Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

ZX-7 vs ZX-10

Hello all,

So i have owned an ME Super, and currently have a P3n. I have found a listing on my local craigslist for a used ZX-7 and ZX-10. Both are around the same price, minus accesories, but I was wondering what the differneces are if any between the 2. I downloaded both the manuals from pentaxslr.com, but user experience is always a better resource.

Also the ZX-7 with lens and case is $100. Does that sound like a decent ballpark, or should I eBay for a better price?

THanks for all replys,

Travis

03-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm not sure about pricing but, Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page has the body details; Pentax Z/PZ-Series Film Bodies
03-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Eh. They're similar, but I would get the ZX-7 if only for the reason that it has a metal lens mount (as opposed to plastic)

MZ-7 / ZX-7
MZ-10 / ZX-10

$100? Depends on what lens is included. If it's something boring like a 28-80 I would pass and look on eBay instead. If it's a better/more expensive lens, go for it.
03-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've got a ZX-7, like new, that I'll sell you for $50 + shipping. Got it in a lot with a ZX-5n (what I really wanted). Let me know if you're interested.

03-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I got a zx-L (better than the zx7, IMO), for 60$ with a 28-80 on the bay...

The ZX-L has for it:
- 1/4000 instead of 1/2000
- Sync at 1/125 instead of 1/100
- AF-C in sport mode
- P-TTL support (yep, Wireless works too!)
- some options (i.e. leave the leader out on rewind, great if you're into developping the films yourself)
03-31-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty happy with a ZX-7 that came attached to a lens

It can be used with new and old lenses, and has a good metering system.

Can not comment on the MZ-10 though
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hrm, well, if he isn't interested in that ZX-7, I might possibly be. I haven't really decided what I might like in an AF body, (Kind of leaning toward a PZ-1P but that's not in the budget for a while, I think. There's little point getting too fancy till I get hold of an 85 (my favorite focal length) or maybe a 77. (More useful on the digital end of double duty, and just so lovely. But that'd take some saving. )

Anyway, my thought is that now I'm a little more situated with digital, I might just start getting my Canon film bodies much-needed tune-ups, and shoot with Pentax for film in the meanwhile. Just an idea I've been tossing around since it seems some of these AF bodies are going cheap right now.

Thing is, I haven't been able to suss out the controls for all of these models, though. With the ZX types, is it possible/easy to control the aperture with a lens set to A? (What I would like, here, is to be able to swap lenses between digital and film bodies a little more elegantly. I'm also just considering getting a Super Program and leaving it in aperture priority when I'm not actually shooting, but I kind of want some autofocus film to fall back on on eye fatigue days, anyway.

Actually, someone was selling a PZ-70... Anyone think much of those? (I guess double-digits probably means plastic lens mount? )
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #8

Most importantly, for me anyways, the ZX-L has spot metering.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, I got a zx-L (better than the zx7, IMO), for 60$ with a 28-80 on the bay...

The ZX-L has for it:
- 1/4000 instead of 1/2000
- Sync at 1/125 instead of 1/100
- AF-C in sport mode
- P-TTL support (yep, Wireless works too!)
- some options (i.e. leave the leader out on rewind, great if you're into developping the films yourself)

03-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

depends what lens is included on it.
i would tend to go for a ZX-L (MZ-6) or ZX-5n for a bit more

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/44525-hands-co...6-vs-mz-s.html
03-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

The ZX-7 has on-body aperture control for A lenses. The ZX-10 doesn't.

This was key to me -- otherwise I would have considered them interchangeable. However, having a ZX-7, I think that the build quality is a tiny bit better than the ZX-10.
04-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think i'm going to go with the ZX-7. This is mainly because of the price and availability. The reason I was originally looking was because I found some Pentax film bodies on craigslist. I own a K200d and just want a body to be able to shoot some occasional film. Had an ME Super, and P3n, but i'm looking for some more feature rich bodies, that will work with my not so old lenses.

ZX-L looks tempting, but i'm not ready to shell out $35-75 dollars for one.

Thanks for the input, and of course more opinions are always welcome.

Anyone have experience with 28-90 lens...? Thoughts?
04-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
Anyone have experience with 28-90 lens...? Thoughts?
Pentax Lens Review Database - 28-90mm F3.5-5.6

Not great, apparently, but probably serviceable.

If you can wait a bit for a separate deal on a lens, I highly recommend the FA 28-105mm (rebadged as Tamron and Promaster). I got the Promaster variant for $55 and it's been quite a good lens for me so far.
04-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

And don't forget to grab a zx-m split screen!
You can order them directly from Pentax Service, part #27390 L2 (at least in Europe)...
Pentax France still has a bunch of them, and the best part is : they are nearly free!!!!
I paid 16€ (shipping included!) for 3 zx-m split screens!!!
04-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
And don't forget to grab a zx-m split screen!
You can order them directly from Pentax Service, part #27390 L2 (at least in Europe)...
Pentax France still has a bunch of them, and the best part is : they are nearly free!!!!
I paid 16€ (shipping included!) for 3 zx-m split screens!!!
Which cameras will this fit? Will it work with a ZX-5?
04-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Erik : hummm, I don't really know... All I can say is that I've ZX-m splits installed in both my ZX-L and ZX-7...

I'd be inclined to believe that the whole ZX line has interchangeable screen...