Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Nice clear images showing the difference there Seaain.

Going on this I have both late model Spotmatic SP's (going on the image on the meter switch you have posted).

The Serial Numbers on mine are:
#1498694 = the freebie one given to me by my Mother-in-law
#2940863 = The clean Spotmatic SP I purchase off RayAllen (forum member)

04-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow -- great explanation. Given all this, do you know where your camera falls model-wise?
04-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Wow -- great explanation. Given all this, do you know where your camera falls model-wise?
Yes... Spotmatic (1) - Early type (P/No.231) - First Stop-down TTL metering 7 / 1964 - 1965.

The point is made briefly here that this was the first stop-down TTL metering camera. See also: Pentax Spotmatic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They put it a little differently... they qualify with "successful" which I take to mean commercially successful or mass produced.

woof!
04-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
What I am looking for is an original manual for an Early Spotmatic. There are a number of manuals and I am wondering if anyone can identify the right one for me. Never seen one. I have several later versions, but no early versions. It has to exist... Perhaps the easiest identifier is that the meter switch is half as wide as the later one. Any help would be appreciated...

woof!
Seaain: Just checked my old paper collection (I really did some less than intelligent buying before 2005) and I do have an October 1965 Lenses manual and a Honeywell Spotmatic II if you are interested. Kim Coxon used my scans of the Spot II manual on Pentax-Manuals.com.

I realize these are later than your cutoff for the early Spotmatic but perhaps you have a use for them.

I'll send them with my compliments if you want them.

04-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I do have an October 1965 Lenses manual and a Honeywell Spotmatic II if you are interested.

I'll send them with my compliments if you want them.
Thank you very much! This is most unexpected. If there is anything I can ever do to return this kindness, please let me kinow!

Seaain
04-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Also, on the old ones the D-rings are shaped like the AOHC logo - kind of a triangle with "clipped" corners. I need to find some of those.
Seaain
Seaain, I have a set of the clipped corner rings in my parts box. If you want them, they are yours.

CW
04-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Seaain, I have a set of the clipped corner rings in my parts box. If you want them, they are yours.

CW
Wow... thanks very much... will send PM confirming address. Most kind. I don't know how to thank you enough.

Seaain

06-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Having recently acquired a Spotmatic I am interested in seeing the pictures in this thread. But they show as "Content protected by owner"

Thanks,
06-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Info

Started using the bosses Spotmatic in '69 but my own first real camera was an F by another well known company.

Have always liked the feel, compactness and screen image of the Pentax. They are also well sealed and grunge is kept on the outside. Have been purchasing non-metered Pentaxes the last few years, the same, well made feel. May have to start looking closer at the Spotmatics I find at yard sales. All that said I have never liked "stop down metering".
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Having recently acquired a Spotmatic I am interested in seeing the pictures in this thread. But they show as "Content protected by owner"

Thanks,
Sorry. Fixed... again
06-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by puderse Quote
May have to start looking closer at the Spotmatics I find at yard sales.
I am selling a very good Spotmatic body right now. I just redid all the seals and it is quite clean. Meter works flawlessly and is agrees with all of my other bodies.

With the purchase of the early Spotmatic, I simply have too many. Five to be exact.

Feel free to make an offer.

woof
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks.
Funny, pictures open in one computer but on another they still show as protected.
Interesting: Mine has all the features of a later model (switch, Honeywell font, counter height and no screw on top right) however the serial number is early style.

I'll give it a good cleanup (without taking anything apart) and post pics of it later.

Thanks,
06-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks.
Funny, pictures open in one computer but on another they still show as protected.
Cache. Go to the page. Hold the keyboard shift button down and click the refresh button on the button bar. That will force a reload.

Interesting: Mine has all the features of a later model (switch, Honeywell font, counter height and no screw on top right) however the serial number is early style.
Early serials went up to 108nnnn Yours is just past that at 116nnnn

I'll give it a good cleanup (without taking anything apart) and post pics of it later.
Would love to see it.

woof!
06-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Further more investigation indicates that later models also have a film roller in the camera back. Mine does not have it.
So that makes mine an earlier later model
One more thing, I'm cleaning it, so if I get it spotless, does it becomes just a Matic?
Joking aside, the battery cap has seen better days. Is it possible to get a new one? Or maybe the whole bottom plate?

Thanks,
06-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Joking aside, the battery cap has seen better days. Is it possible to get a new one? Or maybe the whole bottom plate?
Try this. Contact the seller and ask if this is for a plain spotmatic... not an SPF, not an SPII, but an SP ...

NEW PENTAX SPOTMATIC BATTERY CAP REPLACEMENT PART - eBay (item 220427460736 end time Jul-03-09 09:55:50 PDT)

woof