Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Just picked up a YE35 -- Questions...

Just picked up a Yashica Electro 35 GS. The guy was selling a K1000 and the YE35 for $20 each OBO. The K1000 had a SMC-M F2 lens on it but was pretty junky... The shutter didn't fire at 1sec, the lens didn't have the rubber focusing grip and looked pretty grimey/spotted. Also, the hotshoe was bent up and I couldn't fit my flash into it. I was really looking for a K1000, but the YE35 looked in better shape and so I decided to pick it up instead based on some advice from people here.

Couple questions....

The outer-most ring on the lens is bent (due to dropping most likely). Anyone know if it can be (easily) replaced? It's pretty much just cosmetic at this point, but if I decided to re-sell or trade it I might consider fixing it.

It's currently sans battery. I think I'm going to pick up a battery conversion thing from Yashica guy, but in the mean time I might try to put a few rolls through it without the battery. I've read that without the battery, the shutter only/always fires at 1/500. But, is the "B" setting supposed to work without the battery? Right now, when I set it to "B," it still seems like its firing at 1/500. Normal?

Thanks,
Jordan

04-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While I haven't checked without any battery - the yashica elecronic shutter works by slowing the shutter down from 1/500. Given there is no other mechanical speed, you're probably stuck with the 1/500. However, while waiting for the yashica guy battery (excellent by the way), you can jury rig a temporary thing using aluminum foil and the battery you'd get from the yashica guy (I'm too lazy to look up the model). That works in a pinch.
04-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Without a battery, you have only 1/500s no matter what mode it's in. Although it's not the worst thing for some Sunny f/16 action with ISO 400 film

I would also highly recommend a disassembly and cleaning of the viewfinder windows and parallax mirror. Matt Denton's site has a good DIY, if I remember right. It really makes a night and day difference.

If you want to replace the dented front ring, you'd need the whole optical group, I think, since it unscrews as one piece.

Edit: I also recommend disassembly not only for cleaning, but the first copy I had came with 2 broken wires connecting to the exposure meter. I would have had to remove the entire rangefinder section to repair them (no thanks on a $15 cam! It was an extremely clean cam so I passed it on). They were painfully visible once the top cover was removed.

Current one...no broken wires and I have a clear viewfinder. It's true what they say...when clean, they're amazing!
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
battery

There are three ways I know of to solve the battery problem.

(1) Easiest: get a PX32 alkaline. Right size, right voltage. Adorama and B&H photo both sell them. Drop one in and you're ready to go.

(2) Most likely to be locally available: I haven't tried it but some people will stack a CR123 with a pair of Eveready 357s (a.k.a. SR44), because that way you can get it all at your drugstore. 3 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 6 volts, and the length is supposed to come out about right. Use tape or cardboard or some other filler to make the diameters work. Not sure if it's a great idea to mix lithium and silver oxide batteries though.

(3) Best option, IMO: Get a PX28L. Since it's lithium, it should last longer than the PX32 even though it's smaller and less expensive. It needs either an adaptor or some creativity. I wrapped mine in some masking tape to make it wider (not too much, didn't want to get it stuck), and added a bit of spring metal at the end to fill the length gap. Available at Adorama, B&H, probably lots of places.