Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which film has most DR & which classic Pentax cameras have 1/2000 or faster shutter?

Pretty much in the title. If I'm shooting film, I want every advantage I can have. I don't need super contrasty film. I'd like to take as much use of the still superior DR of film -- so which 100ISO or faster film has this?

Also, which Pentax film cameras have a fast shutter? My Spotmatic II feels slow -- I'd like to use larger apertures in daylight. Also, I'd like it to be one of those that look a bit like the Spotmatic. No plastic cameras.

Thanks for your time

04-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The ME Super has 1/2000s.
04-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the most DR is in cinema film... good luck packing that into your camera and finding a place that will develop a strip

save for kodachrome, you're best bet is to stick with negatives if you want DR
04-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
which Pentax film cameras have a fast shutter? My Spotmatic II feels slow -- I'd like to use larger apertures in daylight. Also, I'd like it to be one of those that look a bit like the Spotmatic. No plastic cameras.
I don't think there is any screwmount Pentax that is faster than 1/1000 sec.

I have a Chinon and a Porst with 1/2000 sec speed.

I think the simplest answer for you is to use a neutral density filter.

04-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the quick replies, all of you!
Oh, negatives certainly. I was thinking which brand & type.

And getting a Chinon sounds simpler than using a filter! K mount would be fine. I'll look at ME Super.
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #6

Chinon SLR were well made cameras, too. They had done a really good job!

Ricoh SLR, too.

Phenix from China is producing new and cheap made full mechanical SLR with K-Mount. But the light-meters are bad.
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/assets/images/shop/items/28100/11213-zoom.jpg
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

For 1/2000th, manual focus and non cheesy plastic bodies, you have the ME Super, LX, and Super-A / Super-Program. Super program is entirely battery dependent, LX is mechanical from X-sync (1/75th) up to 1/2000th, and the ME Super will fire @ 1/125 without batteries.
04-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, thanks!

04-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here is the overview of Pentax cams :

Pentax Camera Bodies

(The MZ-S is magnesium body, but is AF and doesn't look like spottie)
04-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Pretty much in the title. If I'm shooting film, I want every advantage I can have. I don't need super contrasty film. I'd like to take as much use of the still superior DR of film -- so which 100ISO or faster film has this?

Also, which Pentax film cameras have a fast shutter? My Spotmatic II feels slow -- I'd like to use larger apertures in daylight. Also, I'd like it to be one of those that look a bit like the Spotmatic. No plastic cameras.
I ** love ** Fuji Reala. I personally think it has a very nice range. The following photo is harsh, but I think it makes something of a point. I was actually trying to push range as well as testing the exposure meter on the camera with which this was taken (A ZX-M). It does not say everything, but note that while the highlights are losing detail, they are not yet quite blown. This especially true on the column. With a little bit of PP you could get that detail back I think. Plenty of shadow detail where there are shadows.

Pentax film camera with speed above 1000 that is not polycarbonate and looks like a Spotmatic? Pentax LX. Why compromise?

Despite the requirement for no polycarbonates, I think you should try to find a ZX series and see if you still feel it is not a relatively substantial camera. Especially with the ZX-nn battery grip installed. It converted me from metal camera only mindset.

woof!
04-07-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TriX or PlusX pan will give you what you want to start with.

Or get some Rollei 25 or EFKE 25 for full sun, that way you do not have to worry about fast speeds.
04-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello,

Well, if you are really into fast speed, the Z1 or Z5 are your bet (MZ-S is simply too expensive!) at 1/8000. They are cheap too...

MZ6 or MZ3 can do 1/4000. (mz6 has the advantage of being PTTL compliant, if you have a 540 or 360 flash).

Now, as for a high DR negative, you have either Kodak's Portra 160 or Fuji's NPS...
These are favored by wedding photogs as they handle quite easily the White Dress / Black Suit nightmare...
Using them, I was able to handle some high contrast situations that would be quite hard on DSLRs:

(Kodak 160VC - Vivid Color, not the best)

Anyway, I personally feel that nearly any negative film can handle a broader DR than an unprocessed digital picture (this feeling comes from shooting and scanning nearly one hundred negative rolls during the past 3 years, against one year of shooting with K10/K20 DSLRs, before someone comments about unproved or hearsay theories I may have).
Now, a properly processed digital pic surely can rivalize with those high contrast / low DR negatives, but it takes more time and work to do so.
I've already accidentally overexposed a Kodak Ultra Gold 100 (really contrasty neg), by 4 stops (white pic guaranteed on any DSLR), and the resulting shot was still usable for a 10x15 (but nothing more).

Of course, it all then depends upon your workflow for digitally acquiring these negatives.
04-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote

Anyway, I personally feel that nearly any negative film can handle a broader DR than an unprocessed digital picture (this feeling comes from shooting and scanning nearly one hundred negative rolls during the past 3 years, against one year of shooting with K10/K20 DSLRs, before someone comments about unproved or hearsay theories I may have).
Now, a properly processed digital pic surely can rivalize with those high contrast / low DR negatives, but it takes more time and work to do so.
no digital camera can rival negatives, it is not hearsay and i'm surprised you think that others think the same..

the only way any digital SLR can match negative film is by bracketing + exposure blending

if anything, DSLRS's should be compared to Slides.
04-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
no digital camera can rival negatives, it is not hearsay and i'm surprised you think that others think the same..
ever tried the Fuji S5? it's supposed to be the best. how it compares to film, i don't know.
it's the wedding photographer's digital camera ... white dress + black tux + bright sunlight = nightmare
04-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
ever tried the Fuji S5? it's supposed to be the best. how it compares to film, i don't know.
it's the wedding photographer's digital camera ... white dress + black tux + bright sunlight = nightmare
yeah i read that it has a "film" look to it, although there are 3rd party softs out there that can do that for you, you pick a film from a drop box and it makes it look like that , i forgot the name, my friend gave it a try.

still without messing around or exposure blending you cant reach the raw DR capabilies of negative film

although i'm sure that will change in 5 years, then film will really be obsolete