Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME Super Mirror Stuck up- easy fix??

I picked up a second ME Super off the bay to scavenge the focus screen and as a general parts camera. As soon I got got it though, I noticed how much better condition it is in than mine. Now I don't know if I want to part it out if is a simple fix.

Anyone have any experience with this failure type to know if it is a simple fix? The seller evidentally didn't know what he was working with because he claimed the mirror fell out and he couldn't find it. When I got it and saw it was flipped up I had to chuckle a bit. I don't know if he was torquing on the advance lever or anything causing further damage.

The Advance lever only swings out like it is cocked for a new picture, but the shutter release button feels like as it does if you press it after releasing, but before advancing the film.

If there's there's a good chance she's junk on the inside and not worth the hassle, I'm ok with that because I don't "need" another camera. I did buy it for parts after all...

04-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Could be one of the failure modes discussed here:

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The previous post had links that give enough information to figure it out. With a working camera to compare, take the bottom plates off both, look at where everything is, and follow the advice about resetting the camera. With some luck, you can reset the camera and get it firing reliably again.
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sound good. Thanks a lot for the links. They look far more useful than anything I was able to find. Now to use up the roll in the first camera so I have it as a guide.

04-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera Repair and Service

Go to the Camera Repair and Service section

Camera Repair and Sercive - Pentax Forums.com

and review the link for Eric Hendrickson. At no financial risk to you (other than the first postage) you will recieve a compete Estimate of what it will cost to bring BOTH cameras back to factory spec.'s.

Many here swear by Eric's work - he is that good.

Prices are pre-listed on the website, but are about $65 for a complete CLA for an MESuper.