Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #1

Opening Pentax ME-super

Dear All,

A friend of mine got a Pentax ME-super from a yard sale for me. This camera does not have a film winding knob so I'm unable to open up the film compartment. Also even after I put in fresh batteries, the meter as well as the shutter control buttons (which seem to be electronic) don't seem to work. I would rather open it up myself and learn a little bit about cameras instead of spending $60-70 for getting it repaired from a pro shop. Could you please give me some suggestions before I do this?

Thanks,
T

04-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Repair??? Doesnīt make sense. Get a second "complete" ME Super. Itīs a great camera with 1/2000s!
04-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by toylas Quote
Dear All,

A friend of mine got a Pentax ME-super from a yard sale for me. This camera does not have a film winding knob so I'm unable to open up the film compartment. Also even after I put in fresh batteries, the meter as well as the shutter control buttons (which seem to be electronic) don't seem to work. I would rather open it up myself and learn a little bit about cameras instead of spending $60-70 for getting it repaired from a pro shop. Could you please give me some suggestions before I do this?

Thanks,
T

Check out this link:

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings

Surprising what's "under the bonnet"!
04-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Play with that one, but spend $50 or so on a working camera and keep that one as an "organ donor".

04-09-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
get a MG or a MV that are cheaper and can be used as donors for the same part.
I believe you can also use that part from many other cameras
04-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And if you are serious about wanting to tear into it. Here is the service manual for the ME Super. And a link to a few others. Have fun!
04-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #7

How to open a camera with no crank release...

To actually get the back open, you have to bend a paper clip straight. Then bend one end into an 'L' shape, with the bottom of the "L" being only big enough for the hole. You may have to bend a bit more so it can hook the catch in the hole and then pull. Should open fairly easy.

About the meter and the battery. I would make sure the contacts for the battery are very clean.

That's my two cents.

Last edited by digitalphil; 04-09-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: ...more info.
04-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote

About the meter and the battery. I would make sure the contacts for the battery are very clean.
and the batteries not installed upside-down
04-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. The manual is like a godsend for what I was thinking of doing though I don't think i'll need to open it that much now. Just fresh batteries and some outer cleaning got it working almost OK. the only thing left now is the film winder knob and getting the film compartment opened. The screws are very tight maybe because of years of dust and rust accumulation. The electronics seems to be working fine. The button for increasing the shutter speed seems to be a little jumpy though. I'll get back once I get a roll run through it.

T
04-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, if the paper clip idea didn't work, you should be able to get it with the head of a common nail, that'll go in, then you shift it to one side and pull up, that should be sufficient to do the job.