Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Slide + Light Table + Loupe = Awesomeness

my Pentax 5.5x loupe came in, i thought it was pretty expensive for a small magnifying glass. when it came in, i realized why it was so expensive! the glass inside is 49mm diameter, same as most pentax lenses!

you'll here me say this again and again, if you shoot slide, might as well go medium format if you can! the point of slide is to see what you're shooting.

slide taken on Adam's Yashica 124G (great machine thanks!). it's a 4"x5" light table with 6x6 Velvia 100

04-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow -- that lens IS sharp!

Those huge negatives are really cool to look at. Too bad I'm too lazy to ship stuff out for processing and such.

I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Adam
04-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K100d--Life is Good!

BTW I shoot slide film because that was the media required by most magazines for submissions back in the '80's and '90's. Dialed it in and still love it, though digi keeps creeping into my shooting.
04-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Transparencies were the ONLY stuff to use for 4-color offset mag submission since forever:

Before scanning, everything had to be mechanically separated into Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. And basically, you had one level of the printing business called "engravers," who basically just reshot your transparency 4 times onto b&w film. Each pass recorded C, Y, M, or K. Filters were used to isolate the one color from the others, and you just couldn't do this with neg film. (Actual digital transparency scanners, drum scanners, came into being in the 80s, but the majority of stuff was still done the old conventional way.)

Your conventional engraver then sent the engraved plates, or just the 4 pieces of film, to a "regular" printer to actually print the job. The engraver was considered prepress, that's all, but he was a big part of the process.

04-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very, very cool....
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Keep these slide film posts coming, people! I've got a roll of 135 Provia 100F mailed out and I'm itching to hold it up to my window to take a peek. I hope it's easier to scan than C41.

P.S. k100D, that loupe is massive! how much did the lightbox set you back BTW?
04-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
kinda pricey now i think of it
Dotline Petite Lightbox 4x5 | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

it takes 4AA's, so i use the ones from the K100D. small size makes it very handy.
a plug for freestyle too, try to support them if you can. they are one of the few really supporting Film photography and they have plenty of things that are at more than reasonable prices, especially their Arista films.

Last edited by k100d; 04-11-2009 at 08:16 PM.
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use an old 50mm prime that has a bad aperture ring as my loupe. Works well.

Your lightbox is tiny, when I got mine a long time ago, I decided I wanted something big enough to put an entire roll of 35mm slides on at once.

I suppose getting a box the size of a 17in laptop was a bit overkill!!! At least if if get into large format or when I want to view my xrays I have something to use.

That said, being able to lay out a whole roll of slides is nice when editing is a really nice thing.

04-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i just didn't want a big box lying around in my house that attacts dust!
can you explain how you use the 50mm as a loupe?
04-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i just didn't want a big box lying around in my house that attacts dust!
can you explain how you use the 50mm as a loupe?
Yeah, when I turn it on it literally lights up the room. Dust is impossible to stop on anything, those swiffer wipes do a good job keeping it at bay, as well as canned air.

The lens as a loupe? just open up the aperture and look through the front element and you have a 5X loupe. It's pretty high quality but it is sensitive to eye position.

Works well enough for me to edit out the marginal losers (slightly soft focus) before scanning. Didn't really intend for this to be used like that, but since the lens was useless I figured it was worth a shot after reading about someone else recommending this method.
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, the Pentax loupe is a great lens. I've had one for some 7 years now, I think. I still use it from time to time - but LightRoom does the magnifications for the k10d. LOL