Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Fomapan 100 R B&W Reversal Film

Just wondering if anyone has tried this B&W reversal film and how they found it.
I shot 10 rolls on a recent trip and as per dr5 labs advice, pushed it to 160 ISO.
You need to send the film to Denver for processing, so itís like using Kodachrome 64 slide film.

Here is some more info on the film:

dr5 CHROME - Black and White transparency process + THE ONLY RELIABLE SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE

I really liked the results and dr5 is a great processing lab to deal with. You can select from two developers: neutral or sepia. The sepia was out of service, so I went with neutral. I also choose mounting & boxing, as I still use a slide projector for viewing.

Here are a few sample shots I had scanned at a local lab. All were taken using my Pentax KX:

Attached Images

04-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

how much did the entire service cost door to door?
have you also tried using negative B&W films for the dr5 process?
04-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
$197.00USD for processing, mounting & boxing 10 rolls and the return shipping to Vancouver.

Nope this is the first time I have used the dr5 process.
04-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can never find anything made by Foma over here except for negative B&W film. And all the vendors jack up the price like nobody's business.

04-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice work! Is that greenish tinge characteristic of the film, or due to the scanning?
04-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, the greenish tinge could be from the yellow and orange filters I was using on one lens. This is the first time I have used this film, so I have nothing to compare to.
04-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

interesting stuff, thanks for sharing ... you did you go where there are russian ships and penguins?
are you satisfied enough with it to do it again? ever since i've heard about it, i wanted to try, but i would find it tough to accumulate so many rolls to process w/o getting anxious

if you're not adverse to radio, this is a good listen, interview w/ the creator
Inside Analog Photo Radio - dr5 Chrome Lab | Inside Analog Photo Radio & TV
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I'll check the radio program out. The pictures were taken last month in the Ross Sea area of Antarctica. We traveled on that ship which is now owned by Australians, but the crew is still Russian.

Yes for sure I'll use this film again, I'm going to order five more rolls from Freestyle next week.
I used to use Kodachrome 64 for years, so I'm used to waiting for the processing!

You an EPL fan?

04-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You an EPL fan?
a footie fan in general. a rare breed in canada.
06-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are a few more shots from my latest Fomapan adventure.
All were taken with my KX and the film was pushed to ASA 160.
Attached Images

06-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Here are a few more shots from my latest Fomapan adventure.
All were taken with my KX and the film was pushed to ASA 160.
That is very nice.
Not for everyday because of the developing cost but very nice.

Cheers,
06-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I can never find anything made by Foma over here except for negative B&W film. And all the vendors jack up the price like nobody's business.
Blanco Negro in Sin City's testing some out, with a view to stocking it.

Dunno if they'll bother with 135 stuff, though. They've already got the paper in.
06-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

Dunno if they'll bother with 135 stuff, though. They've already got the paper in.
QuoteQuote:
That is very nice.
Not for everyday because of the developing cost but very nice.
Yes not for everyday use, as it also takes about four weeks round trip to send/receive it for
processing. It's like Kodachrome in away, no local processing unless you live in Denver.
I mostly will use this film when I travel and send multiple rolls in at a time.

Beau Photo in Vancouver will order it for you, but you will have to wait awhile, so I get mine from Freestyle in LA.

Foma Fomapan R100 B&W Reversal Film 35mm x 36 exp. | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
09-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #14

QuoteQuote:
I've tried Blanco Negro a couple of times about film but they're a bit vague about stocks and prices - I never managed to find out exactly what they've got and how much it cost but maybe I never got the right person at the right time.

There's a bloke on OZ eBay, cheap_shots_au, who stocks full range of Foma and Efke stuff, 35mm, medium and large format - even up to 8x10, all really cheaply.
He's got a lot more stuff than he lists though as some of the more obscure film doesn't turn over quick enough to pay the eBay fees.
I've got the Foma reversal film off him and also 8x10 print film for making direct contact prints. I've also found he's great for special orders so long as you've got a few weeks up your sleeve - that includes big bulky stuff like paper as well.

He's not much use with the reversal processing (how I found this thread) so if anyone's got any ideas on cheap dr5 or equivalent ways of doing that kind of thing in this neck of the woods that'd be nice - finding the film's no great problem, figuring out what to do with it afterwards is a pain in the arse...
09-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Yeah, I stumbled across him a fews weeks ago...

Got his own-brand BW, which is awesome. Might give him a go, as it's hard to get BW film beyond the Kodak, Fuji and Ilford stuff down here.

Wait, this is your first post, shootem? You sticking around?