Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax LX, help

Hi

I looking into a Pentax LX and a 15/3,5A lens, but I'm wondering about which price to offer? The LX is has been in proffesional use and looks quite worn, I've not yet gotten an answer to if it is fully funtional. And the 15mm lens looks nice, a few shraches. Haven't seen pictures of the actual lenses there ether but hoping to get them soon.

In that condition, what price shuld I offer the seller not to be rude and not to be offering to much?

//Axel

04-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Hi

I looking into a Pentax LX and a 15/3,5A lens, but I'm wondering about which price to offer? The LX is has been in proffesional use and looks quite worn, I've not yet gotten an answer to if it is fully funtional. And the 15mm lens looks nice, a few shraches. Haven't seen pictures of the actual lenses there ether but hoping to get them soon.

In that condition, what price shuld I offer the seller not to be rude and not to be offering to much?
The value of the LX depends on condition. KEH is selling a "bargain" condition body for about $300 (including FA-1 finder). A mint body in perfect working order is worth more than $400. A worn-out camera body used by a professional photographer will be worth a lot less, especially if it isn't in perfect working order. I personally would not buy a old camera body that has seen heavy use unless it is thoroughly inspected and tested, and the price is too good to pass up.

A common problem with the LX is deterioration of the foam stops in the mirror assembly. This causes the mirror to stick up the first time the shutter is used after it has rested for a day or more. Eventually, it will stick frequently and cause focusing errors due to mirror mis-position. Be sure to check for this condition. Also, worn LXs may not advance the film properly and frames will overlap. Shoot a roll of film and check the uncut slides or negatives for proper spacing of the frames. And check for all of the usual things, like accurate shutter speeds (both electronic and mechanical), metering cell accuracy, TTL flash function, light-tight body (especially by the film winder caps on the bottom), etc.

The Pentax SMC A 15mm f3.5 is a fairly rare and valuable lens. In mint condition, it can sell used for $700-800 or more. I have not personally used this lens, but reports I have read indicate that it gives good results on film bodies and not-so-good results on digital bodies. For film use it is reported to be a fine lens. For digital use, you would be better off with the Pentax DA 14mm f2.8. As with any used lens, condition is key to setting a fair price.
04-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. No I wouldn't choose the 15mm if I was digital (which probably won't happen before Pentax releases a full-frame DSLR), but I've heard it is a wonderful lens on normal SLR cameras.

Does anyone know what the price of the older 15mm/3,5K lens is in good condition. Is it the same as for the 15mm/3,5A or is it cheeper? It's hard to find atleast, and it's also the one I'd rather have of the two.