Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is your format of choice?
Film 89.52%
Digital 89.52%
Preferably film, but also digital 3136.90%
Preferably digi, but film too 3744.05%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started out not thinking film or digital were better than the other.

When I could finally afford a decent camera (because I won a radio contest for a $500 gift certificate to a camera store!) I did really want a digital SLR -- I knew I needed the control of an SLR, and the whole world was going digital, so it made sense. Unfortunately, $500 wouldn't buy any kind of DSLR a couple of years ago. So, I bought a nice clean Nikon F80. The F80 was the basis for a lot of different DSLRs (Nikon D100, Fuji S1, Kodak DCS, etc.) so it really was a modern camera that just happened to shoot film.

Then, I watched the value of film SLRs start to plummet precipitously.... I was really worried that 35mm might not even be available for much longer... plus the F80 and I didn't get along perfectly... so I sold the F80 kit. Luckily I managed to get most of what I had in it.

I decided to test drive a bunch of DSLRs -- Nikon (of course), Canon, Pentax. Wow, any Nikon or Canon that was under $1500 just felt cheap compared to my old F80. Luckily for me, used Pentax DSLRs had also fallen in price. (As good a camera as they are, they don't hold their used price like a Nikon does.) The Pentax cameras had a sturdy build, pretty close to Nikon's selling for twice the price. So, suddenly I was digital.

Since I got a DSLR, and am not worried about investing big dollars in a "flagship" 35mm, I was able to dabble in film gear. The prices continued to plummet, and I now have some really nice stuff -- Pentax manual focus, auto focus, medium format and now LARGE FORMAT! I find I shoot more film than digital, by about 3-to-1. I love the look and the texture.

I will use my DSLR when I must have confirmation of the results, especially when I am experimenting with flash. I have since upgraded my *ist DL to a K10D, which I love. But my 35mm (and larger) film gear is what I shoot most often. Now I've set up a darkroom, and am processing my own black & white. I love both the results and the process, and am glad I have the opportunity to play with both film and digital as appropriate.

04-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot mostly digital, but I've also dabbled in film on and off--right now, it's on. I've got 2 digital bodies, but I'm debating getting rid of one of them; I'm also debating getting rid of my DA21, so the only digital-only lenses I'll have will be the 2 zooms that I use on my K20. Since getting back into film, I'm finding my desire to use it increasing. As to where this will go, we'll have to see...

Heather
04-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm also debating getting rid of my DA21, so the only digital-only lenses I'll have will be the 2 zooms that I use on my K20.
Sounds familiar. I sold my DA70 to finance a Tamron 28-75/2.8.

I have ZERO interest in buying a lens without an aperture ring, and only very little interest in buying any lens that doesn't screw onto the camera.
04-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well as I have been researching film, I am remembering why I invested in digital in the first place. As for color correction(white balance), shake reduction, single set ISO, etc. etc. The convienience factor is definatley there.

Do you find the convenience worth it overall? For those who shoot both, is serious shooting film SLR, and digital snapshots on a P&S, or some other mix?

However, I don't want to pass judgement to quickly. I have put a couple rolls through my newold ZX-7 and have yet to get prints. I'm on vacation and am waiting to get home to develop.

I like the way I care about my film shots. It's makes me slow down, and really consider framing, exposure, and other important details. We shall see if it slowed me down enough to improve my photography (though i wouldn't expect leaps and bounds from 3 rolls of vacation shots)

on a side note I took a day trip to kennedy Space Center 2 days ago. Seems like everyone there had at least 1 camera. Obviously there were ubiqitous P&S, plus CaNikon SLRs, but I saw 2 film shooters (1 pentax!!), and another guy with a K200d.

Anyway, if I do stick with film, is my ZX-7 body enough to experiment with, or should I look for a PZ-1 or MX?

Also does anyone develop themselves, or just let the camera store worry about it?

Thanks for all your input so far.

Last edited by shiestmiester; 04-17-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added info
04-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
Well as I have been researching film, I am remembering why I invested in digital in the first place. As for color correction(white balance), shake reduction, single set ISO, etc. etc. The convienience factor is definatley there.

Do you find the convenience worth it overall? For those who shoot both, is serious shooting film SLR, and digital snapshots on a P&S, or some other mix?

However, I don't want to pass judgement to quickly. I have put a couple rolls through my newold ZX-7 and have yet to get prints. I'm on vacation and am waiting to get home to develop.

I like the way I care about my film shots. It's makes me slow down, and really consider framing, exposure, and other important details. We shall see if it slowed me down enough to improve my photography (though i wouldn't expect leaps and bounds from 3 rolls of vacation shots)

on a side note I took a day trip to kennedy Space Center 2 days ago. Seems like everyone there had at least 1 camera. Obviously there were ubiqitous P&S, plus CaNikon SLRs, but I saw 2 film shooters (1 pentax!!), and another guy with a K200d.

Anyway, if I do stick with film, is my ZX-7 body enough to experiment with, or should I look for a PZ-1 or MX?

Also does anyone develop themselves, or just let the camera store worry about it?

Thanks for all your input so far.
the film process now is expensive, pain in the butt, good scanning is a lot of work. whether you are willing to put up with these issues is up to you. the reasons i use film are: higher dr, IMO better (smaller, smoother shutters, bigger vf's, don't need recharging everyday, don't need to worry about memory cards or storage) cameras, making me work more, the 'permanence' of the images (to me digital is like disposables, i have no attachment to the pictures), the look out of the film

if you're just trying out, the ZX-7 should be good enough. you can even try DA lenses on that body since it has auto aperture.
04-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Sounds familiar. I sold my DA70 to finance a Tamron 28-75/2.8.

I have ZERO interest in buying a lens without an aperture ring, and only very little interest in buying any lens that doesn't screw onto the camera.
Now that I've got the K28/3.5, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have both it and the DA21. I'm going on vacation next week and I'm taking both with me just to see how well they compare to each other out in the field. I will admit that the DA21 is more convenient to use on the digital bodies, but I think I'll be OK with the manual lenses once I get more used to them. I'll be pairing both lenses with the DA55-300 on my digital bodies (I'm leaving the film body at home for this trip) for hiking and such.

I draw the line at screwmounts, though.

Heather
04-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

I draw the line at screwmounts, though.
That's very sensible. No use in starting a new addiction, after all.
04-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That's very sensible. No use in starting a new addiction, after all.
Although you can build up a nice collection of screwmounts for under $400...and once you use a Tak, you may not want to use other MF lenses.

But that's okay. The less Tak buyers the better

04-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteQuote:
But that's okay. The less Tak buyers the better
Amen, brother.
04-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Now, I haven't completely ruled out the idea of getting into screwmounts. I'd have to keep both digital bodies and keep an adapter on the K200 or just take screwmounts on a photo outing and not worry with trying to switch between K-mount and screwmounts on the same body.

I just had a thought--this would give me a good excuse to pick up a Spottie.

Heather
04-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I just had a thought--this would give me a good excuse to pick up a Spottie.
you are treading into dangerous, and potentially expensive and somehow addicting water.
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

without a question digital wins.

BUT

you need to know PP .

film is easier in the sense that most of us giving the film to a pro shop that does the developing and printing for us. and usually does a better job then the average person on photoshop or lightroom .

the more I learn PP + the digital resolution and sharpness of digital.
hands down 35mm film does not get close. (maybe medium format )

and if I am going for a film look I only need to choose which film I want and photoshop does the trick you would never guess it was a digital photo
04-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

So glad I kept my Spottie and its screwmounts, as they're so comfortably familiar and they keep my skills up. However, since I can't justify a slide scanner of my own, and the scan results from the labs around here are either hit-or-miss or hella expensive (or both), I don't shoot slide film much any more. I like modern fine-grain color negative film OK, and still have the occasional decent shot printed large at Prolab in Ballard.

But I mainly shoot digital, because I like working in Photoshop and can get the whole process under my control that way.
04-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
. . . I can't justify a slide scanner of my own, and the scan results from the labs around here are either hit-or-miss or hella expensive (or both). . .
Hmmmm. . . I know of one local lab that offers cheap E-6 film scans using a Noritsu minilab scanner. I tried the service once; the resulting scans were truly awful.

However, you can rent a workstation with a Nikon Coolscan 4000 from Photographic Center Northwest:

http://www.pcnw.org/facilities/digital.php
04-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
...and if I am going for a film look I only need to choose which film I want and photoshop does the trick you would never guess it was a digital photo
Have I got a great site for you! Take a look at LifeInDigitalFilm, where you can download presets that mimic different kinds of film. There are presets for both Lightroom and Adobe Camera RAW. I think this has to be my favorite source for presets, as I've had so much fun with them.

Heather