Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is your format of choice?
Film 89.52%
Digital 89.52%
Preferably film, but also digital 3136.90%
Preferably digi, but film too 3744.05%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Film and/or Digital..?

So just a little question/poll I wanted to post up in the forum. If you shoot film, do you also shoot digital? If so which do you shoot most often?

I own a ZX-7 (recently aquired), and a K200d, which i've had just under a year. I like shooting with both, but it just feels different to shoot with film. With digital you just fire away because you can, but film really makes you slow down, and think.

Anyway, was just getting pissed at digital today so had to write it down to relax myself.

~T

04-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are quite a few of us shooting both here, T. I shot film years ago and took a bit of a sabbatical from photography all together. I got back into shooting again March '08, motivated by expecting my first born, and fell back in love again but this time digital. Bought a K10D initially and about 6mos later picked up a K20D. I ran with both until October when good glass became more of a priority.
I wanted to shoot film too though and picked up a PZ-1. I found I immensely enjoy shooting B&W even though I couldn't wait to get away from it "back in the day". Now I also have a super Program and a growing collection of full frame lenses. And I'm about to order all the supplies to start developing my own film - just have to wait until the end Passover for Adorama and B&H to open back up.

I will likely always shoot more digital than film; it's just more economical and convenient for family/kids stuff and studio experimentation. But when it comes to true satisfaction from photography I don't know if anything will ever surpass film.
04-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Preferably film, but also digital
04-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To be honest, I kinda hate digital, but I still shoot it every now and then. In the past 4 months, I've only taken about 2 digital photos that I've liked. I pretty much only shoot film, but voted digital too.

04-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

until someone makes a reasonable small digital camera, i'm using film as much as i can.
digital has been relegated to anything where i don't care and i need lots and lots of pictures or if my mom wants to 'see' the picture immediately.
04-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There are things that digital does really really well, which I appreciate having grown up with film and the darkroom. Digital is a fantastic photographic tool and a good medium.

However, I carry around a film camera every day, and do much of my shooting with film, even with all the hassles of developing and scanning. I don't necessarily do it because I think there's better quality to be had with film over digital, and the convenience isn't there. I do it because the cameras are smaller, lighter and simpler. I do it because I enjoy the process, and I enjoy shooting with really old cameras. I like the film advance lever. I like having a full 35mm frame. I like being able to see a large view finder.

I don't like the variable quality and the steps needed to (often) get a really good scan.

Oh, and I end up shooting film even on many weekends because my daughter commandeers the K100D for her photo shoots. That for me is the best reason to shoot film...
04-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I like the look of film and the build quality of the equipment. Today, nothing matches it.

Digital gives convenience and that is where is ends, imho. I've taken lots of what I think are pretty good images with digital. There was always something missing. With film I find I'm taking my time and generally making better decisions on what I photograph. I look through the (big!) OVF and decide if its really worth the shot. Do I want to rely on DVDs and Hard drives that can (potentially) fail and loss everything in one swoop? My Dad took loads of photos 40 odd years ago and the slides are still near mint. I like the 'hardcopy' media.

My system listed cost me about $400, the taxes on a D700 would be more than that, much more. I'd really like to see a large printed photo taken with a 35mm SLR film body and the same thing taken with a D700. Just to satisfy my curiosity, not to prove anything. It would be very interesting either way.

With the new cost of bodies, flashes and specifically lenses I just won't be paying for the convenience of digital.

Last edited by ajuett; 04-14-2009 at 09:03 AM.
04-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i prefer the 35mm format

since pentax digital only offers an aps-c format

i have to resort to using pentax film cameras, so i can continue using my glass.

however canon and nikon both have apsc and 35mm formats

if pentax made a 35mm format digital camera i would use it and forget about film all together.

04-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I shoot mostly digital at work, but on my days off prefer to shoot film.

Actually, if money were no object I would probably shoot nothing but slide film. A good slide viewed on a light table through a loupe will make you want to find the guy who invented digital and spit in his eye.
04-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got my first SLR about two years ago maybe less. Don't really remember.. Many of you would remember. It was a K1000 and had the usual experiences of tearing film, opening the back with the film exposed, shooting what I thought was a roll only to find I either forgot to load it or the roll never hooked on to the lever. I would forget to set the ASA settings for the different films and would end up with a mess...Oh prior I had an Olympus that my wife used most of the time. She bought it right after we got married in 1985, but it had no focus lens, it was pretty automatic....

I got my first digital camera back in the mid 90's. It was a SONY that used 1.44 floppy disc for storage...I tell ya, it was the best thing since slice bread. As time went on, I fell in love with photography..I would buy point and shoots as I could afford them which was not to often...I have spent the majority of my life broke as a joke and could not even pay attention...So when I would buy a new camera it was like I bought me a rolls royce... Anyway my main reason was for work and our website...But as time would go on through the 90's I started to want more. I confess what did it for me was watching shows like CSI and NCIS...I said, I got to have me One of those Cameras...They where using NIKON and mostly D50's so that was what I wanted. By that time, my business was doing extremely well and I could afford most any camera I wanted, but I was still hesitant to spend money because I was so used to being broke, I felt like I still was....Anyway, after an episode of NCIS, i decided that I was going to get me that Nikon D50...Looked in the paper and saw that best buy had the new D40..A quick look in the internet, told me that is was the replacement for the disconnected D50 and got great reviews...So I had my wife go to buy it for me...Well that night and following day, ''she'' was hooked on it. She took ''my'' camera...A few days later, I sent my Daughter Cathryn to Samys camera to buy me another D40 as best buy was out..Well Samy's was out as well so she bought me a Pentax K110D... I used it for a few days and it felt more rugged than the Nikon D40 so I decided to keep it...Still after a couple of weeks, I still wanted a Nikon because of all the TV shows...Lame I know, but it worked on me...I went to Samys and bought a D200...It was big, heavy and cool, but the pictures where not as good as the K110D, so I went back to the pENTAX. Well that D200 sat for a very long time until I gave it to my Daughter...Anyway, I then bought me the K10D and to my surprise, it shot pictures as bad as the D200...wHY? Because I had no clue as to what I was doing...I had to learn ''photography''..i was one of those blame the camera, not the fellow behind the view finder folks...So I quickly learned by reading and trying stuff....BUT, NOTHING TAUGHT ME MORE ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY, THAN THAT OLE K1000 ANTIQUE FILM CAMERA....I learned about composition, shutter speeds, aperture settings, DOF, all that stuff...But I also discovered something else...I love the look of film. The grain, the 3d type affect, the advance lever for the film, the taking my time to find my shot, the waiting time to get my film back is like waiting for Christmas...So these days, i find myself shooting film most of the time...Sorry for the rant.
04-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
A good slide viewed on a light table through a loupe will make you want to find the guy who invented digital and spit in his eye.
Amen, nothing looks better!! It will always be slide film for me, colour and B&W. (I'm dumping B&W Ilford film and switching to Fomapan B&W reversal.)
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

interesting story javier ... i agree, CSI makes SLR's look so pro when you don't know anything. i can't actually imagine real CSIs using D40+Kits

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Amen, nothing looks better!! It will always be slide film for me, colour and B&W. (I'm dumping B&W Ilford film and switching to Fomapan B&W reversal.)
i took a picture of a brick wall on some mf slide film and it looks dumb on the computer screen, but on slide under a loop, i am totally captivated. gives a new meaning to "looks 3-d"
04-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #13

Both.

I often use a film camera when I know what I want to shoot[*]; film's just too rich for me for snapshots. Typically I revist a place with a film camera after I've shot it extensively with the K20d and thought about the results. I suppose you can say I use the K20d to take photographs (i.e. document) and film (or digital!) to make them, but that would be pretentious and not exactly jive with the results.

[*] Unless it's action, macro, or an event.
04-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Actually, if money were no object I would probably shoot nothing but slide film. A good slide viewed on a light table through a loupe will make you want to find the guy who invented digital and spit in his eye.
Same here - I love slides and B&W. I also love the feel/ergonomics of my film SLRs. But I must confess that I probably shoot more digital simply for convenience/cost.
04-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I confess what did it for me was watching shows like CSI and NCIS...I said, I got to have me One of those Cameras...They where using NIKON and mostly D50's so that was what I wanted.
LOL! I've got a D50 up on eBay right now if you really want one...

Nikon D50 DSLR + SB-600 Flash + 18-55 + 28-200 EXC NR! - eBay (item 270373014314 end time Apr-16-09 19:22:47 PDT)