Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K2-what are they like ?

I bought my Pentax ES 11 sometime in May to July 1975. I can't recall the exact date...I'll have to track down the receipt one of these days.

It was an excellent camera...electronic shutter...

It was the last of the screw mounts.

I have often wondered if I should of held out for a bit longer and bought a Pentax K2.....which if I recall was the top model of the first series of K bayonet models.

I think the K2 was the equivalent of the ES 11...the logical progression in the development of it's forerunner the ES 11.

Anyone have a K2...what was it like...did you use it many years...any problems ?

04-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are one of the best. I have had one for 6-months. It is my favorite Pentax Body.
04-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hi,

My first SLR was the Pentax K2. I bought it used about twenty years ago and used it until I got a Z1. What I liked about the K2:

-Rugged
-Reliable
-Good metering
-Compact body

What I didn't like:
- The way to change the film sensitivity (a ring around the bayonet mount
04-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what are the differences between the K2 and KX?

04-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
The most obvious is aperture-priority automation on the K2. The KX is a full manual, full mechanical camera. There are many other differences (shutter, controls, viewfinder display, etc.) as well.

Steve
04-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Different shutter.
The standard K2 has no judas window for the apperture to be seen in the viewfinder. You need the K2 MDM for that. KX has it as standard.
K2 has apperture priority (automatic exposure time) as an alternative (inherrited from teh ES II I think), which KX has not.
KX has the ordinary conservative way of setting the ISO while the K2 has an odd solution with a ring around the lens.
K2 has exposure compensation (which you need in the atuomatic mode, but would serve no function on the manual KX).

That is what I can remember right on without checking the spec somewhere.

I have a black KX (used it as late as today actually). A fav. Prefere it because of the apperture info in the viewfinder.
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-Body distinctions

Go Here K-Mount Page -. K Bodies for description of the features of the K2 and KX (and all the other Pentax K bodies).

Ranked by level of features and market segment, pro to student

K2DMD - 1976-1980
K2 - 1975-1977
K2 Motor - unkown
KX - 1975-1977
KM Motor - unknown
KM - 1975-1977
K1000SE - unknown
K1000 - 1976-1997

Note that the highest and lowest models were introduced as line extensions and production continued after the core models were replaced by the ME (1976-1981) and MX (1976-1985)

I've had a KX since 1977 (recently returned to active service) and just got a K2 DMD a few weeks ago.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-15-2009 at 11:26 AM.
04-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to what has been previously mentioned:

- The K2 has shutter speeds up to 8 seconds, the KX only goes to 1 second.
- The K2 has a better mirror lockup button than the KX DOF/Mirror button.
- The whole film loading/advance system is better on a K2.
- The K2 is slightly larger and weighs more than a KX and requires a different case.
- The flash sync speeds are 1/125 on a K2 and 1/60 on a KX.

I have been using a KX since 1975 and a K2 since 2008. Overall I still like the KX better.

Phil.
04-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm grateful for the replies on differences between the K2 and KX. I just got a KX this week, and it came with the m-50mm f/1.4 lens (which I did not know was on it!), so I feel like it's Christmas or something. I'm thinking of sending it off for a complete CLA and making it my main film body. I just love the whole way it looks and feels. Kind of a K1000 on steroids.
04-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm grateful for the replies on differences between the K2 and KX. I just got a KX this week, and it came with the m-50mm f/1.4 lens (which I did not know was on it!), so I feel like it's Christmas or something. I'm thinking of sending it off for a complete CLA and making it my main film body. I just love the whole way it looks and feels. Kind of a K1000 on steroids.
And when you start using it, you will be even more pleased. Your shutter speed is in the finder, your aperture is in the finder, the focusing screen is quite good (there are better ...) and the feel of the old brute is wonderful. I should have kept mine instead of trading it in. Shoulda - woulda - coulda as they say.
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on the KX - you will find an active and growing group of users here in the Film SLR section and I'm comfortable saying you should invest in the CLA! Those who have commented before me are some of the helpful pillars of this community.
04-17-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Go Here K-Mount Page -. K Bodies for description of the features of the K2 and KX (and all the other Pentax K bodies).

Ranked by level of features and market segment, pro to student

K2DMD - 1976-1980
K2 - 1975-1977
K2 Motor - unkown
KX - 1975-1977
KM Motor - unknown
KM - 1975-1977
K1000SE - unknown
K1000 - 1976-1997

Note that the highest and lowest models were introduced as line extensions and production continued after the core models were replaced by the ME (1976-1981) and MX (1976-1985)

I've had a KX since 1977 (recently returned to active service) and just got a K2 DMD a few weeks ago.
What do you like your K2 so far? Is it the version without the exposure time in the viewfinder, and if so, do you miss it a lot? How precise is the apperture priority automatic? And do you find that you use this a lot (and if so, do you use the exposure compensation?), or do you prefere to run it manual like the KX?

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

In addition to what has been previously mentioned:

- The K2 has shutter speeds up to 8 seconds, the KX only goes to 1 second.
- The K2 has a better mirror lockup button than the KX DOF/Mirror button.
- The whole film loading/advance system is better on a K2.
- The K2 is slightly larger and weighs more than a KX and requires a different case.
- The flash sync speeds are 1/125 on a K2 and 1/60 on a KX.

I have been using a KX since 1975 and a K2 since 2008. Overall I still like the KX better.

Phil.
Why do you prefere the KX?

Thinking of getting a K2, but would realy not like to have it without the judas window. Another complication: with both Spotmatic, KX, MX, LX, Super-A, and Program-A in black, I'd very much prefere to have the K2 black also (we all have our fettishes). And that combo: black K2 with judas window are quite rare.
04-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the KX, and although it was my first pentax it was my second body.

I bought it because the one I bought had a ground glass only viewing screen, there are some out there with a split image also.

I really like it because, except for the split image, (or lack of it) it is identical in every way to my ricoh XR2s, in terms of viewfinder, and control location unless you are into splitting hairs like the shutter speed needle is transparent green as opposed to blue

it is an absolute tank, and with a completely mechanically timed shutter can function without batteries.

it made a perfect compliment to my XR2s
04-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Why do you prefere the KX?

The reason I prefer the KX is that I’m more familiar with it. I’ve been using one most of my life, but only got a K2 last year. I can already tell that the K2 is a better camera technically, but I really do dislike the ASA ring.

I’ll always have a soft spot for the KX, so hence it’s the camera I prefer. Is the KX a better camera than the K2? No the K2 is better.
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter

The only camera that has similarities to the K2 is the Mamiya NC1000 and NC100s.

Mamiya NC1000 35mm cameras

The KX is a great camera, but really is a different beast than the K2. The NC1000 is a lot like the K2 and KX but only smaller.