Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

$53AU Pentax MX...

Got it yesterday.

Apparently, the seller (same dude who sold me the Viv Series 1 24-48mm) thought it was broken.

It sorta is (and some bugger's nicked the black tip off the advance lever, but I should be able to fix that) and sorta isn't...the thing is the non-official MLU just works really, really well with it.

I think.

Well, on slow speeds from 1/125 and down, the mirror, nine times outta ten, will get stuck up (the shutter fires properly, et al.)

Think I've found a workaround, maybe.

04-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Well, on slow speeds from 1/125 and down, the mirror, nine times outta ten, will get stuck up (the shutter fires properly, et al.)
my MX does similar, mirror gets stuck up approx. 7 times out of ten.
annoying, since it won't come down unless i fire one at faster speed, 1/250. AND i have to "unlock" the mirror by hand before that (it just bumps up again).

i think we both have candidates for Eric's CLA.
04-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That is exactly what happens to mine, though I didn't elaborate.

250 and above, yep, fine, no worries. But ALSO, at 1/30 and below, provided I hit the shutter release firmly and snappily, the mirror also returns, nine times outta ten.

I've found that if the mirror is stuck up, it'll return if you lower the aperture stop-down lever (the one on the shutter button-side of the K-mount, the one that stops down the lens) the mirror'll return.

I'm guessing (I have the MX Service Manual, but can't for the life of me figure it out) that it's to do with the slow and high-speed shutter assemblies. Maybe the high-speed circuit (I know it's not electric, but can't think of a better term...) - 1/250 and above - hits the aperture stop-down lever differently than slow speeds.

Sounds right, because the amount of time the aperture-stop down lever is activated is, of course, as long as the shutter speed. It's as if the 1/125 and 1/60 speeds move too fast to "hit" the aperture-stop down, as they do correctly in the slower speeds.

If you can get all that.

Still doesn't bring me any closer to fixing it myself, though.

This always happens to me - I have a problem that is very, very similar to problems that have a solution available online, but not exactly the same. Dammit.

Sent a quote request over to cameracheckpoint.com.au, see what happens.
04-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Got a quote back from that camera service guy...

$330. For a "complete overhaul."

Madre de dios. I could buy a perfectly working MX for that! With an M 40mm!

I could also send it direct to Eric - via overnight express courier.

I think I got a blanket quote back, though. Or it's scaremongering - dust on the mirror? Oh, it's gonna need a complete overhaul!

'Specially since the name of the camera wasn't mentioned in their reply. The camera is indeed mechanical, as the people willing to fix it are indeed mechanics...

Sigh. Time to talk to Australia Post.

04-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All right, got a message from carlb, with some excellent advice! Wooo!

elkarrde, the repairer carlb put me onto said the problem we have is due to winding on the shutter, then not firing it for ages. I imagine it stretches a spring or something in it.
04-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #6

If you are still stuck, these people may be able to help. F16 Camera Service

They cleaned and repaired my Spotmatic and Takumars.
04-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grab a manual and maybe a parts donor off fleabay. Got a rather tired Spotmatic and a Practika I can send you for bits if you want to pay the postage your end.