Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me Super - Metering Issues

Hey all,

Anybody ever find an ME super that just wouldn't expose correctly in automatic mode? I have one that underexposes in auto mode intermittenly. Is it a bad sensor? Is there some tuning I can do? Or do I need to replace the electronics?

It's a mechanically sound ME Super...and this particular one is the first Pentax camera I ever held. If someone knows something, help would be appreciated!

04-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i'm not sure what your level of experience is, but you have to remember the camera has a centerweighted meter, not the current matrix meter that new cameras have.

you have to be careful what is in your scene and apply some compensation or use the manual mode in situations with a lot of contrast
04-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've also heard that some newer batteries don't allow the meter to work properly. The guy I bought my refurb kit from for my ME Super included an arcticle from a mag talking about what batteries to avoid. I can't remember what it was about them, batteries were included in the kit.

I'm away from home for a week, so I can't look it up for you. Maybe someone else can either fill in the details or tell me I'm full of hot air.
04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Silver Oxide is supposed to be better because the voltage will drop once it's out of juice. Alkaline has a gently sloping drain curve which may affect meter readings.

04-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

While metering (looking in the viewfinder), wiggle the exposure compensation ring (around the rewind knob) and see if the exposure (shutter speed) changes.

Many times the connections get dirty and foul up the metering. If this is the case, the fix is to disassemble and clean.
04-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
While metering (looking in the viewfinder), wiggle the exposure compensation ring (around the rewind knob) and see if the exposure (shutter speed) changes.

Many times the connections get dirty and foul up the metering. If this is the case, the fix is to disassemble and clean.
The batteries are brand new energizers, so I doubt they are the problem when this new. I just checked it against the light meter in my k1000, and when the k1000 is happy, it says 1/4 second, and the super on auto says 30. EV compensation using the ring round the rewind lever did effect the shutter speed. Are 303/357 batteries right for this camera?
04-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
EV compensation using the ring round the rewind lever did effect the shutter speed. Are 303/357 batteries right for this camera?
I didn't mean "EV compensation using the ring." What I mean is that just wiggling the ring to see if the shutter speed changes. If the cause of the problem is loose connections around the ring, it will show.

I don't know about 303/357 batteries. I use LR44 or AS76.

04-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't mean "EV compensation using the ring." What I mean is that just wiggling the ring to see if the shutter speed changes. If the cause of the problem is loose connections around the ring, it will show.

Sometimes the wires/connections/ electronics get corroded. I sent mine to Eric for a CLA and he has replaced a number of meter electronic with good used parts from donor camera (all covered under the original CLA) - cmaera works perfectly now, but it needs regular exercise to stay in shape.

The batteries specified in the manual are 1.5 volt Silver Oxide batteries. At the time they were Mallory MS76H or Eveready S76E. 303/357 - replaces (among others) LR44. 303 is a SiOx bettery, I beleive
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I checked mine against my MX and SuperProgram, all seem to have the same metering reading. I have yet finished the first roll from my current ME Super SE, but I've been very happy w/ the results from my MX and SuperProgram

BTW, I use LR44 batteries 'cause it's the only one we can easily find in local stores.
04-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've had the problem SOldBear has had with an apparent intermittent connection on the speed dial. Haven't torn mine apart to clean the variable resistor there, but once I noticed it, just working the knob around seemed to help.

The Energizer 357 batteries you can buy anywhere are identical to AS76 as far as I know, and they work in the ME Super. But instead of a pair of those I've started using a single Sanyo CR1/3N. Seems to work fine and should last years and years (lithium).
04-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

First clean the battery contacts, with a rubber eraser (end of a pencil) they maybe a bit fouled
If that does not work, wiggle the exp-comp ring several times, there maybe a layer of oxide that can be cleaned
Then you try to open the camera, check the KYphoto website for an article about MESUper ramblings
04-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster

The EV ring seems to be nice and tight, no wiggle. It's underexposing by more than 2 EV though, so I didn't think a loose ring could have caused it.

I'm going to go to my local camera shop and see if I can find just a different set of batteries to try, Maybe LR44s. The battery compartment looks bloody spotless, but I'll make double sure anyway. I'm thinking I may have to get a donor camera and swap electronics or send it out to have it done though.

Checking the article Titrisol linked me to now. This is a pristine, babied ME super without a mark on it. It'd be a terrible shame if it didn't work in Auto because of this.

Thank you all for your continued help and suggestions!
04-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't trust the meter on my ME Super too much, at times it under exposes and others it is just fine(probably dirty connections). I always try to compare the meter reading to the sunny 16 rule just to make sure the camera got it right. It tends to be worse with very bright scenes.
04-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting conversation folks. My last roll that came out of my ME SUPER was all under exposed.. Likely though it was the lab as all my previous rolls where fine.

I have never used the EV compensation dial. Can someone explain how it works? In looking at it, it appears to only go + which is fine. It just seems odd that the middle is zero and the other numbers both up and down are +
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

EV Compensation works to compensate for light.
If youa re shooting with the light behind your subject you may want to add exposure (+1 or +2)

However if the opposite is needed (e.g. metering dark surfaces) you need to substract exposure -1 or -2 (1/2 or 1/4)

Those compensation are a lot easier if you t hink in Zone System values since +1 or +2 means zones or f-stops