Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

SLR film body recommended?

In the mean time waiting for k10d to be released, I would like to test limited lenses on film bodies instead.

Filmwise, I would want to use sensia 100 or velvia 100 to give it a go. Just to test out the quality of lens.

I heard a few excellent film SLR bodies but ebay does not have these top range ones. Not confident using a classic pentax either.

I wonder if there is any recommendations?

I want to avoid keh.com as it is not so convinient ordering from australia. And i can never figure out how to register or order stuff from there.

If you are based in australia and got a few great film SLR models, maybe recommend to sell it to me?

thanks heaps

10-29-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Find an MZ-5 on ebay... MZ-S is the best if you find one at a good price.. MZ-5 is probably the second best option, MUCH better than the old SFX I leant you...
10-29-2006, 04:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks, joele. Searching the models now...

which model would you prefer yourself if money is no issue? MZ-5 or S?

Being magnesium alloy body would yield lighter weight?
10-29-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If I had the money an MZ-S no second thought...

10-30-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

If you can find a ist film body consider it. Small, lite, and good control set (similar to ist D and the coming K10d).
10-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
If you can find a ist film body consider it. Small, lite, and good control set (similar to ist D and the coming K10d).
I agree with you about it being small, light and good control set but two things caused to me sold mine and kept the MZ-5 instead. 1. the mirror slap: because the camera is small and light, the mirror slap is actually quite noticeable. The camera felt better with the battery grip installed. 2. you can only use lenses with 'A' setting on the aperture ring, ie you can't use M or K lenses.

With MZ-S, I don't think you can use FA-J lenses, or lenses without aperture ring. Apart from that, it is a fantastic camera that I hope one day I will able to get one.

Currently I am using MZ-5 which is very similar to MZ-5n but without the depth of field preview and some other improvements. So get MZ-5n if you can. Or MZ-3 (more expensive) or MZ-5.

cheers
Kenny
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys.

I am bidding on ebay now. hehe.

So MZ-S does take Fa lense for sure right?

I imagine MZ-S to have faster AF speed???

Hopefully, I am going to use it if i managed to win the bid by this thursday.

ta
10-31-2006, 02:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi roentarre

If I remember correctly, you are from Taiwan right? If you are and if you can read Chinese, sign up here at Pentax Fans Club:
Pentax Fans Club - Powered by vBulletin

They have got a Buy/Sell/Trade section too and it is actually quite active too. Somone was just selling a MZ-3 or MZ-S the other day.

By the way, you will need to register first because you get read access to the Trade section and you will need to post more than 30 or 35 times before you can advertise, or something like that.

cheers
Kenny

10-31-2006, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah that website is great! Some great images there too. Quite keen to use up some imprexa and velvia slides with mz-s

This has been great help
11-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
I agree with you about it being small, light and good control set but two things caused to me sold mine and kept the MZ-5 instead. 1. the mirror slap: because the camera is small and light, the mirror slap is actually quite noticeable. The camera felt better with the battery grip installed. 2. you can only use lenses with 'A' setting on the aperture ring, ie you can't use M or K lenses.

With MZ-S, I don't think you can use FA-J lenses, or lenses without aperture ring. Apart from that, it is a fantastic camera that I hope one day I will able to get one.

Currently I am using MZ-5 which is very similar to MZ-5n but without the depth of field preview and some other improvements. So get MZ-5n if you can. Or MZ-3 (more expensive) or MZ-5.

cheers
Kenny
Hi, first post...
i know it's an old thread.....but just to point out...there is a custom function in the *ist film that allows you to use lenses w/o the "A" setting.

Great website btw
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
Hi, first post...
i know it's an old thread.....but just to point out...there is a custom function in the *ist film that allows you to use lenses w/o the "A" setting.

Great website btw
I know you can use pre-A lenses on *ist film body but I think only at wide-open aperture (or was that at smallest aperture?). Can you actually change the aperture on K or M lenses on *ist film body?

Kenny
11-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I know you can use pre-A lenses on *ist film body but I think only at wide-open aperture (or was that at smallest aperture?). Can you actually change the aperture on K or M lenses on *ist film body?

Kenny
Depending on the lens and mode. You are partially right. on AE Mode and Av, FA, F, M, A, S will have the Aperture wide open, but in Metered Manual Mode, you can set your aperture BUT the built in light meter will not operate
12-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #13

Older Pentax Film Cameras

I am using the ZX-5N and the ZX-L; they both seem to meet all of my needs; Someone on this forum answered my inquiry about using Pentax lens that do not have the aperature settings marked on the barrel of the lens. That does not now represent a problem to me, so check out the inquiries and replies on this forum to understand how to use those particular lens.

Both of my cameras are light yet have a very good 'feel'; I have a small tripod that I carry around so that long exposures are not problematic. I have yet to use all of the capabilitie of these lens and ultimately I will get a K10D. I've been working with photography for a long time (and I mean a LONG time. I've had, at one time or another, cameras from all of the major camera manufacturers...I was in the Air Force and travelling all over, so having these cameras wasn't all that expensive for me. I liked the Leica, Canon, Nikon Contact and Pentax models, probably the Contact most of all because of the Zeiss lens. But gradually I began to realize that the Pentax lens were very, very good as well compared to the Zeiss ones. I sold all of my lens but the Pentax ones, which were all screw mount at the time. Now I wish that I had those old lens back and I may yet get to retrieve them. The Pentax cameras have NEVER failed me, something I cannot say about the other ones. The Nikon gear has been the most disappointing. It is very good, but it sometimes will not work. Nikon always repairs it quickly, but still, it is too expensive to not work always...I still have one old Nikon film camera, the 8008s I think that it is. Don't use it much and it is like carrying around a brick.

Canon makes more cameras/lens than any other photograpic manufacturer. Their top line lens are very good. Their cameras employ very high technology. It is a shame that Contact no longer makes slr cameras. The Leica is very expensive and heavy. It bothers me that there are no slr cameras made in the USA and I hope that changes some day.

I was very glad to find this forum. Lets continue it and explore the world of Pentax photography. Does Pentax have a magazine? If so I haven't seen it. If they do and you know of it, please let me know about it.

Thanks,

FLASH
12-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #14

You can use the FA-J lenses on the MZ-S. However, you cannot use use the aperture priority mode. However, by using the shift function, it is fairly easy to set the aperture you want.

Kim

cheers
Kenny
01-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #15

What about Z-1p (PZ-1p), nobody mentioned it? This is the PENTAXs' flagship model until the MZ-S came around in year 2000. Z-1p is really great camera with lots of features and is a lot better than the MZ-5(n), exept that it's bigger, which is drawback for me!