04-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

04-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Missed the focus on this one. I use the Hyperfocal method of focusing 99% of the time and
sometimes I mess up.

Missed the focus here too, but it show the people as too red also.

Last edited by jgredline; 04-27-2009 at 10:41 PM.
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Crazy colors, but they are what they are...
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
All I'm saying is that I wish they were straight from the scans, without you or target editing them. Just venting frustrations (some of which I think is coming from the news and rumors section), move along now. Don't worry about it...
Ummm...I don't know if there is really any such thing as a "straight" scan...

Steve

04-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Why don't you move along now. Dude had you ''read'' the posts you would have known that I did no such editing. Target? Maybe. Why don't YOU go and do your own testing your highness....and move along now.....
Thanks for posting your own scans, I didn't see the halo effect on those. I don't think I've ever had film processed at Target and now I do not think I ever will. Don't get so defensive, I know all you did was crop and resize. Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of doing the halo on purpose, I didn't mean that.
04-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Javier,
Thanks for all the good work.

In regards to processing/scanning for the Ektar 100. I just got back my latest roll from Costco and am again very disappointed with their scans. The first couple of rolls I gave them came back looking great. The last two rolls have a yellowish color cast and significant highlight clipping. The colors in general as well as the contrast are just all wrong. I don't know if it is a problem with the tech, the chemistry, or with the calibration profiles. Might I also add that there also appears to be a huge amount of sharpening artifact.

It looks like I will have to start shopping around.

Steve
04-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve. I too have noticed the sharpening artifacts in some scans from Target, walgrens and CVS. You can request ''no pp from them'' I forgot to request this in my last scans...

04-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thanks Steve. I too have noticed the sharpening artifacts in some scans from Target, walgrens and CVS. You can request ''no pp from them'' I forgot to request this in my last scans...
I asked the guys at Costco about no PP and got a blank look. I suspect that their settings and work flow are optimized to dovetail into their printing process. So my plan of action is to hit Target first (closest to my office) followed by WalMart and Walgreens as a last resort.

Steve

(I might also try Fred Meyer...the local "buy everything here" mega store...)
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am finding that the ektar 100 makes for a great black and white film. Here is a scan at 150dpi straight to gray scale.
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep. even the man with the crazy red shirt looks better.
04-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oops
04-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #57

Suggest the use of some gray targets in shots.

"Missed the focus here too, but it show the people as too red also"

Getting colors to be accurate from scanned color negatives is very hard. (Another reason direct digital is so popular). When testing color negative film (and when using it in general) I highly recommend sneaking a small calibrated gray target in some of the shots, or even a color chart. Usually, this can be cloned out later if desired.

This way when you scan, you have a chance to get white balance and colors close to correct. Without this extra step, it is always just guess work which is not always correct.

Just a friendly suggestion.
04-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote

Getting colors to be accurate from scanned color negatives is very hard. (Another reason direct digital is so popular). When testing color negative film (and when using it in general) I highly recommend sneaking a small calibrated gray target in some of the shots, or even a color chart. Usually, this can be cloned out later if desired.

This way when you scan, you have a chance to get white balance and colors close to correct. Without this extra step, it is always just guess work which is not always correct.

And a good suggestion at that. A gray card is something i need to do and learn to do. I did shoot some of the same pictures with digital and those came out very well, with more natural colors.
04-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote

A great suggestion, or you can just tune them to your own personal taste. You are the author of those images, it doesn't really matter if they are strictly accurate or not (usually!).

I tell you what, that guy's red shirt still looks weird even in grayscale. You could try the Channel Mixer method of b&w conversion to cure that as laid out here B&W Better and elsewhere.
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #60

to jgredline, thanks for taking the time to do these tests. It seems to me that your ektar scans tend to have excessive contrast, compared to the scans posted by hwblank. Wondering if this is a issue with scanning software setting?