Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ektar 100 VS Gold 100

Hi folks.
Chris Platt was kind enough to send me 1 roll of Ektar 100 and 3 rolls of Kodak gold 100. I confess that I was touched by the kind gesture. The purpose was / is to try and get a comparison. I feel like the least likely person to attempt such a test, but will will try my best. In truth, I am a film newbie still, so I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Suggestions would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Should I run both types of film through the same camera and lens or should I load a roll of each into two different bodies.

My SLR's consist of 2 K1000's though one is out doing rounds in the U.S. and Canada, 2 ME Supers, 1 spotmatic 1964 model, 1 LX, and 1 Canon AE-1.

Suggestions are needed.
Thanks and Thanks Chris!

04-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The way I have been thinking of doing such a comparison... I'd load two cameras & for the comparison shots shoot one after the other, ideally moving the lens from one body to the other. Then as boredom sets in, I'd happily shoot whatever with whichever, until some new comparison opportunity came my way.
04-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've currently got a roll of Ektar loaded in the ZX-M and I'm interested to see how it compares to Reala 100 once I get it developed.

I'll be interested in seeing your results.

Heather
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Stick a roll in the LX, get a tripod, cable release, lock up the mirror and play with night shots and the IDM meter.

I know that's what I'd do with slow speed, super colourful film.

04-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

if you want to make the test more complete, try to get some 100UC before it's gone!
04-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The way I have been thinking of doing such a comparison... I'd load two cameras & for the comparison shots shoot one after the other, ideally moving the lens from one body to the other. Then as boredom sets in, I'd happily shoot whatever with whichever, until some new comparison opportunity came my way.
What he said!

Be sure to include subjects that will test the dynamic range, grain characteristics, and skin tones.

Steve
04-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Load up your Super MEs with a roll of each, take the same photo from both cameras with the same lens. Or if you have 2 of the same lenses that would be faster. I think that side-by-side comparison would be the only fair one. The drawback is 1 roll will be 'wasted' however, it is a test and knowledge gained is worth more than 1 roll of film.
04-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Actually, I can't think of a better candidate for this.
You are one of the forum's true "Film Heroes", Javier...

Chris

04-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would just go out and shoot with two cameras and not sweat the lens stuff. If you were doing a real test, you would be doing it with a boring test pattern on a wall.

Just have some fun with it.

Of course, I myself am incapable of just having fun with it, because I'm a neurotic nut. But my guess is that you're not.

And I love Chris's avatar except that it's missing the flash cube.
04-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

get someone to take pictures with you and take the pictures of the same things at the same exposure. it won't turn out exactly the same, but it'll be more fun and less tedious. the results should be close enough.
04-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks folks. I think I will load two cameras and have my Son Daniel shoot a roll and I will shoot the other. Perhaps we will trade cameras after half the images are gone. The majority will be street shooting, but will get a few landscape beach shots in there as well. Hopefully I will be able to do this today.
I will use my My me supers with the M50F/1.4 lenses since I have two set ups like that. Well, we will see.

This will be fun.
04-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I've currently got a roll of Ektar loaded in the ZX-M and I'm interested to see how it compares to Reala 100 once I get it developed.
Heather, your impressions in this regard will be of great interest to me since Reala has been my favorite film for some time now. Always looking to do one better...

woof
04-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just dropped the Ektar 100 off at Walgreens (it helps that it's just a block from my house) for developing and scanning. I'll get the results back tomorrow afternoon so I'll be posting soon afterwards.

Heather
04-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
get someone to take pictures with you and take the pictures of the same things at the same exposure. it won't turn out exactly the same, but it'll be more fun and less tedious. the results should be close enough.
Actually I have two (2) Spotmatic SPs with f/1.8 55mm lenses. I can easily calibrate the meters to be exactly the same.

Any opinions as to what would comprise a generalized nice set of "test" shots so that I could actually plan and execute a proper comparison?

Seaain
04-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

i suggest that you take a scene w/ some contrast (like a sunny scene w/ a shadow) and then trying different exposures to see how well each film can hold highlights and shadows

and some brickwalls never really hurt