Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #1711
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Cloths for the Rough Spottie

K10D, Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4 (M42)

This camera came to me as part of a lens purchase and was described as being in excellent working condition. In truth, it was cosmetically pretty rough and needing some attention mechanically. It still needs some lube and adjustment, but at least now it is clean. New seals and covering installed today along with a thorough cleaning of all accessible surfaces.

The new leather is Deep Red Lizard Emboss from Aki-Asahi.com. The material is embossed cowhide and has a superb feel...just enough pad and excellent grip without being soft. Installation was pretty easy and I am happy with the results. I deviated somewhat from the instructions by removing the self-timer lever rather than slitting the leather to go around it. I also opted for gel-type hand sanitizer rather than alcohol to make positioning a little easier. The fit is great and I am a happy customer.

Steve

(...now to find a replacement battery cover and do something about the squeaky film transport!)

05-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #1712

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

(...now to find a replacement battery cover and do something about the squeaky film transport!)

That's one sharp looking Spottie!
05-05-2012, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #1713

I found this K2 at a local market for $70, with the bottom half of the ready-case, and a crystal clear M50mm 1.7. Very very clean body, with just a few light bright marks here and there.

The mirror was up, and the advance lever firmly stuck, but with the assurance that it had been working (!), and if it couldn't be made to operate I could bring it back the next week, I took a chance... Well, with a new battery, the BC lit up, but that was it! Nothing.

I took it to a local repairer of some repute, who gave it a quick look over and said it was repairable. The very next day I got a message to pick it up, but when I arrived it was wrapped up with a label - "Failed shutter unit, parts not available". They actually suggested I buy a working K2, and they would swap the shutters over (!?). $45 "Inspection fee" to boot...

It sat on the shelf for a little while longer, until I emailed Eric, who said he could repair it. This was maybe 6 months ago. Being lazy, it didn't get sent off, but I picked it up two days ago to 'have a look'.

For the first time I noticed that the shutter didn't appear to look 'normal', that is, neither fully cocked or closed, but part way between the two. Now, I know that delicate shutter curtains don't like to be prodded by fat fingers, but assuming it to be broken, I VERY gently teased the top curtain upwards with my fingernail, though I'm not sure what I was hoping to achieve... After about a centimetre it got caught up on part of the lower curtain, and again I gently eased it up. Maybe I also exerted some unintentional push or pull at this point, but with a satisfying clunk the whole shutter suddenly dropped down, and the mirror fell into place. The advance lever was now free as well, and with batteries quickly put in, the K2 meters and fires like a dream! Maybe the seller was right after all! I won't mention the name of the particular Camera Clinic I went to, but I would hesitate to go back there again...

I will still send it off to Eric for a good CLA, and new seals etc - the mirror takes a moment to drop fully into place at times, but at least it is now functional. Couldn't be happier, I kept looking at this one and wishing it worked. I now have a nice 'set', KM, KX, K1000, and K2.
Attached Images

05-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #1714
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brad&Gayna Quote
For the first time I noticed that the shutter didn't appear to look 'normal', that is, neither fully cocked or closed, but part way between the two.
My SV suffered from much the same symptoms before it went back to Eric. All is well now!

Steve

05-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #1715
Veteran Member

Lovely new skin!
05-06-2012, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #1716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brad&Gayna Quote
I found this K2 at a local market for $70
. . . .
I will still send it off to Eric for a good CLA, and new seals etc.
It sounds like this K2 has found a good home

I have a pair of K2s which have received Eric 's TLC. Now, both are 'good lookers' and great shooters.
Normally one of the K2s is in my camera backpack.

[ K2 fan here ]

Last edited by Moe49; 05-11-2012 at 05:52 AM.
05-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #1717
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Lovely new skin!
Thanks! I really like the material. I was tempted to do the same pattern in bright blue (LINK) similar to one of yours, but decided that the deep red was cool enough.

Steve

05-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #1718
Veteran Member

Very nice looking restoration, Steve. I love the selection of materials at Aki-Asahi. They made a great green skin for my Spottie as well, and I sure wish they supported more models.
05-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #1719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K10D, Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4 (M42)

This camera came to me as part of a lens purchase and was described as being in excellent working condition. In truth, it was cosmetically pretty rough and needing some attention mechanically. It still needs some lube and adjustment, but at least now it is clean. New seals and covering installed today along with a thorough cleaning of all accessible surfaces.

The new leather is Deep Red Lizard Emboss from Aki-Asahi.com. The material is embossed cowhide and has a superb feel...just enough pad and excellent grip without being soft. Installation was pretty easy and I am happy with the results. I deviated somewhat from the instructions by removing the self-timer lever rather than slitting the leather to go around it. I also opted for gel-type hand sanitizer rather than alcohol to make positioning a little easier. The fit is great and I am a happy customer.

Steve

You do good work!
05-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #1720

My K-1000 with Mir-1V 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 37A 135mm F3.5, Jupiter 21m 200mm F4.0.
I got it few years ago brand new.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C5-00.2  Photo 
05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #1721
Veteran Member

pentax super program
05-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #1722
Banned

all the way to the summit.

Pentax Spotmatic, Zeiss Planar.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #1723
Veteran Member

Great shot seamuis!

Fearview....wthit?
05-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #1724
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Great shot seamuis!

Fearview....wthit?

hai steve..its a doll... i have friend of mine .. who brings everywhere that kinda doll to get it photographed .. yesterday we have some local photo shoot and that was the first frame i wind up. dont have a subject and i spotted mine new to me SP near the dool.

Blythe official website | blythedoll.com

05-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #1725
Veteran Member

lol....it certainly got my attention.