Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #1756
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The wallet-burn comes later when you have to have the seals replaced or a CLA done...

Seals are cheap as a DIY project using Jon Goodman's kits ($10 USD including shipping). CLA? There is not much to adjust on an ME Super...almost everything is electronic. If it works, it works. If not, buy another one.

Steve

05-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #1757
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Seals are cheap as a DIY project using Jon Goodman's kits ($10 USD including shipping). CLA? There is not much to adjust on an ME Super...almost everything is electronic. If it works, it works. If not, buy another one.
Which is precisely why I chose the ME Super. Cheap, fairly plentiful, spare parts not hard to find, electronically-controlled mechanisms don't go out of tune for a long time. Handles well and is decently sturdy too. It's like the AK47 of Pentax film bodies. Even if it breaks, I know something probably can be done about it.
05-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #1758
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
Not a Pentax, but it's film. I have been looking for an auto exposure film slr for a while, and can't afford/justify getting a vintage Pentax (ME). Went into Goodwill today and found this for $6. Was afraid it wasn't going to work but after cleaning up the corrosion in the battery compartment, it came to life. It will add nicely to my SP500 and Ricoh Kr-5.
Did the crossed X 50mm come with it too? If so that was a steal!
I don't have the 5000 but have several copies of the 7000 just because it is such a historically significant camera. It single handedly changed the world of photography for ever as the first fully functional and mass produced AF SLR with a full set of lenses. Every time I see a clean one I just seem to grab it. The most common flaw is a bleeding LCD.

Oh well, we better not dwell on Minolta too long or we're likely to get booted from the hallowed Pentax ground.

Congratulations and enjoy!
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #1759
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Pentax ME + M 50mm f/1.4 + A 35-105mm f/3.5

I'm fixing this ME to carry as a walkaround film kit. The meter is spot on (compared to the digital), just need to fix the foams. I love the compact form factor, the huge viewfinder and the barebones operation: just set aperture on the lens and compensate exposure when needed.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 05-20-2012 at 05:53 PM.
05-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy the ME! I bought one when the model was new, also for its compact size, and as something to carry when I left my Leica safe at home. The ME gave great results, until I sold it for an LX (which I still have). I think my results with the ME were just as good as with the LX, but many times I prefer manual control by just clicking the aperture ring.
05-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #1761
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Pentax ME + M 50mm f/1.4 + A 35-105mm f/3.5
Lovely. I use that 35-105 on my ME Super too, it's a bit unbalanced given the weight, but the pictures are so nice.
05-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #1762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weber Quote
Lovely. I use that 35-105 on my ME Super too, it's a bit unbalanced given the weight, but the pictures are so nice.
"Unbalanced"...Ha ha ha.....If ya reckon that is unbalanced, and I do know what you mean, try putting on the "A"28-135, a TRULY heavy piece of glass. Had one on my LX, almost permenantly, a very impressive lens, but yet, I reckon I'm the only one on the forum that ever mentions this particular item?
Cheers, Pickles.

05-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #1763
Forum Member

Does the Pentax LX give any indication when you are in focus - like an audible beep or a green dot in the viewfinder? I'm considering the camera, but need the focus assist.

Rich M
05-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #1764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uswrdm02 Quote
Does the Pentax LX give any indication when you are in focus - like an audible beep or a green dot in the viewfinder? I'm considering the camera, but need the focus assist.

Rich M
The LX uses one of 12 user-interchangeable focusing screens that visually show focus though one of 8 user-interchangeble viewfinders. There is no addional focus indicator, whether illuminated visual or audio.

Though very high-tech for its time (and still astonishingly capable for a 135 film camera), the LX is an old-school mechanical camera.
05-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #1765
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you like metal cameras, the MEF offers focus assist (green LED, optional beep and left/right focussing information) and actually works quite well on well lit, constrasty subjects (although very sensitive). It also has the split-image focus screen.
05-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #1766
Banned

Rich M
the earliest camera to utilize this is the MEF, which is as close to a 'manual focus' camera as you will get with this feature. otherwise you'll have to purchase any of the AF bodies to have the focus indicator. otherwise known in pentax land as the 'green hexagon'.
05-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #1767
Forum Member

Thanks,

What is the MEF - I've never heard of that...

Rich
05-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #1768
Banned

Thanks,

What is the MEF - I've never heard of that...

Rich
Pentax's first AF camera. but it only AF's with the dedicated AF 35-70 lens. otherwise its basically just like an ME super, but with focus confirmation in the viewfinder.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-me-f.html
05-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #1769
Pentaxian

It is one of these... although in this case I have fitted a ME II winder and a (broken ) AF35-70mm lens to it.

K.
05-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #1770
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Here is my one (with working AF 35-70) compared with black ME siting on the winder. Autofocus in this lens is terribly slow these days, but its nice to see (and hear) how it works: vrvrvrvrvrvr vrvrvr vr vr. VR! vrvrvr vrvrvrvrvrvrvr vrvrvr vr vr vr vr vrvrvr vr. VR! Beep!