Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #1801
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
You're gonna have to figure for me! Why do you prefer the rangefinders?
I am not sure why, but my style with the rangefinder cams is significantly different than with the slrs. I think it has to do with the nature of the viewfinder and the balance point of the camera.

Steve

05-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #1802
Veteran Member

Dropped of my spottie for a re-covering and seal change today... chose a really nice 'cream' coloured leather... Best part is that as I've put a fair bit of business his way of late, he's doing the spottie for free!

Unfortunately I'm away next week so it'll be a fortnight till I can pick it up...
05-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #1803
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Dropped of my spottie for a re-covering and seal change today... chose a really nice 'cream' coloured leather... Best part is that as I've put a fair bit of business his way of late, he's doing the spottie for free!

Unfortunately I'm away next week so it'll be a fortnight till I can pick it up...
I'm quite interested in seeing that when its done. I plan on giving my other (very early example) chrome spotmatic to my girlfriend for her birthday. I have recently done a lot of work to my own (black) spotmatic, including a new very rich black leather and it looks incredible, but a light color would suit her very well and give the camera a different personality I think. I've seen a spotmatic with white leather and it just looked bad to me, but I still think a lighter color might look nice, so please do share photos when its done. id love to see that.
06-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #1804
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I finally got around to shooting a roll through my A3000 I picked up last summer. I went 'cheap' for processing and took it to Walmart (and was amazed to realize that in-store film developing is dead). They shipped it out, scanned it (badly) and I figured I'd share the results.

I kind of like the 'vintage' effect the camera/lens combo gave it (I used a Pentax-M 50mm 2.0).

EDIT: It was the camera/lens combo shown in the bottom right of this group shot of the bodies I'd accumulated up to that point.

I'm sure if I'd gone to a place that gave a damn about developing and scanning the results would have been far better, but this was mostly just a test to see if the camera even worked to begin with so most of the shots were 'throw aways'.

This was probably the biggest 'keeper' of the lot. Somehow I managed to shoot a double exposure, and somehow the effect actually worked for me.

As an aside, since I honestly don't know what to look for, one of my fears was that the camera was allowing light through since the seals are gummy as hell. Is there any sign that light was getting in? Would that account for the green hue everything has, or can I chalk that up to crappy Walmart developing?

06-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1805
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Jody, I don't see any light leaks - they usually look like a streak running from the edge of the photo as shown below. Actually, I've seen a lot worse developing - sometimes with scratches, dirt & dust spots all over the place. Was that an expired roll you were shooting?

Pentax ME + M50/2
06-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #1806
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Hey Jody, I don't see any light leaks - they usually look like a streak running from the edge of the photo as shown below. Actually, I've seen a lot worse developing - sometimes with scratches, dirt & dust spots all over the place. Was that an expired roll you were shooting?

Pentax ME + M50/2
No, I bought it new, but I did let it sit around in the camera for about 4 months then sit around for another 4 ot 5 before sending it off. For all I know it could of been expired on the shelf at Walmart as well.

I think the range of shots was from Septemberish to Januaryish, then it sat on top of the TV until a few weeks ago.

EDIT: It was a roll of Kodak 400... something, picked up at the local drug store. The cheap stuff.

EDUIT II: The bad scanning isn't so evident in these shots, but there are huge water stains on the shots (every shot, exact same location) throughout the scans. They aren't on the actual prints. You can see them in the shot below a lot more easily. Top right, top center, bottom center.

Last edited by Sagitta; 06-02-2012 at 09:27 PM.
06-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #1807
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the X's disagree about lens custody: who gets the 50/1.4?
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #1808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
You're gonna have to figure for me! Why do you prefer the rangefinders?
I will say I find something similar as Steve, there's a different style of seeing with a rangefinder.

After the instant return mirror and TTL metering there really is little stopping the SLR - as a general purpose, all purpose camera. You really can apply it in more situations, and with ease, than you can with other types (well, looks like the EVIL will evolve into an even more versatile platform)...

But here, just off the top of my head, are some rangefinder advantages:

- when using filters viewing is unaffected; ditto for when using slower lenses. Slow aperture blades are no problem. The shutter usually is quieter than on an SLR. With the modern viewfinders, you have good vision as to what is in the frame, and also what is just outside the frame. This in part lets you see differently. With the old time rangefinders, you get to put on cool turrets and play with heavy brass n glass. That by itself is a reason to prefer a rangefinder (though not as the sole camera!! Though, if I had to, I could happily live with my Kiev, and my photography would improve)...

But a good early Pentax gives me the tactile brass / glass / leather thing, and does so much more than a Kiev or a Konica (say) RF.

06-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #1809
Pentaxian

My lady love bought me a FED2 for Christmas the year before last simply because I wondered what using a rangefinder was like. I found that I rather enjoyed using it, and it was just different to a SLR. Just as I use digital for work and film for fun, I use SLRs for some things and my rangefinder for others. Often, if I just want to carry a single camera and lens, I'll take the FED even though I know I could take, for example, my MX and M40. Some things just defeat me though. How do you use a polarising filter on a rangefinder, for example?

Luckily, as photography is my hobby I don't have to justify anything beyond that I enjoy it.

K.
06-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #1810
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
[

Unfortunately the X's disagree about lens custody: who gets the 50/1.4?
Nice KX and MX. I'm going to cheat on all my K glass and say that the MX wins out
06-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #1811
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Nice KX and MX. I'm going to cheat on all my K glass and say that the MX wins out
LOL, well, luckily the two received counseling and decided to get along

06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #1812
Veteran Member

Re-covered Spottie

Joining the Orange covered black MEsuper, the Purple MG and the Brown MX.... Honeywell Spotmatic in Cream
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
06-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #1813
Site Supporter

Nicely done..
06-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #1814
Forum Member

I dusted off my SF7 and ran a roll of Ilford B&W 400 through it....really happy with it.

06-16-2012, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #1815
Veteran Member