Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #2116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
......K2 is my least favorite film body. This KX will fit in great with my K1000, K1000 SE, KM, and K2 DMD, (I sold the standard K2 because of my dislike for it).
I almost bought a K2. What don't you like about it?

12-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #2117
Veteran Member

My latest family member .
Love the camera and it seems to be in top shape. Didn't had a chance to put a film in it yet.

12-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #2118
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I almost bought a K2. What don't you like about it?
Many people really like the K2, and you might too. Your experience and personal opinions might be different, but I'll share mine so you know why. The way a camera feels and works in my hands is the biggest reason I like or dislike a camera, but it's also the most difficult reason to explain so I'll come back to this below.

My first SLR was a K1000 20 years ago (still have it and use it) and I love the center needle metering. The K2 was my first camera with match needle metering and I wasn't a huge fan. I got used to it though due the the K2 DMD and LX using a match needle system as well. I knew the KX had the same meter but didn't own one until now. The ISO and exposure compensation settings are in an odd place. The K2 is the top-of-the-line model above the KX and KM, but doesn't have an aperture window for the viewfinder like its little brother, the KX, and like the K2 DMD, LX and MX does. The K2 DMD has exposure memory and the K2 doesn't.

The K1000 is simple natural to use. Every time I pick one up I don't have to think about camera settings. It just comes natural to me. Using the K2 didn't feel natural to me, and it took a long time fidgeting with settings before arriving at a correct exposure. It seemed like I had to work at it to get a decent picture, which took a lot of the joy out of photography. Using the MX or the K2 DMD, even the K1000 or the ME Super, doesn't take a lot of work for me. I can focus on composing the picture and the settings come naturally. I didn't like using the PZ-1p either, even with the most incredible specs on paper, for the same reasons as the K2. I spent too much time adjusting settings and photography didn't come natural when using these tools.

I hope my explanation makes sense. I enjoy trying different cameras and I'm looking forward to seeing what my experience with the KX will bring. So far it feels all right in my hands but I need to run a roll of film or two through it to see if I really like it as much as others have recommended it here.
12-23-2012, 12:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many people really like the K2, and you might too. Your experience and personal opinions might be different, but I'll share mine so you know why. The way a camera feels and works in my hands is the biggest reason I like or dislike a camera, but it's also the most difficult reason to explain so I'll come back to this below.

My first SLR was a K1000 20 years ago (still have it and use it) and I love the center needle metering. The K2 was my first camera with match needle metering and I wasn't a huge fan. I got used to it though due the the K2 DMD and LX using a match needle system as well. I knew the KX had the same meter but didn't own one until now. The ISO and exposure compensation settings are in an odd place. The K2 is the top-of-the-line model above the KX and KM, but doesn't have an aperture window for the viewfinder like its little brother, the KX, and like the K2 DMD, LX and MX does. The K2 DMD has exposure memory and the K2 doesn't.

The K1000 is simple natural to use. Every time I pick one up I don't have to think about camera settings. It just comes natural to me. Using the K2 didn't feel natural to me, and it took a long time fidgeting with settings before arriving at a correct exposure. It seemed like I had to work at it to get a decent picture, which took a lot of the joy out of photography. Using the MX or the K2 DMD, even the K1000 or the ME Super, doesn't take a lot of work for me. I can focus on composing the picture and the settings come naturally. I didn't like using the PZ-1p either, even with the most incredible specs on paper, for the same reasons as the K2. I spent too much time adjusting settings and photography didn't come natural when using these tools.

I hope my explanation makes sense. I enjoy trying different cameras and I'm looking forward to seeing what my experience with the KX will bring. So far it feels all right in my hands but I need to run a roll of film or two through it to see if I really like it as much as others have recommended it here.
Fair enough. I fully understand how you find many features make more work than they save. I too am of the minimalist camp. After all, there are only three things to do on a camera. Focus the lens, pick an aperture and set an appropriate speed. I have been looking at pictures I took half a century ago with a most basic view-finder camera, and I don't seem to have done any better with the latest camera gear. I just found this which I have already cross-posted so pardon my doing it again.

12-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #2120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all the K Series bodies as well and my favorites are the KX and K2DMD. The KX is still probably number one for me as it has all the features you need without being too complicated like the K2DMD or sparse like the KM or K1000.

Phil.
12-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #2121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have all the K Series bodies as well and my favorites are the KX and K2DMD. The KX is still probably number one for me as it has all the features you need without being too complicated like the K2DMD or sparse like the KM or K1000.

Phil.
Very well said. At times I like simplicity when taking photographs, other times I like using the features. We are lucky to have so many options.
12-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #2122
Forum Member

I posted this a while back, but now i've got some more gear for it

Attached Images

12-25-2012, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got this beauty,in near mint condition,a couple weeks ago.My new favorite,at least for now.

Last edited by 17dew; 06-24-2013 at 07:09 AM.
12-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #2124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Got this beauty,in near mint condition,a couple weeks ago.My new favorite,at least for now.
I also have one in near mint condition, but it has crossed the threshold into the world of the battery dependent. No battery and it is completely dead. The ME Super, which I also have still has one foot in the manual world, but for me the greatest joy comes from both feet firmly planted in a world of steel, brass and chrome, powered by the smooth operation of a silver lever..
12-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #2125
Veteran Member

And another family member just joined.
One little funky camera . Already loaded with film ...

12-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #2126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I also have one in near mint condition, but it has crossed the threshold into the world of the battery dependent. No battery and it is completely dead. The ME Super, which I also have still has one foot in the manual world, but for me the greatest joy comes from both feet firmly planted in a world of steel, brass and chrome, powered by the smooth operation of a silver lever..

Agreed on the battery issue.I've used an MX since about 1980.Nothing like the simplicity of it.I've rekindled my love for these "old" film cameras,still prefer the MX,but this one does feel good in my hands.
12-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #2127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This completes my K-body collection. As a long-time Pentax shooter I've never even used the the KX.
That's a real beaut - I could be happy with ONLY my black KX, K35/3.5, K50/1.4 and K105/2.8.

IIRC, at one time in the distant past I'm sure I dreamt about one small bag and that kit.
12-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #2128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I could be happy with ONLY my black KX, K35/3.5, K50/1.4 and K105/2.8.
+1 That kit would work for me as well!

Phil.
12-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #2129

MZ-3 or ZX-3 in North America......two of them.
12-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #2130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my latest, and loaded with film. An H2 from 1959. Top speed 1/500, no light meter either. The lens is an auto Tacumar 55mm F2. Notice the lever on top the lens that is used to open the lens when focusing. I was shooting at f16 today, and you need to open the lens. It stays open until you push the button half way. It then (auto) closes; the button trips the shutter deeper into the push. The lens then remains stopped down until you open it for the next shot. They never exceeded the quality of these early pre Spotmatics. I love them, this is my fifth of this type. the others are the SV and S1A which came later with things such as self timer and 1/1000 top speed and Super Tacumar 1.8 lenses.