QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I can't wait to dissect something!
A Canon?

01-14-2013, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #2147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
History in Black

I always thought chrome cameras looked best, as I got interested in cameras in the 1950s when all the good cameras I saw were chrome. So I bought chrome cameras, until I wanted an LX, which wasn't made in chrome. I've since decided black can be nice too, so I revisited older models in my recent collecting:
Name:  Black.jpg
Views: 2377
Size:  152.2 KB
From L to R: H3v, SPII, 6x7,LX, MX
01-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #2148
Veteran Member

That's a nice collection
01-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #2149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This poor thing has been sitting unused for years. I just broke it out this weekend and shot 2 rolls through it. Was a lot of fun. I bought the ZX-M new and plan to start shooting mostly B&W for a while.

UPDATE: The ZX-M has about 6 rolls of B&W through it and it's great fun. I've since had my ME Super repaired/overhauled and it's in service (pushing the ZX-M out of the picture a bit). I've set up a bag just for the ME Super and bought a couple of manual lenses to complete the set-up. Have a like new Pentax M 28mm f/2.8, a nice copy of the Pentax M 135mm f/3.5 and the M 50mm f/1.7 that came with the camera when I bought it new. It's a sweet film kit for sure.

My K-x is still the primary camera but the film is more fun.

Attached Images

Last edited by OrangeKx; 08-30-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added text and picture.
01-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #2150
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I always thought chrome cameras looked best, as I got interested in cameras in the 1950s when all the good cameras I saw were chrome. So I bought chrome cameras, until I wanted an LX, which wasn't made in chrome. I've since decided black can be nice too, so I revisited older models in my recent collecting:
Attachment 155434

Ah, the original 6x7, ....that brings back memories. Kind of what really makes me a long-time Pentaxian, those. For 35mm I was all about old Canon and for an interval as a kid, Miranda. (Actually, if you're a fan of collecting cameras for finishes, try picking up a Miranda Sensorex. Beautiful finish and a certain amount of playing-with-it appeal. They're pretty cheap if you can find one: the weak link is kind of the dim viewfinders, but much gadgeteyness to collect. They were kind of made, apparently, for the gentleman photo-gadget fan (My uncle who gave me a whole kit of it as a kid probably fit just that description) and it shows a bit. Kind of have what looks like the grill off a Lincoln Continental on the prism housing.
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #2151
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What a lineup!
01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #2152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(Actually, if you're a fan of collecting cameras for finishes, try picking up a Miranda Sensorex. Beautiful finish and a certain amount of playing-with-it appeal. They're pretty cheap if you can find one: the weak link is kind of the dim viewfinders, but much gadgeteyness to collect. They were kind of made, apparently, for the gentleman photo-gadget fan (My uncle who gave me a whole kit of it as a kid probably fit just that description) and it shows a bit. Kind of have what looks like the grill off a Lincoln Continental on the prism housing.
I actually have a nice Sensorex. Trivia: I understand Asahi traded their instant-return mirror ideas with Orion (makers of Miranda) for the Pentaprism work they had done, which resulted in the 1957 Pentax.

01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #2153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment 155434
Yes very desireable.
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #2154
Pentaxian

I actually have a nice Sensorex. Trivia: I understand Asahi traded their instant-return mirror ideas with Orion (makers of Miranda) for the Pentaprism work they had done, which resulted in the 1957 Pentax.
It's my understanding that the name came from Contax who elected to use Pentacon - from Pentaprism Contax, and sold the name Pentax to Asahi. I also understand the influence of the initial designs came from Germany rather then the Japanese Miranda/Orion.
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #2155
Veteran Member

Attachment 155434
Really nice set Tom!
01-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #2156
Veteran Member

i'm jealous
01-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #2157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It's my understanding that the name came from Contax who elected to use Pentacon - from Pentaprism Contax, and sold the name Pentax to Asahi. I also understand the influence of the initial designs came from Germany rather then the Japanese Miranda/Orion.
It's true the name came from Contax, and there were pentaprisms used by others before (Look at the Exakta in the 1954 movie "Rear Window"),but the history I read said that Orion engineers had developed a prototype with prism and then saw the Asahiflex instant-return mirror, and so collaborated to help Asahi add the prism in exchange for instant-return help.
01-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2158

dressed in red...
loaded with tri-x
01-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #2159
Veteran Member

Nice!
01-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #2160
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
dressed in red...
loaded with tri-x
Very nice...out of curiosity, where did you get the strap? I got one like this for my daughter's Minolta some years ago and have never seen one like it since.

Steve