Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #2311
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wonder why the Pentax LX manual covers and, brochures and ads of the time show the LX with an f1.4 lens instead of the f1.2? The August 1981 Pop Photo review shows it with the f1.2 along with a review of the f1.2 also.

02-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #2312
Pentaxian

Here is the gear I was out shooting with yesterday morning.

02-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #2313

I picked up a 135mm f/3.5, a 50mm f/2, and a AF160 flash...oh, and they came with a K1000SE, too

Now I have 3 bodies, lol, but I've only shot one roll so far

The split image finder on the SE is gonna take getting used to. Hopefully get to try it out some more today
02-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #2314
Forum Member

Here is and odd one i own.... Ricoh HI-Color 35 With Ricoh Marine Capsule. toss in the Ricoh Marine close up filter and corrector filter and we have a set up I used this last summer in the Florida Keys. I am missing the "sport" finder but i do have the flash somewhere around here.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #2315
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apathey2131978 Quote
Here is and odd one i own.... Ricoh HI-Color 35 With Ricoh Marine Capsule. toss in the Ricoh Marine close up filter and corrector filter and we have a set up I used this last summer in the Florida Keys. I am missing the "sport" finder but i do have the flash somewhere around here.
I remember those enclosures! So the seals are still good after all these years? I hope so. The Hi-Color 35 is too nice a little camera to sacrifice to the gods of salt and moisture.

Steve
02-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #2316
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I remember those enclosures! So the seals are still good after all these years? I hope so. The Hi-Color 35 is too nice a little camera to sacrifice to the gods of salt and moisture.

Steve
I am shocked to say yes they are still good. Honestly I do not know how. The last owner must have actually took care of them. I did not take it deeper than maybe 10 feet but it was dry after 2 hours of off again on again water duty. The camera is a gem, a little funky with the winding but once you get the hang of it (by getting out of its way) I have not a complaint. Another interesting thing on the camera is the shape of the shutter blades.
02-25-2013, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #2317
Pentaxian

Now I'm in trouble
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #2318
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Now I'm in trouble
Yes...serious trouble. I have a FED-2 and it is one of my favorite cams.

Be sure to remember to always wind-on before changing shutter speeds. Most focal plane shutters with a rotating dial require this. BTW...the Industar 61 L/D is sort of a cult classic due to its exotic Lanthanum glass.

Steve

02-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #2319
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes...serious trouble. I have a FED-2 and it is one of my favorite cams....
I'm very fond of my FED2 too. I got it to try out a rangefinder because at that time I had only ever used SLRs. I've been very fond of it ever since (except when I forget to take the lens cap off ).

K.
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #2320
Pentaxian

Yes...serious trouble. I have a FED-2 and it is one of my favorite cams.

Be sure to remember to always wind-on before changing shutter speeds. Most focal plane shutters with a rotating dial require this. BTW...the Industar 61 L/D is sort of a cult classic due to its exotic Lanthanum glass.

Steve
Thanks for the tips Steve.
I did a fair bit of research before and after ordering the camera, so I was thankfully aware of the shutter dial/winding issue. Also, I decided on the FED 3L because it came with the Industar 61 L/D.
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #2321
Veteran Member

I used to think I had it bad. I had a hard time choosing between so many Pentax lenses for my DSLR. So many options; some good lenses that are horribly undervalued, and some great options that are priced accordingly. Then I got curious and ran a roll of film through my "free" Spotmatic that had come with one of those lenses. Now, I'm hooked--and I haven't even begun exploring the different films or mechanisms to run film through. This could become problematic because I live in a small apartment.

Here are my current options:

The Spotmatic is going to get new seals, as will the Super Program. I'm surprised at how well the Super Program handles DA lenses, especially compared to the SF1. Overall, though, I'm mostly enjoying the slower approach to photography that film encourages, and I'm learning tons about how to work with color in the digital domain. I'm quite amazed that, despite my K-5's undoubted superiority when it comes to resolution in low contrast images, I'm preferring this contrarian approach to making pictures. Not just because I like contrariness, which I do, but because the images somehow seem more representative if less accurate.

...I watched a movie last night and thought to myself, "this was shot on film." I don't know how I recognized that. I wonder, though, if this is why I like the look of my film images, and why Instagram is so popular: most people alive today grew up associating 2D imagery with film, which makes it look right, whereas the more accurate digital images just look "off" somehow.

Regardless, I'm apprehensive of the possibility that, should I develop a good workflow from negative to print, I will simply need to also have at my disposal cameras that shoot larger negatives. While I am staggered by the technology of digital cameras, and have the utmost respect for the value of large-sensor cameras, I simply don't see myself buying another current-generation digital camera. Film seems to be adequate at its weakest, sublime at its best, and thoroughly enjoyable at all points (if we're willing to overlook dusty, scratched negatives). I assume others can relate to this line of thinking. I'm new to it; where has it taken you?
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #2322
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
...I watched a movie last night and thought to myself, "this was shot on film."
My wife and I were watching "Captain Blood" with Erroll Flynn and in one scene I blurted out, "My God, look at the light!!" Film makes one do things differently.
02-26-2013, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #2323
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apathey2131978 Quote
Here is and odd one i own.... Ricoh HI-Color 35 With Ricoh Marine Capsule.
Thanks for the reminder of underwater housings. I made one about 1962 from 1/4" plexiglass and a couple of o-ring sealed glands sold in the SCUBA magazines at the time. But rather than risk my only 35mm camera I used a Kodak box camera - Brownie Hawkeye or similar. It worked quite well until I forgot to leave it in the shallows as we went down a steep bank in Torch Lake (Michigan). It imploded at about 180 ft. Later when we went to the Keys before our Sr highschool year a friend took his "US Divers" Calypso - which later became the Nikon Nikonos. I gave up diving when I moved to Texas and saw the water...
02-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #2324

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Overall, though, I'm mostly enjoying the slower approach to photography that film encourages, and I'm learning tons about how to work with color in the digital domain. I'm quite amazed that, despite my K-5's undoubted superiority when it comes to resolution in low contrast images, I'm preferring this contrarian approach to making pictures. Not just because I like contrariness, which I do, but because the images somehow seem more representative if less accurate.

...I watched a movie last night and thought to myself, "this was shot on film." I don't know how I recognized that. I wonder, though, if this is why I like the look of my film images, and why Instagram is so popular: most people alive today grew up associating 2D imagery with film, which makes it look right, whereas the more accurate digital images just look "off" somehow.
I live in Los Angeles, and can attest that the majority of big-studio movies are still shot on film, then scanned at 4k and postprocessed digitally. The films that are shot all-digital (often movies with a ton of digital effects) are meticulously postprocessed to look like film.

So I definitely agree. I like the results that digital can produce for those who are very good at post processing. I'm not, so I just stick to film.

My wedding photographer shot Leica M9s for a few years until he realized that he was spending so much time postprocessing just to get images to mimic film. He sold them, bought a couple of MPs, and gets all of his negatives processed at Richard Photo Lab here in LA. He says he spends the rest of his time getting coffee with his clients.
02-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #2325

Oh yeah - my camera and my wife's. I've been meaning to introduce these two for a while.

We call them Boy Camera (ME Super) and Girl Camera (the wife's MX) because they look us like a his/hers set--sort of like a mug or towel set that you get as a cheesy wedding gift.

I threw in a polaroid of us dancing at our wedding for good measure.