Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #2671

Photos: Gallery
I have two MXs, a K1000 and a Spotmatic. I collect cameras, and I don't have a lot of b&w shots with the Pentaxes to show, because I mostly use subminiatures (Oly Pen F and minox) for film, just for fun. Mostly the 35mms are used for color negative machine prints. But I do have a couple I'll show below.

My lens selection for my Pentaxes are: 17mm f3.5 Tamron Adaptall, 35mm f2.8 Pentax-A, 50mm f1.4 Pentax-M, 50mm f2.8 Pentax-A macro, 90mm f2.5 Tamron Adaptall Macro, 135mm f3.5 Pentax-M, and a 400mm Tokina f5.6 ATX. I have others, but these are the ones I use.

This snapshot was taken with the MX and the 135mm f3.5, 1/125th at f11, I think, HP5 in HC110, scanned print. A friend of mine playing a sockeye in the Stellako River near Ft Fraser, BC.

The following picture is a hybrid, the original taken with the K1000 and the 90mm f2.5 Tamron, Tri-X in D76. Can't remember the exposure but it was indoors in a recording studio (this is the technician listening to the tape) so it was probably about 1/30 at f4 or so. The print was photographed with my K10D and the 50mm Pentax-A macro - before I had a scanner. The grainy effect is probably partially noise and partially grain, as I say, a hybrid shot.

04-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #2672

Quick shots of my current film gear. Lx has been my main shooter and mx has been the backup camera.
When i bought the LX from germany, i even managed to get the original paperwork with it, even the receipt in D-Marks from 1992 =)
Been thinking about slowly letting them go but can't figure out the right prize for LX with accessories and lens. If anyone cares to advice (via PM's, perhaps), i would be grateful.
Forgot to take a picture of a original never-ready case for lx...

-Heikki
Attached Images

04-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #2673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HeikkiK Quote
Been thinking about slowly letting them go but can't figure out the right prize for LX with accessories and lens.
How can you let go of these beauties? Unless I was badly in need of the cash, I would hang onto them for their sheer quality.
04-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #2674
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Quick shots of my current film gear. Lx has been my main shooter and mx has been the backup camera.
When i bought the LX from germany, i even managed to get the original paperwork with it, even the receipt in D-Marks from 1992 =)
Been thinking about slowly letting them go but can't figure out the right prize for LX with accessories and lens. If anyone cares to advice (via PM's, perhaps), i would be grateful.
Forgot to take a picture of a original never-ready case for lx...

-Heikki
Attached Images

Here is one with FA 50 mm f 1.4 on eBay for $525--but without the winder and other accessories.

04-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #2675

Arnold&ivanvernon

Thanks for replying. You got me thinking twice about selling the lx. Problem isn't the current prizes in eBay, as i've been following them as well. I just dont think that they represent the 'correct' value. I feel that most of prizes of the older camera equipment in eBay are the prizes of highly collectable equipment regardless of condition. This is offcourse due to the fact that Sellers would like to get as much money as possible(who wouldn't). What i was looking for was an idea of Møre correct prize of a photographic tool. I realize that the term "correct price" has it's problems and is dictated by seller and buyer meeting on correct level. Still, i think that eBay has got most of us to overprice our gear.

Does this make any sense or should i blame it on too few sleeping hours

-Heikki
04-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #2676
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Arnold&ivanvernon

Thanks for replying. You got me thinking twice about selling the lx. Problem isn't the current prizes in eBay, as i've been following them as well. I just dont think that they represent the 'correct' value. I feel that most of prizes of the older camera equipment in eBay are the prizes of highly collectable equipment regardless of condition. This is offcourse due to the fact that Sellers would like to get as much money as possible(who wouldn't). What i was looking for was an idea of Møre correct prize of a photographic tool. I realize that the term "correct price" has it's problems and is dictated by seller and buyer meeting on correct level. Still, i think that eBay has got most of us to overprice our gear.

Does this make any sense or should i blame it on too few sleeping hours

-Heikki
The correct price for anything is about as elusive a concept as one can imagine. I think that for vintage cameras, a very large part of the price has to do with condition since many if not most potential buyers are collectors, not users of film. A new LX in original box might be worth well over a thousand dollars to a serious collector, while a very worn LX with scratches, loose lens fittings, etc., would go for next to nothing, less than one hundred dollars. A factor that raises the price for your LX is the winder and other accessories which I suspect are difficult for collectors to locate.

I have a good deal of vintage equipment, mainly cannon and mainly not in mint condition, and one factor for me in selling it is the nature of the buyer. For a young person wishing to have a camera to study photography, I would probably give them an outfit without charge, while asking more of a market price from other buyer prospects.
04-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #2677

thank you for taking the time to reply. good thoughts and "depending of buyer"-concept is something for me to think about as well. this was what i was looking for.

highly appreciated
thanks
-heikki

04-07-2014, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2678
Veteran Member

I'd certainly hang onto those as well.

I've two MXs currently: one is a nice and dinged-up but always with me "blackie"... and the other a beautifully pristine and rock solid "chromie" which I use as a back-up and usually load slower films in. The chromie is one of the late model types without the Asahi stamp in the top-back-right of the body, and the plastic (rather than metal) film card holder.

I also just sold my third MX and my K1000 two days ago. The K1000 just wasn't seeing any use any longer and, well I didn't really need THREE MXs.

I've used but never owned an LX. Have been thinking about a purchase one for quite a good while. Would be nice to have a solid option that offers an Av mode as well as the solid low-light metering the LX can do. For my shooting there
are certainly times I'd appreciate both, but at the end of the day, the size and simplicity of the MX simply makes it my favorite cam I've ever used.

---------- Post added 04-07-14 at 10:52 AM ----------

04-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #2679

I just bought aMX of eBay. Wonder if it was yours

I'm just getting back into film cameras. I've been a Pentax guy for as long as I can remember. Just pulled out and dusted of my two ME Supers and a MG.

Tom
04-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #2680
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Krein Quote
I just bought aMX of eBay. Wonder if it was yours

I'm just getting back into film cameras. I've been a Pentax guy for as long as I can remember. Just pulled out and dusted of my two ME Supers and a MG.

Tom
These great old film cameras deserve some love. MXs, ME Supers, and MGs are all superb small SLRs.
04-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #2681

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
These great old film cameras deserve some love. MXs, ME Supers, and MGs are all superb small SLRs.
Yep.

04-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #2682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Personal Epiphany

Pictures to follow, but I thought I would witness to my personal epiphany.

I bought a brassy old black SP and another brassy black SP-F, loaded them up with Tri-X and one each of my M42 50's to see if they work. Yep, they work OK. Sending them both off to Eric for his special touch and fine tuning.

What a blast though to use a well-used camera.

1. I don't need to baby them. They're already brassy.
2. whose hands rubbed all this paint off? What stories can this camera tell? Where has it been - what images have passed through tis prism? Did anything noteworthy happen in its life or did it just knock around the back of a junk drawer for thirty years until the Estate Sale?

Someone could write a novel - - or do an exhibition.

So - SV, SP, SP-F, KX, LX. Is that enough? (uh, actually, yes it is).
04-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #2683
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pictures to follow, but I thought I would witness to my personal epiphany.

I bought a brassy old black SP and another brassy black SP-F, loaded them up with Tri-X and one each of my M42 50's to see if they work. Yep, they work OK. Sending them both off to Eric for his special touch and fine tuning.

What a blast though to use a well-used camera.

1. I don't need to baby them. They're already brassy.
2. whose hands rubbed all this paint off? What stories can this camera tell? Where has it been - what images have passed through tis prism? Did anything noteworthy happen in its life or did it just knock around the back of a junk drawer for thirty years until the Estate Sale?

Someone could write a novel - - or do an exhibition.

So - SV, SP, SP-F, KX, LX. Is that enough? (uh, actually, yes it is).
Are you talking about cameras or the smoking pipes?
04-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #2684
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pavpen Quote
Are you talking about cameras or the smoking pipes?
Dunno. Maybe I had a little smokie pipie before I tested the cameras. Or something.
04-13-2014, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #2685
Veteran Member

When I call in for backup, I ring up this guy...

Name:  mx chrome with winder.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  502.9 KB

taken with MX, 77mm ltd, superia x-tra 400