Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #256
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Right hand: Grip + shutter release
Left hand: Lens barrel

Works for vertical or horizontal orientation.
The left hand is the same for either; only the right hand moves.

Chris
then why do people need the battery grip for portrait shooting? although my left hand is on the lens barrel, my hand is still on the bottom of the camera. and if im not focusing, im not touching the lens. you always have your hands on the lens?

07-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #257
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Such grips are popular with the rangefinder crowd, and that's the going rate.
The one I bought makes my MX body handle much better.
I love my KX. It's worth spending $79.00 on. Isn't yours?

Chris
I just got my KX and have had Eric do a CLA and a little repair. I also found a nice case for it and am looking for a Pentax-K 50 or 55 to finish out the package. I think I will wait a while before I invest any more money in the KX though a grip may well be worth it.

Steve
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
then why do people need the battery grip for portrait shooting? although my left hand is on the lens barrel, my hand is still on the bottom of the camera. and if im not focusing, im not touching the lens. you always have your hands on the lens?
AFAIK I use the standard film SLR hold you'd see in any classic film SLR instruction manual.
Maybe today's DSLRs are just too big and heavy to hold that way.

I do try to always keep my left hand on the lens. Less fumbling about means less missed shots, in theory anyway...

Chris
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #259
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

AFAIK I use the standard film SLR hold you'd see in any classic film SLR instruction manual.
Maybe today's DSLRs are just too big and heavy to hold that way.

I do try to always keep my left hand on the lens. Less fumbling about means less missed shots, in theory anyway...

Chris
I have rather huge hands and sometimes do a modified version of the classic camera "hold".
  • Right hand grips right side of body with index or second finger working the shutter
  • Left hand with fingers curled over the top of the lens and thumb hooked under the body around to the back.
Very, very secure and steady. Unhook the thumb to adjust focus or aperture.

Steve

(As I said...you need huge hands...)

07-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #260

Photos: Albums
Steve,
I picked up a MX and found that fingers over the top blocked light from the apeture window. Had to relearn. Have sold MX and no longer a problem.

Steve N
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #261
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
Steve,
I picked up a MX and found that fingers over the top blocked light from the apeture window. Had to relearn. Have sold MX and no longer a problem.

Steve N
Ha! Ha!

I accidentally cover the Judas window at times as well, despite the fact that I have had almost 30 years of experience shooting with that feature on my Ricoh XR7. The KX is a little larger and it is less of a problem with it.

Steve
07-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #262
Site Supporter

I got an MZ-3 yesterday and that thing is small even with the battery pack. It makes the ME F and SuperProgram seem huge in my hands.

07-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #263
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Production numbers as best as are known:

Asahi-Pentax 1957 19,546 units made
Pentax S 1958 ca. 4,900
Pentax K 1958 21,454
Pentax S2/ H2 1959-1963 130,892
Pentax S3/ H3 1961-1969 361,215
Pentax S1/ H1 1961-1963 ca. 46,500
Pentax S2 super 1962-1968 ca. 52,500
Pentax SV 1962-1968 ca. 481,696
Pentax S1a 1962-1968 ca. 135,352

The "S" is the rarest followed by the AP then then by the K. However, it is the beauty of the Zebra lens that makes the K so desirable. Everyone wants it. Also, it really is a transitional model in that it introduced the automatic diaphragm and the lens itself is a forebearer of the 55 f/1.8 lens that became a very important standard. It is quite an important camera in its own right and arguably the most beautiful of the early hand made models. I believe The H2 was the last of the hand made models and after that they were all mass produced - perhaps not as we currently understand that term, but nonetheless...

woof!
Thanks for the overview.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
My son and I went on a hike this afternoon and took one of my other babies as well, my me super . I was trying some real slow shutter stuff, will post pics when I am done with the roll.

Looking great

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think of the SV as more of a Brigitte Bardot and the AP/S/K as a Grace Kelley. The black ESII is like a Ann-Margaret.

Edit:

Very fine pictures
07-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #264
Veteran Member

Testarossa

Fairly new hobby: I've been collecting Pentax film bodies for the last couple of years (to keep the prices down, mostly just the broken ones that I might be able to fix). I just finished restoring this K1000SE. Belle of the ball, pride and joy, etc.

07-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #265
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
You don't *need,* really, though it's nice. Steadier, for one.

I always keep the left hand under the lens, cradling it, best way to support the camera, and of course, have your hand on the controls.

With my K20d, grip, and the very light FA 50 on there, (for horizontals) I often find that this scheme actually finds my thumb a little further back onto the lens mount itself to rest on the AF mode switch, which needs to move before I could MF with that lens anyway.

For verticals, really depending on your shape and size and how your camera is laid out, you can do verticals with the regular shutter release up or down, if you aren't using a vertical release. I usually prefer to keep both hands low, rather than drape my right hand over the 'top' and have my elbow out there in space, but the former can be more awkward than it's worth for some, and not all shutters are really positioned well for that, these days. (Works best for me with regular-sized and big-ol' Canons. It's a bit precarious with my long fingers on even like an ME Super, due to its size.)

Pretty job, Sluggo. And, wow, I haven't seen one of those cap-keepers on anything in a long time. Very 'period.'
07-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #266
Site Supporter

Since this thread is active again, here is Lady K:

07-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #267
Veteran Member

it... doesnt have a name

my only gripe is its inability to use lenses without an aperture ring in Av mode, which.. is really really dumb.

otherwise it served me well.

07-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #268
Veteran Member

Nice one Blue. I just watched one of those close out on ebay a couple of days ago -- it had the zebra lens and everything. It went for $199 plus shipping if you're curious. I wasn't bidding -- just saw it and thought I'd see what it went for.
07-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #269
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Nice one Blue. I just watched one of those close out on ebay a couple of days ago -- it had the zebra lens and everything. It went for $199 plus shipping if you're curious. I wasn't bidding -- just saw it and thought I'd see what it went for.
Thanks. I was watching that one also.
07-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #270
Veteran Member

My 2 (soon to be 1?) k-mount bodies.