Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #2686
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pictures to follow, but I thought I would witness to my personal epiphany.

I bought a brassy old black SP and another brassy black SP-F, loaded them up with Tri-X and one each of my M42 50's to see if they work. Yep, they work OK. Sending them both off to Eric for his special touch and fine tuning.

What a blast though to use a well-used camera.

1. I don't need to baby them. They're already brassy.
2. whose hands rubbed all this paint off? What stories can this camera tell? Where has it been - what images have passed through tis prism? Did anything noteworthy happen in its life or did it just knock around the back of a junk drawer for thirty years until the Estate Sale?

Someone could write a novel - - or do an exhibition.

So - SV, SP, SP-F, KX, LX. Is that enough? (uh, actually, yes it is).
The black Spotmatic was the one I sold you right?

SAVE YOUR MONEY! It came back from Eric less than six months before I sold it. He reconditioned everything after it had a serious shutter failure.

04-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #2687
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
SAVE YOUR MONEY! It came back from Eric less than six months before I sold it. He reconditioned everything after it had a serious shutter failure.
Thanks - remember that.
04-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #2688
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Very nice light vacuum =p
Hi
I really like that finder. My lx has the FA-1w. I must search for one, what is it called? The FA-2?

---------- Post added 04-18-2014 at 12:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
A new one to round out my collection of Spotmatics from SP 1000, SP, SP2, SP F, and now SP ES11
Wow, that is a really nice chrome version of the ES II. Wonder if there is a ES around in chrome also.
04-18-2014, 10:26 PM - 2 Likes   #2689

Photos: Albums
Some K bodies. I'm really enjoying the K2.

04-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #2690
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jscornelius Quote
Nice, but a black K1000?

Phil.
04-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #2691
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice, but a black K1000?

Phil.
Same I was going to say First time I have seen a black K1000. Very very nice,

---------- Post added 04-20-2014 at 12:32 AM ----------

Impressive!

Would you mind posting some pictures of the black k1000?
04-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #2692

The late K1000s were plastic top and bottom. This one was given to me, and had been brutally engraved on the sides of the prism and on the bottom, deeply and permanently. I disassembled it, filled the gouges, sanded, primed and painted it with black appliance paint. From a reasonable distance it looks pretty good. I suspect with a dust proof spray booth I could have done better but it works. I've also replace the leatherette (which was also ruined with painted ID) with griptac from cameraleather.com. Nice and grippy. No time to set up the tripod tonight, but I'll take some shots when I can and post them.
04-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #2693
Pentaxian

Great job on that black K1000!

04-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #2694
Pentaxian

The late K1000s were plastic top and bottom. This one was given to me, and had been brutally engraved on the sides of the prism and on the bottom, deeply and permanently. I disassembled it, filled the gouges, sanded, primed and painted it with black appliance paint. From a reasonable distance it looks pretty good. I suspect with a dust proof spray booth I could have done better but it works. I've also replace the leatherette (which was also ruined with painted ID) with griptac from cameraleather.com. Nice and grippy. No time to set up the tripod tonight, but I'll take some shots when I can and post them.
Nicely done! I love Griptac, I have it on my Bessa R2 (it came to me that way) and my two LX's and my 6x7. I'm glad you explained to us that you made your K1000 into a black one, otherwise I think myself and a few others here were going to be scouring the Bay for hours fruitlessly
04-20-2014, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #2695
Pentaxian

The elegant LX with the FA2 finder next to the MX.

04-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #2696

Nicely done! I love Griptac, I have it on my Bessa R2 (it came to me that way) and my two LX's and my 6x7. I'm glad you explained to us that you made your K1000 into a black one, otherwise I think myself and a few others here were going to be scouring the Bay for hours fruitlessly
As promised, quick shot of the K1000 by itself. The top plate, lens surround (which was tricky, by the way), wind lever and bottom plate were removed, primed and painted. I masked the top of the shutter button and removed the flash shoe first. Also, the little plastic tip on the wind lever is removable and was removed. It is a simple camera to work on. There's a little dust captured forever on the prism sides where it was certain to be visible, but otherwise I think it looks ok.

I have seen one before, badly done, but never seen one on the Bay.

Last edited by jscornelius; 04-20-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: ack... no image.
04-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #2697
Pentaxian

Great job. K.

As promised, quick shot of the K1000 by itself. The top plate, lens surround (which was tricky, by the way), wind lever and bottom plate were removed, primed and painted. I masked the top of the shutter button and removed the flash shoe first. Also, the little plastic tip on the wind lever is removable and was removed. It is a simple camera to work on. There's a little dust captured forever on the prism sides where it was certain to be visible, but otherwise I think it looks ok.

I have seen one before, badly done, but never seen one on the Bay.

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 06:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The elegant LX with the FA2 finder next to the MX.
Sweet, very sweet. K.
04-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #2698
Lens Buying Addict

The black Spotmatic was the one I sold you right?

Thanks - remember that.
I must be having a bout of CBA. That's what I get for selling a $500 lens.

I just CL scored an ES with SMC55/1.8 and ESII with SMC50/1.4 (black of course), CLA'ed with ER Cases (<$100 all-in). That's 4 CLA'ed M42 bodies this month. So I suppose my 'pictures follow' will have to be a family portrait.
04-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #2699
Site Supporter

So I suppose my 'pictures follow' will have to be a family portrait.
Yes please!

Phil
04-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #2700

My first Pentax, bought it today. I'm very happy with it, can't wait to use it