My first Pentax, bought it today. I'm very happy with it, can't wait to use it
Have fun!

Steve

04-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #2702
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agusbmxarg Quote
You've got a bit of a legend right there. Enjoy!
04-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #2703
Pentaxian

The ME tends to get forgotten as the ME Super gets the limelight, but it's every bit as nice to use and with 2 stops of exposure compensation and learning to calculate an exposure and using the 1/100s manual speed, it's really almost as capable.

The M 50mm f/1.7 is a superb lens too, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
04-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #2704

I got a MX today... heheheh. NOW I'm completly happy. Full manual features. Sadly, I should sell the ME because of financial matters but, atleast I got one nice little camera now...

05-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #2705
Pentaxian

A superb little camera with a nice lens! Aside from manual exposure, what more could you want?

---------- Post added 05-04-14 at 02:23 PM ----------

I got a MX today... heheheh. NOW I'm completly happy. Full manual features. Sadly, I should sell the ME because of financial matters but, atleast I got one nice little camera now...
The MX is the superior tool, but the ME will be a better camera to use if you need to be quite fast, like street photography. You will likely not got all that mich for the ME compared to how much camera it is. Id keep it unless you are $30 or so dollars from making rent.
05-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #2706
Inactive Account

I have more analogue camera's from Pentax but this one is my oldest:

05-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #2707
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panzerfaustnl Quote
I have more analogue camera's from Pentax but this one is my oldest:
The SV has a hand made quality to it. It's all one really needs for most photographs.
05-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #2708
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also finally got an MX. I was considering the LX but the costs for both purchase and CLA were too much of a turnoff. I also greatly dislike using anything I can't afford to replace.
I got lucky on this one and found it on Ebay body only missing the battery door and with a stuck counter sold as is for parts. I noted it looked practically like new despite being dirty and I correctly guessed that the battery door had gotten lost because they stored it with the battery out when the meter got stuck on.
Long story short after purchase a battery door from another auction, all shipping and a CLA from Eric ($93) I have $140 total into it. The only real flaw I can find is a faint scuff at the very bottom of the focus screen (top of screen in viewfinder) which you have to be looking for to notice. Eric was able to fix several different issues with it. The lens was from a separate auction for $40 shipped and is thankfully also like new as I am anal about lens glass condition.

I like the better viewfinder it has over my K1000 and the few extra handy features (half press, DOF, ect.), and I like that the lights show partial stops which is a problem with my Super Program which only shows full stops over or under for exposure when in manual mode (which is all I use), which is totally idiotic since it shows 1/3 stops just fine in the auto modes. I do love the 2000 shutter speed of the Super Program and a few other things like TTL with my 280T flash however plus its grip and balance are perfect for me. The MX could use a grip like the Super Program and I would love if it had the Super Programs ultra short winder stroke. I also fairly well despise the comparatively stiff and hard to access (crowding by shutter button and winder) shutter dial on the MX, the K1000 is easy to turn and out in the open, and the Super Program has 2 simple buttons you can easily operate while holding the camera one handed.
If I make any more big purchases it will be a Pentax spot meter, more than likely the V rather than the digital for cost reasons.

For lenses I use whatever in my signature I need for the purpose and for film I pretty much stick to Ilford Delta 400 with a few just for fun cheapy color rolls on occasion.

Also, agus keep your ME, you need more than one film camera so you can shoot 2 different speed or type of films on the same day or just to avoid pissing away the rest of a good roll to switch to something else the next day.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 05-21-2014 at 09:29 PM.
05-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #2709
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Last January when I was last in the US I sent four cameras, two motordrives and a dial data back to Eric for some TLC. They arrived back at a friend's in Ohio in February and have been waiting for my next trip to the US to collect them. I was finally reunited last week. Here is a smap shot of of them taken in my hotel room with some lenses I had with me (Super A with a A50/1.4, black MX with an M40/2.8 pancake, silver MX with a K28/3.5 shift and a early black Spotmatic with a Super Takumar 55mm f/2). The rest of the unboxing sequence is on my ipernity account for those that like that sort of thing. I have already put two rolls of Ektar 100 through the Super A and have some APX100 in the black MX.

Unboxing (9) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Cheers, Kris.
05-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #2710
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
was finally reunited last week.
What a lovely collection, and all serviced and ready to go.
06-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #2711
Pentaxian

I was looking for another un-metered Asahi body when I found a "K" in relatively good shape cosmetically and functionally.

The review of this states, "With the new Auto Takumar lenses, the camera would stop down the aperture to the shooting value just prior to firing the shutter. One then had to manually open up the aperture again with a lever on the lens."
I don't (currently) have the Auto-Takumar lens that was released with this body but using a Super Takumar lens on it, I can see that it closes the blades to the selected aperture and opens after it fires. So when the review states that it had to be manually open again, that must be because of the lens as clearly the actuator that pushes the pin in retracts after the shutter is fired.
Also, pressing the shutter - without it being cocked to fire, pushes the pin that closes the aperture blades in the lens. Releasing it releases the actuator too. This is unlike my Spotmatic where pushing the shutter - while at rest, doesn't move that actuator.
Are these the normal behavior?
06-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #2712
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lovely looking K I must say... not that I am jealous or anything. I'll let someone who has more direct experience answer your query though.

K.
06-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #2713
Pentaxian

Thanks Kris, it really is in good shape without even considering it's age and BGN (bargain) price. It also brings symmetry . . .

After playing with it some more, the shutter trigger does in fact directly control the mechanism that pushes the pin on the lens. For instance, if you release the shutter trigger midway into the exposure, the aperture blades will open up. So you have to make sure you keep it pressed until the exposure is done. If anyone can confirm this I would certainly appreciate it - that 's normal operation or mine requires attention.
06-07-2014, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #2714
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
So you have to make sure you keep it pressed until the exposure is done. If anyone can confirm this I would certainly appreciate it - that 's normal operation or mine requires attention.
The K was meant to work with the pre-set lenses. These lenses are "cocked" with a spring lever, into the open position. When you push the release, the first thing that happens is that the release pin on the lens is tripped, and the lens closes to the pre-set position where it will remain until the lens is cocked again. I have been caught out when the clunk of the lens being tripped led me to believe the shutter had fired as well. I learned to continue pushing the plunger all the way to trip the shutter as well. Your lenses open automatically without being cocked. The K may not work properly with later lenses if it doesn't push the pin all the way in. Unlike with the pre-set lens which only uses the mechanism to trip a spring, the degree of depression. is important on later lenses.
06-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #2715
Pentaxian

Thanks for the confirmation. I also read it in Danilo Cecchi's Asahi Pentax book that once the lens has been tripped to stop down, that you have to push the button on the lens to open it back up even though it is designated as an auto aperture lens.