Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #2716
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Found an ad for the Pentax K in a 1958 Modern Photography magazine. It does say auto aperture, the lens stops down automatically . . . but of course now I know it doesn't open automatically.
Now the hunt begins for a 55mm f1.8.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/7EAEA99C915707D/orig.jpg

06-10-2014, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #2717
Veteran Member

I just love this advertising. Fascinating to read the excitement with which they tout the amazing new technological advance; complete with the all-caps shouting "INSTANTLY!". In a very short time today's advertising will seem similarly quaint.
06-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #2718

Ok so I finally sold my ME, and got my MX working (new mirror damper, back seals, still have to clean the viewfinder but that doesn't affect the use of camera) and I got also a 2stop yellow filter (pentax).
From now on I will be shooting with tmax100 since that's what we are developing at the photo class and I want to start learning the most out of the process with one film.

I want to try out a ND filter to take architectural long exposure photos.
The only new option available in my area is a MARUMI ND-8X, anyone have any experience with it?.
06-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #2719
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by agusbmxarg Quote
Ok so I finally sold my ME, and got my MX working (new mirror damper, back seals, still have to clean the viewfinder but that doesn't affect the use of camera) and I got also a 2stop yellow filter (pentax).
From now on I will be shooting with tmax100 since that's what we are developing at the photo class and I want to start learning the most out of the process with one film.

I want to try out a ND filter to take architectural long exposure photos.
The only new option available in my area is a MARUMI ND-8X, anyone have any experience with it?.
That's a handsome MX. T-Max 100 is very nice stuff too.

I have a Marumi polariser and it's superb, absolutely no degradation of image quality when using it.

06-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #2720

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That's a handsome MX. T-Max 100 is very nice stuff too.

I have a Marumi polariser and it's superb, absolutely no degradation of image quality when using it.

Today I developed the first roll with it. It ended up greeeaat. Can't believe I did this good for a first time heh.

I stil have to investigate and read more about filters, There are several nominations I'm not familiar with, but what I just want to achieve is long exposures at daylight with minimum loss of quality.
06-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #2721
JBA

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
I wish I had a black KX, they are so beautiful!
Feel free to live vicariously through me. I agree, they're beautiful . . .

. . . and so is a black Spotmatic.

Films I've used so far in my new romance with Pentax are Ilford PanF & Fuji Astia. Fomapan 400, Kodak Tri-X, BW400CN, & Ektar 100 are all eagerly waiting in the fridge along with more PanF.
06-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #2722
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JBA Quote
Feel free to live vicariously through me. I agree, they're beautiful . . .

. . . and so is a black Spotmatic.

Films I've used so far in my new romance with Pentax are Ilford PanF & Fuji Astia. Fomapan 400, Kodak Tri-X, BW400CN, & Ektar 100 are all eagerly waiting in the fridge along with more PanF.
Nice pair!

Phil.

06-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #2723
JBA

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice pair!

Phil.
. . . As the bishop said to the actress!

Cheers!
07-01-2014, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #2724

Photos: Gallery
MX

My first Pentax film camera is my Spotmatic I bought new in 1970. My latest Pentax film camera is my MX I bought new (still in original unopened box) at a garage sale in 2014.
Attached Images

07-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #2725

QuoteOriginally posted by Bythorn Quote
My latest Pentax film camera is my MX I bought new (still in original unopened box) at a garage sale in 2014.

I hope that camera doesn't stay unopened, that needs to be on the streets asap!
07-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #2726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first Pentax film camera is my Spotmatic I bought new in 1970. My latest Pentax film camera is my MX I bought new (still in original unopened box) at a garage sale in 2014.
Nice pickup!

Phil.
07-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #2727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a fantastic find. The seals and mirror bumper may need to be looked at though. I love these MXs and have four, including my original from 1977. One of them is almost brand new but not as new as yours. If it were mine, I would be loath to "un-new" it when I have other MXs to use. There is the irony. We all want to acquire a new one, but then take steps to reduce the shrinking pool for others, by using it.
07-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #2728
Veteran Member

Drool! It looks really nice!
07-02-2014, 04:53 AM   #2729

MX ? New and un-opened ?
You're sooo lucky !!!! I confess I am jealous

The only way it could be better is if it were black

Take good care of that jewel. Use it, but be kind with it.
07-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #2730

Don't worry, I'll take good care of it. The batteries that came with the camera were corroded (they were dated 81 on the package). The only 35mm film I had in the freezer is 2 rolls of slide film and about a dozen rolls of iso 800 print film, so I ran a roll of the print film. The only problem I have noticed is the frame counter doesn't work, but other than that, the camera worked fine.

It's an interesting story how I found the camera. The development where I live was having a community garage sale. I never go to garage sales, but my daughter and son-in-law decided to see what everyone had for sale. When they came back, they were having a discussion. My daugher said the the camera had the name Honeywell on the body, but my son-in-law said that the word started with the letter H but was not Honeywell. This peaked my interest, so I asked them what they were talking about, and they told me that my neighbor had a bunch of Pentax camera's for sale. We, of course, had to go check this out and learn who was right about the wording on the camera. It turns out they were both right; the word Honeywell was on the pentaprizim, and the word Heiland was on the body. Anyway, my neighbor had about a half-dozen Pentax cameras for sale, and at the back of the table was a box labeled MX. I picked up the box, and the price on it said "$100, never used". I told him to hold the camera for me, and I immediately went home and got $100 from my crap shooting fund, and rushed back to buy the camera.