Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #2746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Nothing beats my LX so.........

Hehe
Somehow I just haven't bonded with my LX. I always wanted one - now that I have it - meh. It's just a really competent tool with a host of accessories that can pretty much do everything for me. It's a late model with no brass and an Eric CLA, everready case (!) and an uncut Grip A - and all the caps and little bits - maybe it's just a bit to . . . . . good.

I know that sounds silly but I don't have fun with it. Like a Lexus - It has no character.

I'm going to sell it.

07-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #2747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Somehow I just haven't bonded with my LX. I always wanted one - now that I have it - meh.
I've had mine since bought new (80s?), but have used an MX more, as I like the meter display better. On the LX, manual mode, you match the flag to an LED. In very bright Texas sun you can't see the LEDs, and in dim light you can't see the flag. So when I use the LX it is usually in auto mode. (Same issue with my Leica R4.)
Bright sunlight I'll take a Spotmatic (or SV with clip on meter.), and dim light the MX.
07-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #2748
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Bright sunlight I'll take a Spotmatic (or SV with clip on meter.), and dim light the MX.
I really like the blue match-needle arrangement of my KX'es.
07-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #2749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somehow I just haven't bonded with my LX. I always wanted one - now that I have it - meh. It's just a really competent tool with a host of accessories that can pretty much do everything for me. It's a late model with no brass and an Eric CLA, everready case (!) and an uncut Grip A - and all the caps and little bits - maybe it's just a bit to . . . . . good.

I know that sounds silly but I don't have fun with it. Like a Lexus - It has no character.

I'm going to sell it.
I cannot seen how an LX and Lexus compare. The LX runs both with and without batteries, it doesn't polute to much, it can change its look and feel, it gives great milage and makes its owner grin when using it. The Lexus is just an expensive Toyota Carina.

But agreeing to what camera is best is impossible. As long as it is a Pentax.

---------- Post added 07-15-2014 at 06:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I've had mine since bought new (80s?), but have used an MX more, as I like the meter display better. On the LX, manual mode, you match the flag to an LED. In very bright Texas sun you can't see the LEDs, and in dim light you can't see the flag. So when I use the LX it is usually in auto mode. (Same issue with my Leica R4.)
I have had my LX since it was new in the early 80ties. And I have also swithced between MX and Lx. I like them both alot. It is possible to let some light in thru the viewfinder to make the numbers apear white on black when the light is to strong to see.

07-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #2750
Pentaxian

Thankfully liking different cameras is a good thing, well at least in my opinion it is. Having too many film cameras means that if I fancy taking the Lubitel 2 out for a change, I can, or if I want to play with a ugly plastic brick I'll use the SFXn. Whenever I have a big trip, however, and have to pick what equipment to take, I almost always end up with the LX for colour and the MX for BW.

K.
07-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #2751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I almost always end up with the LX for colour and the MX for BW
I get all of that and I know I'm supposed to drool whenever I get out the LX . . . . . and the MX is just too small for my hands (don't even go into asking me how I can use a Q)

but I take the split-image KX for B&W and the matte screen KX for color and my K primes will all fit in one Domke J2.
07-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #2752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the blue match-needle arrangement of my KX'es.
+1 easy to read in any light.

Phil.

07-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #2753
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

the MX is just too small for my hands
Same here. I was very interested in buying one in the early 1980s, but found that none of the controls fell to any of my fingers, even with the half-case on. My KX, along with its evil twin the Ricoh XR-2s, is quite the other way.

Steve
07-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #2754
Pentaxian

I love the small bodies like the ME and MX for travelling, but otherwise I prefer something bigger.
07-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #2755
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I'm going to sell it.
The LX really is quite a minimalist but truly elegant design particularly when you compare it to it's peers. For instance, it doesn't have a viewfinder blind due to the fact that external light coming through does not influence the meter. It doesn't have a dedicated control for multi exposure but it is the only one that go forward or backward to any frame that you want to multiexpose. It has a traditional hotshoe with full TTL. It can aperture priority auto expose for as long as it takes - or batteries die, while monitoring the scene lighting and adjusting exposure time accordingly.

It's size is more in line with SLRs that do not have an interchangeable viewfinder.

I believe Pentax reach all the way back to come up with such an elegant design.

07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #2756
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get all that. I have an SV. At one time or another I've had nearly every mechanical camera Pentax made since 1958.

I was down to the SV, KX with micro prism, KX with split image and LX, but now I have a stewardship black MX on the way from a friend, so I'll use the MX winder to make the MX fit my hands.

Of course every time I put the LX on the backdrop I always put it back in the bag. I have a year-long project in mind that the LX will do nicely. Of course I could use each camera for part of the project just as nicely.

I suppose I should do a manual focus family reunion photo for the thread.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.
07-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #2757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get all that. I have an SV. At one time or another I've had nearly every mechanical camera Pentax made since 1958.
I suppose I should do a manual focus family reunion photo for the thread.
Yes please make a reunion photo

---------- Post added 07-21-2014 at 12:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

I believe Pentax reach all the way back to come up with such an elegant design.
Yes!

I am also lacking the original flash contact cover. Where can I get a new set?
07-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #2758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Yes please make a reunion photo
When the MX gets here.
08-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #2759
Veteran Member

My MZ-5N, so far with the FA20-35 and Voigtlander 90mm f3.5 APO-Lanthar.
Bought in the last month and shot my first roll of film in 10 years or so, love it!

08-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #2760
Veteran Member

Somehow I just haven't bonded with my LX. I always wanted one - now that I have it - meh.

I'm going to sell it.
Really interesting observation monochrome.

I used an MX for 20 years or more and like yourself found it too small. However, with the winder added it was a perfect fit for me. Over that 20 years I always wanted an LX. We always want what we don't have right. I had the chance to pick up a good used LX a few years ago. It was in great shape and felt great. The film advance was pefection itself but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. It was probably becuase I shoot so little film these days and it just didn't make any sense as I already have two excellent film cameras in the MX along with a really nice K2.

In any case your obsevation struck a chord with me. Like so many things in life the wanting of a thing is often more important than the actual having. You've set my mind at ease on the LX score. It might have been nice to have one but I'll just put that dream to rest ...... at least for the moment.

Tom G