02-12-2016, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #3078
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
My favorite camera: Pentax 645
My second favorite camera: Nikon F3HP

My favorite lenses: Pentax 645 SMC A 35mm f/3.5, 75mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4
My second favorite lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI-S, Nikkor 85mm f/2 AI-S, Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AI-S

My favorite color neg film: 120 Kodak Ektar 100
My favorite color slide film: 120 Fujichrome Velvia 100
My favorite b&w film: 120 Ilford Delta 100
My favorite extinct film: 120 Kodak Kodachrome 64
My favorite 35mm film: Ilford XP2+ Super

Why 645? I can easily see my contact sheets without a loupe. The medium format real estate allow much greater enlargements while retaining resolution and detail, the ability to crop more, and beautiful bokeh with shallow depth-of-field. The camera and grip are well-balanced and the thunder clap of mirror, shutter curtains, and film advance motor and gears boldly screams that I made a decision, captured the light, and am storing the past for the future.

Why primes? Durability, size, speed, image quality, shallow depth-of-field, brighter viewfinder and weight. It also forces me to move in my environment to discover the potential angles, perspectives, and a consistent look or style. They are not jack of all trades, and masters of none. They are masters of the one thing.

Why film? I love digital, but when I shoot film, I feel like I have the potential of creating Art. I don't have a virtual digital negative with infinite copies; I have one unique analog negative. Film has a flatness, almost canvas like quality, that demands care and craft. Each digital sensor has a quality, but you only get one of those. Each film has its own qualities of tonal or color rendition, grain structure, dynamic range, and then depending on how and in what it is developed will alter unique results. The latent image forces intent and vision and patience and something that feels like poetry.
And finally a portrait of the tribe.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D200  Photo 
02-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #3079
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh my. Black MESuper. Beautiful.
Yes!! I've also found a spotmatic II black + tak 50mm 1.4, but I don't know how much is that camera worthed.. But is amazing!

02-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #3080
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My MX, ME and ME-F the first photo with my new Olympus OM-D E-M10
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10  Photo 
02-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #3081
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

300 Millimeters taken with Sony NEX6 and Pentax-M 40/2.8 Pancake by Jason Doss, on Flickr
02-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #3082

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh my. Black MESuper. Beautiful.
Used to own a black ME Super. Real sexy looking, but just couldn't go back to AE..

02-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #3083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Used to own a black ME Super. Real sexy looking, but just couldn't go back to AE..
There seems to be a winding weakness in the ME Super that is more common than in the ME. I wonder if they went too light on the parts when they went to the Super ME. It is still the MX or KX for me when it comes to a Pentax choice.
02-18-2016, 02:56 AM   #3084
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
There seems to be a winding weakness in the ME Super that is more common than in the ME. I wonder if they went too light on the parts when they went to the Super ME. It is still the MX or KX for me when it comes to a Pentax choice.
I didn't know about this problem, never had a single problem with the ME Super. Maybe just lucky and because I don't use it daily.
What's the main reason for you to choose the MX? I don't know the MX at all.
02-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #3085

QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
Why MX? Too many reasons.. I suggest you head over to the reviews section and check out what others have to say.
02-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #3086
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I didn't know about this problem, never had a single problem with the ME Super. Maybe just lucky and because I don't use it daily.
QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Why MX? Too many reasons.. I suggest you head over to the reviews section and check out what others have to say.
?????

The MX is a good choice and a great camera, though not always an obviously superior option. It has its weaknesses and although I seriously considered getting one back-in-the-day, I did not and still have not bought one to this day.

Steve

(...could not wrap my long fingers around the controls...)
02-18-2016, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #3087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX is robust even if light. It was meant for professional use. The ME super has weak stamped parts that bend if winding is too forceful. Mine needs to be wound more than once to cock the shutter if it sits a while. Besides, I love a totally manual camera, and have never stopped admiring the MX I bought (and still use) in 1977. It has never needed a service other than replacing the foam seals. Electronics is a weak point in many cameras, witness the common failure of light meters. If the MX is too small for your hands, attach a winder, or get a KX. The KX is a K1000 without strip down. Or put another way, a K1000 is a stripped down economy version KX.
02-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #3088
Veteran Member

I agree with Arnold's comments about the KX. It has been my favorite 35mm Pentax for years. I've always been a fan of match-needle metering and that's one of the things I really like about mine. One of these days, I'm gonna get an MX. I've always thought of it as Pentax's version of the Nikon FM -- not totally an accurate assessment, I know, but from a functional standpoint, I think it works. Namely that it was intended to be a lightweight pro-level camera.
03-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #3089
Veteran Member

The MX is robust even if light. It was meant for professional use. The ME super has weak stamped parts that bend if winding is too forceful. Mine needs to be wound more than once to cock the shutter if it sits a while. Besides, I love a totally manual camera, and have never stopped admiring the MX I bought (and still use) in 1977. It has never needed a service other than replacing the foam seals. Electronics is a weak point in many cameras, witness the common failure of light meters. If the MX is too small for your hands, attach a winder, or get a KX. The KX is a K1000 without strip down. Or put another way, a K1000 is a stripped down economy version KX.
The MX is probably the most perfect 35mm mechanical manual SLR camera ever devised. It shows all exposure info in the viewfinder, it has easy to see, easy to read metering, the controls (for me at least) fall easily to hand and it's both smaller and lighter than other cameras that possess the same features, or fewer. It also has the very lovely Pentax "Magic Fingers" loading system, which it shares with the other M cameras and the LX.

The ME Super has a soft spot for me because my dad's camera growing up was the same ME super I have now, but the MX is just *the business* for 35mm SLRs. If I need Autoexposure, it's the LX that I go for, and if it's full automatic I need, the Super Program is similarly hard to beat.
03-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #3090
Veteran Member

I finally found a good deal on an MX. At least I hope it was a good deal. I found one at goodwill's auction site. Buying cameras there is always something of a crapshoot. I've bought winners and I've bought losers from them. But this MX is very clean looking, at least. Comes with a Tokina zoom, which may or may not be worth hanging on to. Anyway, I'll know just how well I've done in a few days. I'll be sure and post pix once it's arrived.