Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #3091
Site Supporter
sandbasser's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Riverside, CA USA
Posts: 142
I got an MX off eBay last month...it included a winder (with a rare in-tact battery door) which IMHO makes it handle much better. The meter seems a little off compared to my other MX so it's off to Eric when he's back to work.

03-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #3092
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 556
MX winders and motors are pretty uncommon on eBay these days. Good find! I will probably start looking for one for the MX I just bought soon. I don't blaze away at high frame rates with motors. I just prefer being able to keep my eye at the viewfinder when shooting and a winder or motor lets me do this.

I didn't realize that Eric was not "at work." I'm about to send an LX to him for a CLA, so maybe I should hold off for a while?
03-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #3093
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,051
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
MX winders and motors are pretty uncommon on eBay these days. Good find! I will probably start looking for one for the MX I just bought soon. I don't blaze away at high frame rates with motors. I just prefer being able to keep my eye at the viewfinder when shooting and a winder or motor lets me do this.

I didn't realize that Eric was not "at work." I'm about to send an LX to him for a CLA, so maybe I should hold off for a while?
I hear (not directly from him) that he had something done with a knee and is in rehab until the end of March [see next post]. The interview on PF says he has an apprentice - maybe she is answering emails.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2016 at 02:04 PM.
03-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #3094
Senior Member
RR84's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I didn't realize that Eric was not "at work." I'm about to send an LX to him for a CLA, so maybe I should hold off for a while?
This is what Eric had told me:

"I will be going into the hospital and having a knee replacement done on the 23rd of Feb. I will be in rehab for two weeks and should be back home soon after. It depends on how quickly I recover when I am able to get back to work.

So I am asking you to not send the unit(s) at this time and to wait until the middle of March to ship it. This will help me a lot. If you have already shipped them they will be hold at the post office until I pick them up. The guys there know me and will watch over my packages for me."


03-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #3095
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 556
I picked up a clean MX off the goodwill auction site the other day. It arrived today. Came with a compact Tokina 70-210 SD zoom. Can't complain. It cost me only $36 with the lens. Very clean and everything seems to work as it should. I'm running a test roll of Tri-X through it now. I must say, I enjoy the simple, yet full-information viewfinder. The only thing I can tell that seems to be amiss with it is that little plastic insert in the lever thingie that you rotate from "active" to "lock". It's missing. Doesn't bother me much, but I guess if it does, I can just add a little dollop of JB Weld into that notch, then shape it as the JB Weld starts to set up. Unless one of you has a parts MX and you might be willing to part with that little plastic doodad.



03-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #3096
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 60
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
The only thing I can tell that seems to be amiss with it is that little plastic insert in the lever thingie that you rotate from "active" to "lock". It's missing.
Same part is missing on mine.

Ronnie
03-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #3097
Site Supporter
sandbasser's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Riverside, CA USA
Posts: 142
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I picked up a clean MX off the goodwill auction site the other day. It arrived today. Came with a compact Tokina 70-210 SD zoom. Can't complain. It cost me only $36 with the lens. Very clean and everything seems to work as it should. I'm running a test roll of Tri-X through it now. I must say, I enjoy the simple, yet full-information viewfinder. The only thing I can tell that seems to be amiss with it is that little plastic insert in the lever thingie that you rotate from "active" to "lock". It's missing. Doesn't bother me much, but I guess if it does, I can just add a little dollop of JB Weld into that notch, then shape it as the JB Weld starts to set up. Unless one of you has a parts MX and you might be willing to part with that little plastic doodad.
I saw that camera/lens on goodwill. But, I haven't really had much luck with stuff off of goodwill, so I watched but didn't bid. Glad you got a good deal.

Still haven't gotten to try out my ebay MX, We've got some warm weather coming so I'll take 'er out for a spin soon.

Meanwhile, here's an image (edited with M$ Paint to fit forum), from my primary MX (w/28mm F2.8 Pentax-A lens). Taken at 2016 March Meet Car Show at Bakersfield (Famoso) Drag Strip.

The remaining images on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/gp/131520726@N06/84D108
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 

Last edited by sandbasser; 03-17-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add flickr link
03-17-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #3098
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 556
That's a nice shot, sandbasser. I know what you mean about the shopgoodwill crapshoot. I've had my winners and my losers, but so far winners have outnumbered losers.

Wow, the March Meets! That brings back a ton of memories. I recall when they moved the date to May because they were getting rained out in March. When did they move the meets back to March?

The March Meets were where I cut my eye teeth as a motorsports photographer. I met with the owner of Famoso for one year and told him I was a freelancer and requested a photo pass. And he gave me one! I lived in B Town until 1985 and managed to score photo passes for the meets I attended including that year. Got some great photos -- which are now all "vintage," but I don't mind.

Here are a couple of my favorites. They were probably shot with my Canon FTb (or maybe F-1) and Vivitar S1 28-90. Film was Kodachrome 64. The first photo looks kinda hazy because of all the tire smoke in the air. The second photo I've always liked because it was just shouting for a caption: "Mommy, when do I get to drive?"




03-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #3099
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pittsford, Michigan
Posts: 67
I got my MX and Canon AE-1 from Goodwill and they were almost perfect. I have also gotten a couple Ricoh's from there that went straight to the parts camera box.
03-30-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #3100
Veteran Member
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
A college friend of mine from my Durham days gave me his old film camera gear. A nice little set-up, although almost no surprises. The exception was a genuine Pentax helicoidal extension tube. which I am very pleased about. Andrew's sister had not long paid for the camera to be serviced, and so it was good to go. Now loaded with a roll of Kodak BW400CN.


Andrew's gear (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity


Andrew's gear (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity


Andrew's gear (3) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity


Andrew's gear (4) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity


Andrew's gear (5) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity


Andrew's gear (6) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Yes, I know I should have dusted it all first. ops: Photos taken with a K-3 fitted with a Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 lens. An M-series lens seemed appropriate.

K.
03-30-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #3101
Site Supporter
sandbasser's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Riverside, CA USA
Posts: 142
@womble - Wow, I wish I had friends like that...all mine give me is bad advice.

Last edited by sandbasser; 03-30-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added smiley
03-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #3102
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,238
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
The exception was a genuine Pentax helicoidal extension tube. which I am very pleased about.
A very nice accessory to have, good pickup!

Phil.
04-07-2016, 07:04 PM - 5 Likes   #3103
Senior Member
RR84's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 161
Here are my freshly CLA'd KX & SP. Eric did a great job. Looking forward to putting them into service!



04-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #3104
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,051
@RR84
Lovely!
04-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #3105
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,987
QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Here are my freshly CLA'd KX & SP. Eric did a great job. Looking forward to putting them into service!
Gorgeous indeed!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, chrome, colors, es, f/2.8, film, films, flag, k1000, kx, lens, lever, lexus, light, love, lx, mode, mx, pentax, photo, photography, plate, post, product photography, reunion, shooters, sp, super-takumar, wind
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introduce myself... joostdh Welcomes and Introductions 2 09-07-2010 01:12 AM
Please let me introduce myself........ niklas Welcomes and Introductions 4 05-21-2009 05:04 AM
Pentax will introduce a new camera at PMA... hopey Pentax News and Rumors 72 03-03-2009 05:19 AM
Let me introduce myself here. PentaxUserK100d Welcomes and Introductions 1 02-06-2007 09:11 AM
Let me introduce myself INcreative Welcomes and Introductions 4 12-19-2006 02:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top