Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #3121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K is interesting as the first model to automatically close the aperture, but in a different way than the later models. The lens pin and linkage look the same, but on the K the linkage is operated directly from the shutter button, so it gradually moves out to the lens pin as the button is depressed. The linkage has an adjusting screw you can reach through the mount to match it to your lens so that the aperture trips and closes just before the mirror flips and shutter fires. If not adjusted right, the shutter could fire before the aperture closes. On the K the linkage is hinged at the bottom of the mirror chamber.
By my Heiland H1 they had changed so that the tripped mirror linkage moved the linkage closing the aperture, so that it is more snap-acting, and interlocked so the aperture always closes ahead of the shutter. But on the H1 the aperture linkage is hinged from above,to connect easily to the mirror linkage.
Later models moved the hinge pivot back to the bottom of the mirror chamber, on the sheet metal that holds the lens mount.
I find these signs of mechanical evolution interesting.

04-11-2016, 05:12 PM - 3 Likes   #3122

Speaking of K's, here's my new one I picked up last week with a German zebra.

04-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #3123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My friend Bob Hickey claimed the older models felt smoother because they used brass gears.
Another question for Eric I suppose...

Chris
04-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #3124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My friend Bob Hickey claimed the older models felt smoother because they used brass gears.
Another question for Eric I suppose...

Chris
I was just lamenting that my LX film advance feels like a toy by comparison to my K and SV.

04-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #3125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Speaking of K's, here's my new one I picked up last week with a German zebra.
That is a real beauty!
04-12-2016, 01:07 PM - 3 Likes   #3126
Veteran Member

An impromptu shot of "The Usual Suspects" as it were sitting on the bookshelf. These have been by far the varsity string starter for 35mm shooting the past year.
"I love each of you equally but differently" as grandma always said.

**edit: Hey Colton....
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Hey Kevin you should buy this.....
. I sold that FA24-90mm locally here about 3 weeks ago. Paid for the entire MZ-S kit! Thanks!

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-12-2016 at 03:27 PM.
04-12-2016, 08:16 PM - 4 Likes   #3127

1957 AP with 58/2. Looking forward to running a roll of Ilford through it today.

04-13-2016, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #3128

Photos: Albums
Film Cameras

Hmm, this is a tough one. Among my MZ-S, Z-1, ZX-5, Spotties, and other film and digicams I find myself gravitating more and more to my K1000. It's simplicity, ruggedness and reliability all appeal to me. I've shot all kinds of cameras as have most of you guys, but there is something about this honest workhorse that always seems to make me want to pick it up over the others. I have an assortment of lenses, but my go to's are the 28mm F2, 50mm 1.7, Adaptall 90mm 2.5 macro.

Films:
Portra 160
Portra 400
Ilford B&W
Lomography 800
Superia 200 and 400, generally rated at 125 and 320 respectively.

Viva la film!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-13-2016, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #3129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob TN Quote
Hmm, this is a tough one. Among my MZ-S, Z-1, ZX-5, Spotties, and other film and digicams I find myself gravitating more and more to my K1000. It's simplicity....
Purdy. Sold my K1000 a couple years ago. For me was the opposite - was always picking up the other cameras. When I really feel like "slowing down" I grab a folder, not an SLR, even more recently, so the K1000 was a sad lonely guy. I'm sure he's not anymore. The gal I sold it to locally was a die-hard K1000 user - it was her 3rd. Cool thing is she ALSO bought her first MX from me as sort of an "upsale" after looking at it and hearing me go on about them.

Your shot, purdiness aside, reminds me I need to pick up a new cable release - mine's seen better days. Should get a nice braided version like yours there.
04-13-2016, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #3130

Photos: Albums
Thanks, I love all my cameras. But for some reason really like it. I guess because it is similar to my first camera my dad gave me. His old Yashica FX-2. That old cable release was his. Still going strong. Yeah, when I really want to slow down I pull out the old Graflexes. Haven't shot them in a while though. Sweet with the upsale, nice when that happens!
04-14-2016, 07:20 AM - 6 Likes   #3131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In another Film SLR thread, another Pentaxian introduced their very nice Black SL.
>> Asahi Pentax Spotless (SL) <<

That prompted me to introduce my Black SL, today.
I do not use this SL as a 'shooter' since it is in such nice condition ( I have a silver SV & a silver ES II screw-mount Pentax I like to shutter-bug about with ).
When this SL arrived from Japan, I was glad to see the clip-on flash shoe had not dinged up the penta-prism which is common.
The photos below are from the sales ad.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moe49; 04-14-2016 at 11:22 AM.
04-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #3132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
In another Film SLR thread, another Pentaxian introduced their very nice Black SL.
>> Asahi Pentax Spotless (SL) <<

That prompted me to introduce my Black SL, today.
I do not use this SL as a 'shooter' since it is in such nice condition ( I have a silver SV & a silver ES-II screw-mount Pentax I like to shutter-bug about with ).
When this SL arrived from Japan, I was glad to see the clip-on flash shoe had not dinged up the penta-prism which is common.
The photos below are from the sales ad.
Beautiful camera!
04-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #3133
Veteran Member

^ Nice camera!
04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #3134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, yes. One for the display case! Very pretty.
04-15-2016, 03:42 AM   #3135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The K is interesting as the first model to automatically close the aperture, but in a different way than the later models. The lens pin and linkage look the same, but on the K the linkage is operated directly from the shutter button, so it gradually moves out to the lens pin as the button is depressed. The linkage has an adjusting screw you can reach through the mount to match it to your lens so that the aperture trips and closes just before the mirror flips and shutter fires. If not adjusted right, the shutter could fire before the aperture closes. On the K the linkage is hinged at the bottom of the mirror chamber.
By my Heiland H1 they had changed so that the tripped mirror linkage moved the linkage closing the aperture, so that it is more snap-acting, and interlocked so the aperture always closes ahead of the shutter. But on the H1 the aperture linkage is hinged from above,to connect easily to the mirror linkage.
Later models moved the hinge pivot back to the bottom of the mirror chamber, on the sheet metal that holds the lens mount.
I find these signs of mechanical evolution interesting.
Comparing the mechanisim on the K with the following S2, S3 and S1 the change seems to have come with the S3 model. The S2 early version shares the mechanisme with the K.