Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #3196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The first and last film camera I used was a manual slr in my late teens. So it's pretty cool to load some film first time in 10 years! Just got this body-only, need to see how photos will turn out and if anything needs to be fixed / calibrated, but it seems to work fine.

Anyone knows when was the super program discontinued? I only know it was launched in 83. Or how to establish the date of manufacture using the serial number?
Nice, you will need to get a SUPER A now, so you can have a matching one in black!

Phil.

06-30-2016, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #3197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
But being able to use lenses 30 years newer than the camera seems even more impressive to me, especially given the many tech advances that happened in this time!
Pentax have been very faithful in keeping their lens/body aperture communications protocols consistent across time. It doesn't always work - pre-FA (or is it just the MF?) zoom lenses do not report their focal length, so non-constant-aperture zooms consequently don't report their f-stops properly, and f/1.8 lenses will sometimes report as f/1.7 - but overall we've got a pretty good deal over the years.
06-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #3198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Hrm . . . well, since I own an LX now, I guess this is something I should check into. I wouldn't mind owning a wooden grip for my LX, also.
Did you fix your LX in the end? I remember I visited a japanese website with the detailed drawings that explained how to make the metal plate as well, including screws.

LX grips have always been expensive, or so it appears.
06-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #3199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an uncut Grip A B if you are interested in carving your own.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-01-2016 at 09:12 AM.
07-01-2016, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #3200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Did you fix your LX in the end? I remember I visited a japanese website with the detailed drawings that explained how to make the metal plate as well, including screws.

LX grips have always been expensive, or so it appears.

Yeah, I ended up taking my LX to a local camera repair place. They've been around forever and do a lot of work for local professionals. They did a CLA and fixed the focusing problem/sticky mirror for $80. An outstanding deal, I think.

I agree about the LX grips. Only ones I've found have been really expensive. Monochrome, I'm interested in carving my own, but I'd like to see if I could do it from scratch, rather than trimming a Grip A. Besides, to me the Grip A is too narrow. I was thinking of something wider and then cutting a notch into it to give the self-timer the clearance it would need. I found this pic after doing a google search. I don't think this is a Pentax grip, but it's close to what I have in mind. Besides, my LX is mounted to a LX Winder, and I kinda like the way this grip has been sculpted into it.

07-01-2016, 04:15 AM   #3201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I ended up taking my LX to a local camera repair place. They've been around forever and do a lot of work for local professionals. They did a CLA and fixed the focusing problem/sticky mirror for $80. An outstanding deal, I think.

I agree about the LX grips. Only ones I've found have been really expensive. Monochrome, I'm interested in carving my own, but I'd like to see if I could do it from scratch, rather than trimming a Grip A. Besides, to me the Grip A is too narrow. I was thinking of something wider and then cutting a notch into it to give the self-timer the clearance it would need. I found this pic after doing a google search. I don't think this is a Pentax grip, but it's close to what I have in mind. Besides, my LX is mounted to a LX Winder, and I kinda like the way this grip has been sculpted into it.
I think that is the grip B, in fake wood:

It's longer than the A and meant to be used and sculpted for the winder, but still I would prefer a grip or real wood that gets down to the base of the winder.

I would also like to modify a LX case to get the grip outside the leather, that would be cool!
07-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #3202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty Neat! You would do the lug notch in two steps with two router bits?

Last edited by monochrome; 07-01-2016 at 09:14 AM.
07-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #3203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that is the grip B, in fake wood.
Yes. For some reason I get A and B confused.

OTOH I'm seriously trying to tame this camera and accessory buying fetish and use what I have. Right now my LX has the strap attached the traditional way and no Grip. As of a few minutes ago it has TMAX .
07-01-2016, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #3204
Forum Member

My Asahi Pentax SV with Super Takumar 50 f1.4 lens.

---------- Post added 07-01-16 at 10:57 AM ----------

My black SV
07-01-2016, 05:04 PM - 4 Likes   #3205

'Asahi' Pentax

07-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #3206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wbsmith200 Quote

My Asahi Pentax SV with Super Takumar 50 f1.4 lens.

---------- Post added 07-01-16 at 10:57 AM ----------

My black SV
I know it's just an optical illusion, but the black one actually appears smaller. Come to think of it, I sometimes feel like I must have the smallest set of male hands on this forum except possibly @bertwert because lenses and cameras that look minuscule when being held up in people's Marketplace ads or brag threads suddenly take on a completely new aspect when they eventually arrive in a box on my desk, LOL.

I've got an H1a en route; doubtless my curiosity as to the true size and heft of this series when compared to their successors will be satisfied shortly.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 22:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
'Asahi' Pentax
I'll drink to that.
07-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #3207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@pathdoc It will be heavier, smaller and smoother than you imagined.
07-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #3208
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Film Ricohs are also valid?

I finally find one of these:
Looks like you got your XR-2s. I have enjoyed owning mine and look forward to your comments.

Steve
07-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #3209
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Isn't the rule "Red R (in the rewind knob) for good, green R for bad"? Counterintuitive, but I view it as "The Super Tak 50/1.4 has thoriated glass, and greenies hate all things nuclear."
It makes sense only in that red had not been used up until that time. The color key is unique to the SV and S1A. The 8-element lens was released two years after the S3 went out of production and two years after the SV was released. Strangely, the Spotmatic has always been green even though its launch was coincident with the 8-element lens.

Steve
07-01-2016, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #3210
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Ricoh: Honorary Pentax SLR since 2011.

Actually, the announcement of Ricoh's purchase was reported at dpreview on July 1 of that year... we're coming up on the 5th Ricohversary this year! Ricoh buys Pentax to build interchangeable lens camera business: Digital Photography Review
I got to Pentax via Ricoh, My first camera was a Sears KS Super, (XR-6) and it was replaced by a KR-30sp. When it died a salt water death it was replaced by a P30t. I cant decide which of my collection is my favorite, The A-100, Super Program or ME-F, The latter Ricoh's were nice when they were new but havent aged as well. Ricohs were the plain Jane K-mount while the Pentax's were like sports cars, sleak and pretty.

So I am one of the few on here that actually appreciates the Ricoh pin and dosnt dispise it, and am always happy to find a 3rd party KR mount lens with the (A)P symbol and its Ricoh pin nest to Pentax contacts. Just have to remember not to mount it to my K-50 or ZX-7
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo