Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #3211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not despise the Pin, but both my lenses which have it are OEM Rikenon P with the rounded end, so I am not afraid to put them on my K-5. My one Ricoh body is an XR-1, though, and I currently have no plans to accumulate others. I need to find loving homes for my Spotmatic SP bodies hefore I buy any more film cameras.

07-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #3212
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I know how that is, I just started accumulating M42 bodies and am awaiting the return of my "new" SP F from Eric.

As of now I have 10 Ricohs, 17 Pentaxes, 5 Sears, and 4 Chinons in K mount, and 3 Pentaxes, and one each of the others in M42. Along with a few Minoltas and Canons. I only need a KM, KX, and LX to complete the Pentax K-mount collection.
07-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #3213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pretty Neat! You would do the lug notch in two steps with two router bits?
Actually, for something like this, rather than mess with a router, I would just do it all by hand. I have rasps and files that would make short work of this small project. I carve entire guitar necks by hand, so this is nothing for me.

Cuthbert, after looking at your photo, I think you're right. I wasn't aware that the Grip B was oversize. I'd still rather make something out of wood, though. I have some nice Indian rosewood here that would work well for this sort of project.
07-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #3214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Yeah, I ended up taking my LX to a local camera repair place. They've been around forever and do a lot of work for local professionals. They did a CLA and fixed the focusing problem/sticky mirror for $80. An outstanding deal, I think.

I agree about the LX grips. Only ones I've found have been really expensive. Monochrome, I'm interested in carving my own, but I'd like to see if I could do it from scratch, rather than trimming a Grip A. Besides, to me the Grip A is too narrow. I was thinking of something wider and then cutting a notch into it to give the self-timer the clearance it would need. I found this pic after doing a google search. I don't think this is a Pentax grip, but it's close to what I have in mind. Besides, my LX is mounted to a LX Winder, and I kinda like the way this grip has been sculpted into it.
I have the pre-formed grip on two of my LXes. The grip in your picture is gorgeous! It must have been hand carved.

07-02-2016, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #3215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always wanted a Grip A for my Pentax LX - carved into a Tiki idol!

Chris
07-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #3216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, for something like this, rather than mess with a router, I would just do it all by hand. I have rasps and files that would make short work of this small project. I carve entire guitar necks by hand, so this is nothing for me.

Cuthbert, after looking at your photo, I think you're right. I wasn't aware that the Grip B was oversize. I'd still rather make something out of wood, though. I have some nice Indian rosewood here that would work well for this sort of project.
Yes the grip B is also supposed to be shaped with files, I also like to carve wood, for instance last year I made this voice flute out of plumwood:

Indian rosewood would be a a possibility, even if IMO the best wood would be Claro Walnut from California, the same used for high end rifles....few months ago I found a japanese website with all the drawings for making a LX grip, even the metallic parts but I can't find it anymore.
07-03-2016, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #3217
Veteran Member

I built a guitar using claro walnut for the back and sides. You can see it here:

Claro would work well, but I don't have any in my inventory. I'd rather use something I have on hand and not have to go out and buy a small piece of semi-exotic hardwood. So, I have mahogany, cherry, Indian rosewood, and maybe some cocobolo to choose from. Cocobolo would be nice, but I don't know if what I have would be thick enough.

---------- Post added 07-03-16 at 05:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I have the pre-formed grip on two of my LXes. The grip in your picture is gorgeous! It must have been hand carved.
Yeah, I'd say that's a safe assumption. And yeah, I like its shape too. The guy did a good job on it.

07-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #3218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I built a guitar using claro walnut for the back and sides. You can see it here:
Nice work on the guitar! I've had a couple sets of claro for years, but never got around to building with it yet. I have used Indian rosewood, mahogany, cocobolo, and koa, but age is slowing me down.
07-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #3219
Pentaxian

Well then you woodworkers need to get cracking and make some LX grips - I would prefer mine in a deep dark glossy red please!
07-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #3220
Veteran Member

Les, bloodwood would probably work well for you.
07-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #3221
Pentaxian

Les, bloodwood would probably work well for you.
Let me know when and how much . . .
07-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #3222
Veteran Member

I'll have to build a couple of prototypes before I'd want to offer any.
07-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #3223
Veteran Member

Thanks, Kevin. You know, I'm pretty handy at carving wood. And I have a pretty good stash of hardwoods also. Padauk, Indian Rosewood, Cherry, Mahogany, and more. I could probably make my own if I could figure out a good way of attaching it. Does Mark design his so that it mounts to a strap lug?
Lost track of this thread. Yup - exactly that. There is a small hex set screw you can see at the bottom of the grip.
07-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #3224
Veteran Member

I'll have to build a couple of prototypes before I'd want to offer any.
Ok that's your mission...go and may the Force be with you!

Perhaps this assistant can help you (K2DMD, K50mm f1.2, green filter and XP2+).
07-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #3225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW the LX2000 grip had a cool extra feature: an extra lug on the grip.
This allowed use of both the grip AND neck strap in the proper place...

Chris