Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 02:50 AM   #376
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
After the Black Lizard LX, I also replaced the skin on my second LX with another sking from cameraleather.com

These skins are just so nice.

Cheers,

Luc


Let's just hope the poor lizard died a natural death first rather than being killed just to end up having his skin adorning a camera

11-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #377
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote


Let's just hope the poor lizard died a natural death first rather than being killed just to end up having his skin adorning a camera
maybe they can sign and agreement with the State of Florida to harvest all those damn pythons in the Everglades. They are not native there and are causing problems.
11-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #378
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,215
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote


Let's just hope the poor lizard died a natural death first rather than being killed just to end up having his skin adorning a camera
Yeah, I expect that the camera skin guys hang around the lizard old-folks home waiting for one to die of old age. They might also work exclusively from road kill. Of course, they might also just pick the skins up from the local lizard butcher or oriental apothecary as by products of those trades.

Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but animal-based products are a fact of human culture on most of the globe and most people have no problem with purchase or use. For people that have an aversion to this trade, the best solution is to avoid purchase and use of the products.

Steve
11-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #379
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
maybe they can sign and agreement with the State of Florida to harvest all those damn pythons in the Everglades. They are not native there and are causing problems.
Yes but that is only for Medium format kit. Way too big for 35mm...

That said, I am pretty sure that the skins come from by-product of the shoe/handbag industry, not to mention that in certain part of the World reptiles are included in the diet. It would not be commercially viable to harvest wild animals for film photography!

So in Florida you can have Alligator meat but python would be a must to help get rid of the damn monsters.

Luc.

11-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #380
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Yes but that is only for Medium format kit. Way too big for 35mm...

That said, I am pretty sure that the skins come from by-product of the shoe/handbag industry, not to mention that in certain part of the World reptiles are included in the diet. It would not be commercially viable to harvest wild animals for film photography!

So in Florida you can have Alligator meat but python would be a must to help get rid of the damn monsters.

Luc.
We have an alligator season for hunting to help keep the populations under control. The get eaten and made into leather. As a matter of fact, there is going to be a Seminole feast on 'Gators at the swamp this weekend.

Edit: There are some other "exotic" lizards loose in Florida as well.
11-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #381
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
We have an alligator season for hunting to help keep the populations under control. The get eaten and made into leather. As a matter of fact, there is going to be a Seminole feast on 'Gators at the swamp this weekend.

Edit: There are some other "exotic" lizards loose in Florida as well.
Right - Monitor lizards - another nasty beast not exactly from the neighborhood.
Now that would be a dull but very strong skin...
Alligator is quite good, nothing extraordinary but quite good.

Luc
11-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #382
Forum Member
mikengstrom's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 58
My latest bout of CBA/LBA

Not a super cheap score, worked out at about $55NZD for each one



Black ME in great condtion, still has protective sticker on the base plate. Light seals had turned to goo but I have now replaced them.

M28 f2.8, M50 f1.7 and M100 f2.8 all in very nice condition.

I'm continually suprised by the fact that there are still cameras of this age out there in such great condition. I now have 2 next to new ME's
11-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #383
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
Not a super cheap score, worked out at about $55NZD for each one


Black ME in great condtion, still has protective sticker on the base plate. Light seals had turned to goo but I have now replaced them.

M28 f2.8, M50 f1.7 and M100 f2.8 all in very nice condition.

I'm continually suprised by the fact that there are still cameras of this age out there in such great condition. I now have 2 next to new ME's
I recently bought an ME from a forum member and think it's a great little camera - it handles really well - I love it. I keep it in my backpack as my "go with me to every client" camera.

That black one is rather tasty

11-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #384
Forum Member
mikengstrom's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 58
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I recently bought an ME from a forum member and think it's a great little camera - it handles really well - I love it. I keep it in my backpack as my "go with me to every client" camera.

That black one is rather tasty
Yeah the black ones are quite nice. Kinda makes me want to get a Black ME Super too. I've had an ME Super since about 1989 it was my first SLR, I inherited mine from my uncle when he sadly passed away. So the ME Super I suppose has a some what sentimental value to me. That and it is also a great little camera. Pentax were also good enough to put my initials on it. The 2 ME's I've picked up recently have come in deals that included lenses that I was after.
11-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #385
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Langley, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 461
Glad you're happy with it! Sorry it wasn't black...

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I recently bought an ME from a forum member and think it's a great little camera - it handles really well - I love it. I keep it in my backpack as my "go with me to every client" camera.

That black one is rather tasty
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #386
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Glad you're happy with it! Sorry it wasn't black...

Haha...no worries at all. The ME is a great camera whatever colour it is

But if you ever come across a black one, PM me - I may well be interested
12-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #387
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Here's my LX next to my Bessa R3A and Nikon FE2 (both of which will be on eBay very soon):



View large version on Flickr


Edit: Even though I don't own it any more I guess I should put my first ever SLR from college up here also. Ye ole trusty K1000:



View large version on Flickr

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 12-04-2009 at 06:25 PM.
12-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #388
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,215
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Here's my LX next to my Bessa R3A and Nikon FE2 (both of which will be on eBay very soon)...
I would take the Bessa and/or FE2 off your hands, but I am still without a job (Weeping huge tears!)

Steve
12-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #389
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would take the Bessa and/or FE2 off your hands, but I am still without a job (Weeping huge tears!)

Steve
Don't worry, at the rate I'm going you'll probably find a job before I get them posted on eBay. Despite how often I do it I still can't stand to post things there. I have to be in a self loathing mood to list things there knowing the headache that will follow. But, I'm really starting to want a Pentax PZ-1P and possibly a Pentax 645N...and wouldn't ya know it...I can sell my FE2/50mm for about that a PZ-1 goes for and the Bessa R3a + 40mm for the the same thing a 645N goes for...I say its meant to be

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 12-04-2009 at 06:36 PM.
12-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #390
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 140
Can you PM me when you do post them on ebay? What glass is on that r3a?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, chrome, colors, es, f/2.8, film, films, flag, k1000, kx, lens, lever, lexus, light, love, lx, mode, mx, pentax, photo, photography, plate, post, product photography, reunion, shooters, sp, super-takumar, wind
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introduce myself... joostdh Welcomes and Introductions 2 09-07-2010 01:12 AM
Please let me introduce myself........ niklas Welcomes and Introductions 4 05-21-2009 05:04 AM
Pentax will introduce a new camera at PMA... hopey Pentax News and Rumors 72 03-03-2009 05:19 AM
Let me introduce myself here. PentaxUserK100d Welcomes and Introductions 1 02-06-2007 09:11 AM
Let me introduce myself INcreative Welcomes and Introductions 4 12-19-2006 02:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top