Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #466
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here's a black "late" SV with my spare 'Zebra' on it.

This is the Chrome ES that some people think doesn't exist.

Here's a shot of some of my pre-Spotmatic m42 SLR cameras.

Now that is a collection!

01-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #467
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frink Quote
A few new ones came in...
A few new ones?? Lucky you They all look quite nice, I think I like the spotty the most. I love viewing this thread just for the pictures of the pretty cameras...
01-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #468
Veteran Member

1958 Asahi Pentax "S"

This is a 1958 Asahi Pentax "S."

Rarest of the production models with something around 4400 units made. This model followed the original AP, and featured a more standard shutter speed progression. Whereas the original AP had 1/50th, 1/100th, 1/200th and 1/500th, the "S" had a more familiar 1/60th, 1/125th, 1/250th, 1/500th.

This camera was introduced very close to the time that the "K" model was released, and appears to have been the "down-market" alternative to the more featured "K."

It seems that the "S" had two standard lenses - the 55mm f/2.2 Takumar, and the 55mm f/1.8 Takumar. The latter is very rare and I have only ever seen one on eBay for sale. It seems to have been the preset predecessor to the beautiful Auto-Takumar 55mm f/1.8 "Zebra" that came standard with the "K."

The 55mm f/2,2 that came standard with the "S" was essentially the same lens as the 55mm f/2.2 that had been one of the standard lenses for the Original AP. However, there was apparently a difference. On the AP, the distance scale was marked in feet only. (There may also have been a Meter only scale as well. This was so on other standard lenses. If there was, I have never seen one of these.) For the "S" apparently a dual feet and meter scale was added to the lens.

The photograph below shows both of these lenses.

On the left is the later lens with feet and meters marked on the distance scale. On the right is the earlier lens with feet only. Some sources state that the feet only scale is rarer. I am not certain of this, as if the feet/meter scale was created for the "S," you would expect that there might be fewer of that version. I need further clarification of this point. In any event, it does seem clear that the dual scale model is a better fit for this body. Body and lens serial numbers ran relatively close in the early days and this body is serial number 155691 while the lens serial number is 155040 - an exceedingly good match.
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #469
Site Supporter

The S draws a crowd on ebay! My first goal is to land a preset 55 or 58 without trading a kidney! The various versions of the Asahiflex and Tower siblings have been drawing crowds as well. That's why I decided to make to with a Contax and Praktiflex FX. Even a working Contax S goes for far less than a Pentax S.

01-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #470
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Now that is a collection!
Thanks! The cool thing is that they all work except for the Praktiflex that seems to have a stuck shutter release.
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #471
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
This is a 1958 Asahi Pentax "S."

Rarest of the production models with something around 4400 units made.
*snip*
Wow, that "S" looks like it's almost brand new, very very nice.

cheers,
01-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #472

My "remaining" Pentax (35mm film SLR) bodies are:
a P30T bought NEW (shown with a Ricoh screw mount AUTO RIKENON f1.4 55mm)
a K1000 SE bought NEW (shown with a Pentax f1.2 50mm that came with my K2)
and a used, damaged, but "very functional" K2 that was given to me along with 3 Pentax lenses and "several" accessories
the 3 Pentax lenses are shown with all 3 bodies in the 4th image: an f4.5 85mm~210mm ZOOM, an f1.2 50mm, and an f4.0 20mm
My first Pentax was a Spotmatic bought NEW in 1965 so I've "been with Pentax" for a while... yet I have no "favorite" though if I were to have one, it would probably be the LX. Of my "current 3", the K2 is by far the oldest, yet the most versatile.
...Normpixel...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix Z5fd  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix Z5fd  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix Z5fd  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix Z5fd  Photo 

Last edited by Normpixel; 01-22-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add text and images
01-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #473
Site Supporter

Woof, I was looking at some serial # from K and S bodies and it seems that there is some overlap with the 2 but the earlier S numbers are substantially lower than the lowest K numbers. However, I only have about 5 S numbers to compare.

Edit: BTW, who snagged that black H2 off ebay with matching lens? :bigthumbsup:

01-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #474
Veteran Member

Woof, I was looking at some serial # from K and S bodies and it seems that there is some overlap with the 2 but the earlier S numbers are substantially lower than the lowest K numbers. However, I only have about 5 S numbers to compare.
Interesting. I never knew that the serials overlapped, though it makes sense. The "K" came to market a month or so after the "S." They must have drawn from a common pool of serial numbers.

Edit: BTW, who snagged that black H2 off ebay with matching lens? :bigthumbsup:
It sat there for too long. I love the H2 and H3 models and it came with that lovely zebra lens. After selling the "K" I was missing that glass. Given what that lens is worth, frankly the body was a steal. It has hardly a mark on it. Even the bottom is basically perfect. This is a case of taking a slight chance and having it work out. The pictures did not do it justice. I should not have purchased it though and given muy current situation, it sadly means the "S" is going to be sold. So it was a mixed blessing...

My first goal is to land a preset 55 or 58 without trading a kidney!
I sold a 58mm recently for $250.00. I might have gotten more, but I paid very little for it initially and it went to serious collector. They can be found. Keep your eyes peeled.

Given that the AP's are going relatively cheaply, I would think a 55 2.2 preset could be had for very little. The issue apparently is that the correct 55mm is the one with feet and meters marked on the scale.

That is unless you are looking for the 55 1.8 preset in which case, that likely will be expensive. I have only ever seen one on eBay. I don't recall what the final price was... I do recall that before that I sort of felt that they were more myth than real.

Seaain
01-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #475
Lens Buying Addict

It sat there for too long. I love the H2 and H3 models and it came with that lovely zebra lens. After selling the "K" I was missing that glass.
I thought about it . . . . but since you have it I no longer believe I thought too long.
I should not have purchased it though and given muy current situation, it sadly means the "S" is going to be sold. So it was a mixed blessing...Seaain
There must be something else . . . . :ugh:
01-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #476
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought about it . . . . but since you have it I no longer believe I thought too long.
I don't know what it is with me. I let one go, another one comes along. Sorry about taking that one. I let one get away a couple of years back and just could not resist any longer. The zebra was what clinched it. The guy drove a hard bargain.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There must be something else . . . . :ugh:
I hear you...

Well, spread the wealth I have to say. I really should be down sizing, and in some respects it really does help the breed, if you know what I mean.

The "S" was not working correctly. It is working perfectly now thanks to Eric. On top of that Eric is much more familiar with these cameras now and is feeling very confident about working with them. What's more, I sent him some parts cameras to keep on hand... that will hopefully benefit all of us... Finally, some of the proceeds of the sale of the "S" will go to servicing a beautiful AP that needs a little help. It starts to all look rather viral. Just doing my part to keep the breed going...

And in the end, why should I hoard the good stuff? I have had some really nice cameras and lenses. I feel fortunate to have been able to handle them, and then pass them along to folks who really appreciate them... I have learned a lot.

Do I really need six or eight bodies? Probably not. The "S" will go to someone in our family here. There's also an SV out there, an AP, a "K" and soon the "S." That 58mm too, as well as a number of lenses in very close to perfect condition.

A lot of hopefully happy people whereas otherwise it would just be me without the time or funds to make good use of all of those cameras. It's better this way...

Respectfully,

woof!
01-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #477
Pentaxian

This was my grandfathers 645. My sister has had it in her keeping for a couple of year and she hasn't used it in awhile so I asked her if I could play around with it.
I am in process of shooting my first roll with it and so far like it a lot. It is a much different beast than the 67 I am used to. I like having the auto exposure modes though. I little easier to hand hold too.

Swift1
02-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #478
Site Supporter

My latest ebay purchase, $134 for the 6x7, full functional and the metered prism looks to work!

02-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #479
Veteran Member

Finally got around to shooting my gear. I really wanted to shoot it on film, but my chops aren't quite up to the task yet. Also added an umbrella and mounting bracket and decided it was time to play with wireless flash feature on my K10D. Not quite sure I've wrapped my head around the particulars yet, but had a good time playing with the new gear.

My personal fav...

...and running a close second...

A fairly recent acquisition I couldn't pass up -

It looks good coming and going

Lastly, I bought this ZX-5n from Woof back in July. It's a fabulous camera and I bought it primarily for its matrix metering. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around center-weighted average coming from digital and thought it would be a great solution to my film issues. It produces great images, but somehow I miss focusing manually, advancing the film, and cocking the shutter.

Came into possesion of a Super Program yesterday in incredible shape cosmetically, but unfortunately the mode dial picked the moment it came into my hands to crap out. It's currently on a leave-of-absence to Tennessee to visit Eric and recuperate. Also absent is a Pentax SV that's nursing a "wounded" shutter curtain - I only wanted to include the bodies that I'm actually shooting.

Hope everybody enjoys the pics of my growing Pentax family as much as I enjoy using them and thanks to everyone who has posted their gear previously for the rest of us to enjoy.

Best to all,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 02-05-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Words are important; you should include all the ones you want and need use.
02-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #480
Pentaxian

I'll see your ZX-5n and raise you an MZ-5n with FG grip:

One of Canada's largest photo chains has been running a clearance sale at their used/ clearance store. Most of the lenses worth owning are still priced somewhere between high and absurd, but film bodies and accessories were dirt cheap ($20/ body or 3 for $55, beat up kit lenses at $10, etc.). I spotted this body in a sea of plastic Canons and Nikons (with the odd Minolta and SF series Pentax mixed in). I would have picked up a Super Program too but the available specimens were in pretty ugly condition.

The grip was the price of a CR2 at the main store because it was non functional despite the condition being given as 8.5/10 - after stripping it apart at home and cleaning the contacts it's running fine now.

I still need to run a test roll of film through the camera but so far it seems functional. The one deal I'll be kicking myself over skipping if I ever buy an MZ-S was an open box grip marked down to $40 from $300, but with no way of testing it I wasn't willing to take a chance.