Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #481
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll see your MZ-5n with FG and raise you a MZ-3 with FG. (Sorry, couldn't resist. )

02-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #482
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blue and Steinbeck, I've got the FG grip, too. Kicking myself for neglecting to put in on before taking the pic. Guess I'll have to lose this "hand" <g>.

Do you guys shoot these cams much or do you, like me, find yourself reaching for the MF bodies more often?

Best to you both,
Kevin
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #483
Site Supporter

KJon,

When I shoot an event where I have to get shots, I use my K20d, K200d, and the MZ-3. I use it for ~50% of my 35mm film shooting since I got it. It pretty much dethroned my only other af film camera, a Canon EOS 10S. However, I prefer to shoot with my K2 or SuperProgram as well as my SV and Spot F although the K is my favorite m42. The tiffen filter in the above filter is on there as a "shoot through" lens cap. It is no longer on there since it got shattered on an outing last fall. It saved the lens though. I only use protective filters in situations where I need the protection for the lens.
02-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #484
Veteran Member

Blue, had a Rebel 2000 to shoot with that was on loan from a friend and it couldn't hold a candle to my ZX-5n. Ran a roll of Velvia 50 through it and was reallly disappointed with the IQ - may have had something to do with my feeling my way along the edges with the camera as I was unfamiliar with it or maybe the marginal consumer zoom on it. It may have done better with some higher quality glass, but if your EOS 10s is a similar shooting experience, I can see why you'd leave it on the shelf.

I think I mentioned in my earlier post that I had purchased the ZX-5n primarily for its matrix metering, but I think ultimately it's redeeming feature is going to be the TTL flash compatibility. I haven't done a lot of flash photography in either digital or on film, but I'm starting to play with my Metz 48 and Metz 58 on film a little bit and I'm looking forward to doing some heavy experimenting with the ZX-5n (and a Super Program I just bought that's currently visiting Eric for some work on the mode dial).

Thanks for the quick (and honest response),
Kevin

P. S. When I gotta haveta musta get the shot, I'm using my K10D and K100D, too. Still not comfortable enough with film to trust in my Kung Fu to get things right - still need the digital crutch, but I'd like to think I'm getting better on film.

02-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #485
Site Supporter

I only have 2 canon lenses. I have an FD 50mm macro and the ef 50mm macro. I have an authentic EOS adaptall-2 adapter. This was one of the better bodies from the 90s in my opinion. The 1, A2, & 10s in that order. The 10s has some nice features and does good. That said, they feel cheap compared to any of my Pentax bodies.
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #486
Veteran Member

I have an FD50 f1.8 that came on a Canon AE-1 I just picked up a couple weeks ago. I've only shot one roll of expired film through it, but I enjoyed the performance of the lens. I mentioned to Javier (who shoots with the AE-1 from time to time ) that I'm not ready to give up my ME Super for it <g>. AE-1 package was kind of a nice deal from Craigslist - body, FD50 1.8, Tokina 28-80 2.8 and a Star D 80-210 (and a Sunpkk 422D flash) for a whopping $50. I'm running a fresh roll of Ultramax through it now with the Tokina mounted to see what it looks like.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. I'm liking the AE-1 more than that Rebel 2000.

Last edited by KJon; 02-08-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Add P. S.
02-09-2010, 03:00 AM   #487
Veteran Member

Yes, the MZ-3 was a good way to top the MZ-5n. I picked mine up on Saturday afternoon and with the battery grip non-functional I wasn't able to test it or take any pictures on the way home - $25 for a pair of CR2s would have been more than I paid for the body. I actually went to the sale hoping to find a Super Program but the 2 bodies in stock were both badly brassed and had a significant amount of rust on their steel parts. I really don't know how much I'll end up using the MZ-5n but I wanted something that I could use with DA lenses in at least Tv and program mode. The ability to use screwdrive AF is a bonus.
02-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #488
Inactive Account

Mine also has an FG grip, but I removed it for this pic.

Wonderful little camera, the MZ-5N.

02-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #489
Veteran Member

I suppose this goes here...

02-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #490
Veteran Member

Haha, the contrast between the neat little MZ-5n and the black Spotty with bellows is pretty extreme. For some reason it makes me think of some sort of monster... :P

p.s. I would really like a black Spotmatic, I am trying to discipline myself to not get one just yet...
02-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #491
Veteran Member

The shots with that lens on a K100d have been surprising in how little they differ from any modern lens. Not at all in sharpness for example.

When I got my FA35 (which I have now sold) I thought it didn't feel and look as bad as I feared for a plastic lens, but the weird thing is I can't find any Pentax body the FA & F series lenses look good on. They don't seem to be designed for any specific body.
02-17-2010, 04:20 AM   #492

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
The shots with that lens on a K100d have been surprising in how little they differ from any modern lens. Not at all in sharpness for example.

When I got my FA35 (which I have now sold) I thought it didn't feel and look as bad as I feared for a plastic lens, but the weird thing is I can't find any Pentax body the FA & F series lenses look good on. They don't seem to be designed for any specific body.
I like the looks of F lenses on the SF-1n, and FA lenses on the PZ-1. I have to assume they were desgned for each other as these are the cameras they were released with. FWIW.
02-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #493
Veteran Member

Dang, I must've been looking at too new bodies. They didn't seem to match.
02-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #494
Veteran Member

Damn you bastids

You got me surfing ebay to buy a stinking film camera body now. I need a new one of those like a need a hole in my head!

GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH !

(And my wife is gonna kill me !)
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #495
Veteran Member

Sameagle, welcome to our nightmare <g>.

Happy Hunting,
Kevin