Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #556
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
What lens is on the Praktiflex? That looks interesting. M42 mount, you say?
That is a late 1940s era Victar 5cm (50mm) f2.9 triplet type lens and it is m42. Praktica started using the m42. This mount was developed by Carl Zeiss Jena in 1938 at the request of Kamera Werks to relace the m40 mounts on the Praktica line which due to the war was help up for a while. The Contax S used this amount in addition to a permanently mount pentaprism. The one for my Praktiflex is removable and is a little goofy looking (). Anyway, the East Germans weren't supposed to be using the Ziess name but the did on the first couple of pentaprism models, the S and D. They used Pentacon name and a few others on the export versions like Pentacon D and F as well as some 3rd party names. WWII made a mess out of keeping track of camera history since Zeiss and affiliates had firms all over Germany as well as other companies. The Asahiflex was the first to have an automatic return mirror. The Pentax 'AP' was the first to combine a instant return mirror, fixed Pentaprism and m42 mount in the same body. Nearly all of the Asahiflex bodies are m37 except for a few of the last ones made in 1957 that actually had m42 since Pentax was gearing up for m42 and started out with some of their Asahi Kogaku lenses reworked for m42 mount.

04-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #557
Banned

I lost an auction for an asahiflex yesterday. =(
04-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #558
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I lost an auction for an asahiflex yesterday. =(
I saw the one you are talking about. It was in nice condition. I got lucky on mine. I was bidding on Asahiflex bodies in a perfunctory manner figuring to get out bid. One day everyone seemed to go to sleep at the end. I would have preferred to get the IIB but my main criteria was the 58mm lens and working condition. I blew a chance to get the m42 mount version about 2 years ago. I held out hoping to run into another by a used dealer or bay but came to the conclusion that it wasn't happening. I was hoping to avoid a m37 LBA situation.
04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #559
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I saw the one you are talking about. It was in nice condition. I got lucky on mine. I was bidding on Asahiflex bodies in a perfunctory manner figuring to get out bid. One day everyone seemed to go to sleep at the end. I would have preferred to get the IIB but my main criteria was the 58mm lens and working condition. I blew a chance to get the m42 mount version about 2 years ago. I held out hoping to run into another by a used dealer or bay but came to the conclusion that it wasn't happening. I was hoping to avoid a m37 LBA situation.
I hope to avoid that as well, but since I own an original Asahi mount adapter, I fear that will be impossible. by the way, on an actual m42 pentax body, the original adapter retains infinity focus. its been common belief that it doesnt but it does. just not with a kmount adapter.

04-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #560
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That is a late 1940s era Victar 5cm (50mm) f2.9 triplet type lens and it is m42. Praktica started using the m42. This mount was developed by Carl Zeiss Jena in 1938 at the request of Kamera Werks to relace the m40 mounts on the Praktica line which due to the war was help up for a while. The Contax S used this amount in addition to a permanently mount pentaprism. The one for my Praktiflex is removable and is a little goofy looking (). Anyway, the East Germans weren't supposed to be using the Ziess name but the did on the first couple of pentaprism models, the S and D. They used Pentacon name and a few others on the export versions like Pentacon D and F as well as some 3rd party names. WWII made a mess out of keeping track of camera history since Zeiss and affiliates had firms all over Germany as well as other companies. The Asahiflex was the first to have an automatic return mirror. The Pentax 'AP' was the first to combine a instant return mirror, fixed Pentaprism and m42 mount in the same body. Nearly all of the Asahiflex bodies are m37 except for a few of the last ones made in 1957 that actually had m42 since Pentax was gearing up for m42 and started out with some of their Asahi Kogaku lenses reworked for m42 mount.
Thanks for the history lesson. For a while, I was checking out FX'x hoping to snag a poorly-described CZJ 58/2. Never happened, so I snagged one here and within 2-weeks it stopped functioning correctly. My luck. It has been relegated to the "to be repaired" project pile. At any rate, I thought that little lens looked interesting and at 50mm, might make an interesting alternative (for someone) for a compact carry kit.

Cheers,

Adam
04-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #561

Finally I was able to find a *ist and grip. I have the strap on the way. Now to get a couple more lenses. I was looking at the 18-35 matching kit lens for it. Want to keep it small for travel.

04-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Valder Quote
Finally I was able to find a *ist and grip. I have the strap on the way. Now to get a couple more lenses. I was looking at the 18-35 matching kit lens for it. Want to keep it small for travel.

Hard to find aren't they? I nearly sold mine to fund a lens, then thought better of it. With the grip and a small zoom, it's awesome.

EDIT: I just got the 18-35 myself and, well, the combo is amazingly small and light. Great street/walkaround combo!

Last edited by unixrevolution; 05-04-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Add a remark
05-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #563
Forum Member

This is my camera collection........

Pentax Program A (only bought on Saturday so not sure if it works fully yet!), Pentax ME Super (Mint!), Pentax Spotmatic F, Nikon EM and Olympus Trip 35. And the K200D so it doesn't feel left out!!

Close view of the Pentax film cameras. I also have a Pentax M 80-200 mm zoom as well as a SMC Takumar 135mm Prime and a couple of other lenses too.

Film is fun, and like a proper hobby too even though I love my K200D!
05-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #564
Veteran Member

I just found this kit at the local Goodwill. The K1000 has a few dings but is mostly in great shape and works great. The M 200/4 is in ex+ cond. and came in the original Pentax hard case.

Swift1
05-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #565
Pentaxian

My trusty 6x7 that I've had for 20 years and shot many a picture with and still do. Shown with a 165mm leaf shutter lens. It's really a scaled up K1000 when it has a TTL meter on it. I shoot mostly with a waist level finder shown in the shot and subsequently use a Pentax Spotmeter V a lot.

05-12-2010, 03:10 AM   #566

edited, i thought my post is not.....

Last edited by jessejoshua; 05-13-2010 at 07:48 AM.
05-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #567
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I just found this kit at the local Goodwill. The K1000 has a few dings but is mostly in great shape and works great. The M 200/4 is in ex+ cond. and came in the original Pentax hard case.

Swift1
I am about to conclude that is the way to buy old Pentax bodies. I see screw mounts in used camera stores and thrift stores for much less than Fleabay.
05-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I am about to conclude that is the way to buy old Pentax bodies. I see screw mounts in used camera stores and thrift stores for much less than Fleabay.
Well, to be fair, I decided to get a K1000 again after I had traded it off years ago for a ME Super from Fleabay and for $20 bucks I got a Asahi K1000 in almost new condition. I would rather be able to hold it in my hands before purchasing it. But for that price I figured I'd take the chance.
05-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #569
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, to be fair, I decided to get a K1000 again after I had traded it off years ago for a ME Super from Fleabay and for $20 bucks I got a Asahi K1000 in almost new condition. I would rather be able to hold it in my hands before purchasing it. But for that price I figured I'd take the chance.
For that price, it is worth it. However, if you have the time to scout garage sales, you may even get a lens or two thrown in for around that price.
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #570

I'm new here so here is my setup:

2x Pentax ME Super
-SMC Pentax Shift 28mm f/3.5
-SMC Pentax-M 40mm f/2.8
-SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7
-Coslinar Auto MC 135mm f/2.8

Pentax Auto 110
18mm f/2.8
24mm f/2.8

For digital shooting I use a Canon 5D. The 28mm shift is mostly used on the canon with an adapter.

I'm a big fan of the ME Super and started a fangroup on flickr for the M-series Pentax with allready 549 members: Flickr: Pentax ME (Super) - more than a photopool!