Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #901
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think someone here's actually worked on one of those, I thin you may be better off with drum sanders and files. It's the kind of thing some gunsmiths,etc, do a lot of, though.
A half inch wood dowel with about 100-200 grit sand paper glued around it
works fine RML, gives a little more control during "machining" process than rotary
tool, touch it up and finish with a finer grit.
would show ya mine if hadnt lost it.

01-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #902
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
A half inch wood dowel with about 100-200 grit sand paper glued around it
works fine RML, gives a little more control during "machining" process than rotary
tool, touch it up and finish with a finer grit.
would show ya mine if hadnt lost it.
That oughtta do it. I tend to prefer not to use power tools most of the time, myself, at least unless I can prevent them from slipping. (You can probably see on the last page where I altered a cheap tripod plate (Stupid proprietary safety lock. Half the point of Arca compatibility is.. compatibility. ) with just a hobby vise, Dremel, and straight file, ...Wasn't a good arthritis time.
01-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #903
Veteran Member

Machinist-gunsmith good friend to have RML, have a tammy adaptall with a
5 gallon bucket for a hood, 2, 2mm thumbscrews secures, very secure,
but the heads are a accident waiting to happen as far as fitting flush, broke both off
at about the speed of light. I could of drilled them out, re-tapped, but sometimes
descretion better part of valor and a scratch free hood. Shopped it around and was
appaled at prices thrown at me, first one of those "M-G" folks asked did it with me
standing there watching... $20. He appreciated the work, I, the craftmanship at
bargin rate price.
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #904
Pentaxian

Hee, Bill. Yeah, friendly machine shops are good. My plan for whenever I have a workshop will be to have some minimal machining tools at least, (Do a bit of custom camera bracketry, is my idea, and some ideas I have for various physical challenges:I have some ideas based on relatively few operations and such. ) Then everyone here'll have a friend in the business. Possibly on a will-work-for photo junk basis, at least for a while. Parts! Inspirations!

Ideally, I'll be able to make friends with some powder-coating outfit or similar: be able to put really good finishes on things.

Aaaannyway. Gotta get there, first.

01-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #905

Here's my Pentax Z-70 that I got last week (shown here with a Sigma 28-80mm lens attached):
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #906
Pentaxian

This is currently the only Pentax I own that gets any use:

I've always had a soft sport for the KX since the first time I used one, back in 1990 or so. Picked this one up off feebay about a year ago.

The next Pentax I hope to get is a 6x7 mlu. Now that's a camera.
01-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #907

hello everyone. i have never had a film camera, since i am a child of the digital age, but i sure would like to try one out. i have several m lenses that would work on film bodies, now the question is: could you recommend one?

i would like to get one, that has a hmm.. dirty look? if you get what i mean? not that look that digital bodies have, but rather a warm dirty look. now i am a complete newbie on this, so maybe i am on the complete wrong direction and should rather concentrate on appropriate film for this look, but maybe some of you guys could give me some tips/hints.

thanks a lot in advance!
01-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #908
Pentaxian

I would recommend finding an old ME Super. They can be had for cheap ($20+) and have lots of great features. Basically an electronic aperture priority camera with a manual mode and a big viewfinder.
If you like pure manual, find an old MX or K1000.
You can also find many of the Ricoh K mount bodies for much less than the Pentax bodies.

For the "warm dirty look" I'm assuming your talking about the photo and not the camera. I would recommend first trying some cheap Fujicolor 200 film and then going from there. Unless you are talking B&W, then I would recommend some Arista 400 or some Kodak BW400CN ( C-41 B&W film)

01-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #909
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I would recommend finding an old ME Super. They can be had for cheap ($20+) and have lots of great features. Basically an electronic aperture priority camera with a manual mode and a big viewfinder.
If you like pure manual, find an old MX or K1000.
You can also find many of the Ricoh K mount bodies for much less than the Pentax bodies.
Good advice there. As a "child of the digital age" you might prefer one of the more modern film cameras with autofocus and other features, but on the other hand, in the Pentax line (and this is true of some other brands as well) the most recent film bodies were not the best built. Plus, a more primitive (features-wise) camera might be a valuable paradigm shift.

Along with the Ricoh K mount bodies, there are good inexpensive ones with Sears and Chinon names on them. Almost any of the Pentax film cameras will fit the bill, but I'll caution away from the ZX/MZ series unless you get some kind of warrantee; there are some design/longevity issues with many of those.

When I rediscovered film, it was by purchases of a Chinon DSL and a Pentax ME Super -- both good cameras, and they were essentially freebies, thrown in when I was buying used prime lenses for a Pentax *istDL digital. I still have the ME Super, just developed a roll from it yesterday..

01-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #910
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There have been a number of lengthy threads on the best body for trying a return to film. This thread was, to my understanding, for showing photos of your film rig. I would suggest a search, and one can find the pros and cons of the film bodies of the various periods.
01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #911
Veteran Member

friends with some powder-coating outfit
RML get going in that direction and you have your first customer waiting in the wings here. Lil' aluminum truss underneath there and 2 more a bit longer.
any color fine, long as its black

Had the body quite awhile, FB-1 & FG-1-new to me. eyerelief cant be understated.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP320  Photo 

Last edited by BillM; 01-19-2011 at 11:39 PM.
01-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #912
Pentaxian

RML get going in that direction and you have your first customer waiting in the wings here. Lil' aluminum truss underneath there and 2 more a bit longer.

Had the body quite awhile, FB-1 & FG-1-new to me. eyerelief cant be understated.
My friend shoots with glasses on, and he swears by the FG-1 sports finder. It's kind of annoying that he only bought an LX for the eye relief

YOu can seriously hold it a few inches in front of you and still see everything. It's like a tiny projection TV.
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #913
Pentaxian

Heehee. Yeah, if I get there, you can describe what you're talking about. .

As for coatings, black's pretty much what I had in mind, likely with some nice wood or stuff at times,

I'm guessing that if I got friendly with a like a custom auto/motorcycle parts shop, that I'd mostly be doing black, and maybe offer a fun grab-bag sort of option of 'Whatever color they're doing today,' keep the price down, maybe. I'm guessing custom choices might bring the price up a lot. But I dunno.

Could be through a gun-smith or whatever I can do, myself, too. I like the powder-coating idea cause it seems to be good at making disparate materials match well, doesn't seem like having someone add in a few pieces of bracketry is much of an eco-dirtiness. You know, we'll see.
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #914

Cameras:
pentax ME super
pentax k1000

wondered: pentax lx

Lenses:
pentax 50mm f/1.4
pentax 85mm f/1.8

film: tmax 400 ,Tri-x, fujifilm
01-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #915
Veteran Member

you can describe what you're talking about
have small aluminum truss underneath rig up there(spans tripod mount of lens to
1/4-20 on body bottom), 6 inches long, 2 1/2 wide and 2 more bit longer for other stuff,
dont like to put a whole lot of stress on lens/body mount and those things do much in terms of stress relief(not the welding term)
cant justify expense of home powder coat sys.Conventional paint, Im not thrilled about,could probably find neighborhood remedy if I would get off my dead end.

bought that body when my eyes were younger, that FB&FG combo really is like
a minie TV, can hold off 4 -6 inches and see split prism, porro, and matte sections
of screen clear as day, tried a buddy's F3HP and just no comparison.