Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #916
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, I see, Bill, you're talking about just getting coatings on those supports you already have... I don't actually know a ton about aluminum, besides tooling on it a little, but I'd almost say 'Anodize it,' depending what you're looking for. (speaking of things I could theoretically do, given suitable facilities, , but haven't looked at for environmental impact)

I'll find at least one way. You might not need me for that, is all.

01-24-2011, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #917
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My turn to 'chime in'

Preface: I am a recreational Shutter-Bug. The cameras I shoot with regularly are with my K2, K1000-SE, ME-SE [hmm... all brown] and my K7 [not pictured]. The rest of the cameras I own are 'collectables' to me, or I found in a basket abandoned on my doorstep with an attached note, "please adopt me".

M-Bodies
The ME-SE I bought for my own use last summer. It came with recent CLA paper work. My most common shooting mode is 'Aperture Priority' and this camera is ideal for that. The M-series cameras are a bit small in my hands, so I like to shoot them with the ME/MX winder/grips attached.

The MX was an 'impulse buy' [I admit it]. I raced Moto-Cross [MX for short] for years and just could not resist having a 'Moto-Cross' theme'd Pentax. That's me in the avatar over there on the left. I found this black MX locally and though it was in really nice shape cosmetically, functionally it was a paper weight. So off to Eric in Tenn. it went for repairs and CLA. It returned looking and working beautifully.

The really nice ME-Super came knocking on my office door last December. It's previous owner had heard I am a Pentax-nut and inquired if I'd like to have his old Pentax kit [body, winder, 3 lens, TCs, etc.]. Hazard to guess my answer? The previous owner purchased all the gear new from the Air Force PX around 1981. When he returned home to America two years later, he put all of his manual camera gear in a closet, to be forgotten for the next 27 years! I told him what it was all worth, but he didn't care, he gave it all to me anyway.

S-K-P Bodies
The K1000-SE and K2 I also bought for myself last year. I had both CLA'd by Eric in Tenn. straight away too. Then I had the K2 shipped to CameraLeather for a new brown leather coat.

My very first 'serious' camera was a 1977 K1000. Most of my photographic habits were learned on this camera. It was stolen in 1986, much to my misfortune. The replacement K1000 was stolen in 1989! I have always longed for another and finally corrected that. It's great to be shooting with my old friend again.

The K2 is the camera I had often lusted after, but was originally out of my $$$ range. Well that's no longer a problem. This K2 is very quickly becoming my favorite 35mm SLR and would be perfect if I could find a split-image focus screen for it. It almost never gets left behind at the cabin. [update 4/29/11: this K2 now has a 'split' installed. Now it really is perfect!]

The P3n I purchased new in 1989 and it has been an excellent, sturdy and trouble-free performer all these years. I do not understand "why there is no love for the uEd." Oh well, I will always appreciate it's many virtues. Normally there is a Vivitar S1 28-105mm zoom mounted on it, but I dressed it with a smaller Pentax 50mm prime for this group photo.

The Spotmatic SPII just found me a week ago. It was bundled with pristine 28mm and 105mm SMC Takumars I spotted on Craigslist. I bought it from it's original owner and have not yet shot with it. The bundle included a Pentax bellows and slide copier setup, too.

The Black Angus herd:

1965 S1a [red R]. Exc. condition with mint Super-Tak 55mm f/2.0 lens and leather case. The shutter curtains were replaced and the camera CLA’d by Eric in Jan.2012

1973 Spotmatic-F. Another camera found/purchased here at PF (Thanks Hilo!). As you can see in the snapshot, after traveling half way around the world, the Spotmatic-F arrived in exceptional pristine condition.

1975 KX. It has a split-image focus screen installed by Eric while he performed the CLA. After this snapshot was taken, I found in Canada a brand new black top cover, bottom plate and film door for this KX which were installed Summer of 2012. Now this camera looks brand new!

1976 K2. I picked this camera up to harvest it's spilt-image focus screen for my brown K2, but it is in such good condition [functionally & cosmetically] that I am thinking of keeping it! This is silly I know, as I may in the future be looking for another 'donor' K2 with a 'split' to install in this black K2! [I had Eric perform CLA and new light seal surgery 4/11].

1990 LX, later model. This camera arrived in great cosmetic condition, but it soon became apparent it had some functional problems. Sometime in its past it might have been dropped. A mirror in the viewfinder was a touch loose, and Eric found the lens base mis-aligned with the film plane. After some repair surgery, new light seals and a fresh CLA by Eric, this LX is once again performing as it should, exceptionally . Later, right here at PF Marketplace, I found a mint LX winder. And from KEH, a LX leather case.

non Pentaxs
I found the 1968 Yashica right here at PF. It had just been CLA'd by Eric in Tenn. and I thought it would make a nice Christmas gift for a Yashica shooting friend. "Umm, sorry friend, it is just too nice to give away." Yep, that is a Super-Takumar 55mm mounted on it [purchased separately].

The 1932 Kodak Folding Six-20 is another Brown camera I just could not walk away from. It is in superb condition and came with the matching case, original box and manual.

The 1930 Kodak Beau Brownie No.2 belonged to my GrandMother. I believe it might have been a Christmas present for her when she was a teenager. It was still part of my GrandFather's estate, and I am thrilled to now have something she once prized. Poking about the internet I have learned that the 'rose-colored' Beau Brownies were in production for only 2-3 months. Original list price = $4.25 [plug that value into an inflation calculator and you will be shocked!].

The Minolta belonged to my GrandFather. Hopefully, some of the photos it produced will find their way to me someday, too.

other cameras[not pictured]

1955 Asahiflex IIa. Excellent condition, fully functional, with correct 58mm f/2.4 lens. Found on Craigslist August 2012 for only $225! The shutter curtains look to be nearly new.

1956 Asahiflex IIa. Mint condition, fully functional w/original leather case, manual, packaging and 58mm f/2.4 lens. Found on eBay August 2012.

1957 Pentax AP. Excellent condition [thanks Mighty Mike!]. The AP is currently getting Eric's attention to look into the slow shutter speeds and fresh CLA. I also found/purchased the correct lens for it, a Takumar preset 55mm f/2.2 [thanks PacificRimCamera!]. I am also on the look out for a black Pentax AP with all black lens. Did you see the mint one that sold for $1450?

1958 Pentax K [chrome]. Purchased right here at PF July 2012 (Thanks Steve! The reason for his sale to me is on page 72). This K is in excellent condition with the correct zebra lens (Auto-Takumar 55mm f/1.8) and leather case.

1963 Pentax SV [black, grn R] The Beatles camera. Exc. condition w/original packaging and leather case.

1963 Kowa Flex - E, w/original packaging and hard leather case. This is a kool, "before it's time?" 35mm camera. It has a sellineum cell powered internal light meter (still works!), and a split image focus screen.

1965 Pentax SV [chrome, red R]. Beautiful condition purchased here at PF, Thanks Colton! I had it CLA'd by Eric soon after purchase.

1965 S1a [chrome, red R]. Mint condition with mint Super-Tak 55mm f/2.0 lens and leather case. Another camera I found here at PF (Thanks Brian!). After I bought the set, I sent the camera to Eric for new light seals and CLA.

1974 ESII [chrome]. Excellent condition and came with SMC Takumar 35mm, leather case and leather camera bag. I had it CLA'd by Eric in November 2012.

1974 ESII [chrome]. Another one. This one in near mint condition, but had mirror stuck when I bought it. So, I had it CLA'd by Eric in November 2012, too.

1974 ESII [black] Motor Drive model. Also have the black Motor Drive and battery grip.

1981 Pentax MEF [chrome] with AF 35-70mm f/2.8 lens. Bought here at PF marketplace. [Turned out to be a dud, a paper-weight, non-functional and non-repairable according to Eric. So I bought another one June 2012 also from PF marketplace, pre-tested! Thanks Steve!]

1981 Pentax MEF [black]. Found on eBay in 2012. Near pristine and functions perfectly, including auto-focus duties. I have a brand new black top for it I found in Italy, which I will have installed soon.

2002 Pentax IQzoom 145M Super. This is another Pentax that came knocking on my office door last year. It's original owner said she recieved it new for Christmas, and maybe only shot 2-3 rolls with it. It came with all it's boxes and manuals, and doesn't have a scratch on it. I put a new battery in it and it perked right up.

1972 Great Wall SZ-1 [Chinese 35mm Rangefinder]. I bought it from a Lady in SanFrancisco who's family bought it new in Bejing, China. She claims the camera was never used and spent the last 39 years in a dresser drawer. I'm inclined to believe her, the camera truely looks brand new.

1929 Kodak Pocket Junior No.1A [green]. This is a pretty large folding camera, the 'pocket' would have to be a large coat pocket. These came in one of four colors; green, blue, brown, or black.

1949 Kodak Target Six-20 Brownie. Another camera I found locally. It is in excellent condition, one of the best I've ever seen. The viewfinders are bright and clear and there is no corrosion at all. Incredibly, it has it's original leather strap in supple un-torn condition.

1949 Kodak Retina I [German made 35mm Folding]. Schneider Xenar 50mm lens. Another camera I bought from the lady in San Francisco. I believe the Retina I is the 1st camera to use 135mm film cartridges, allowing us to load/unload film in broad daylight for the first time.

1933 Leica IId 'copy' with Leitz Elmar 50mm lens. I think these are the Leicas made in Russia after WWII. It seems the Nazis bombed the snot out of Russian manufacturing during the war, so Stalin extracted a bit of revenge after WWII by looting German factories, including the Leitz factory in Wetzlar, and started making Leicas in what eventually became the Zorki factory. I think these cameras evolved into Zorki-1s. Comparing this camera side-by-side with a Zorki-1, you will see they are identical except for the stamped label on the top cover, and the Zorki's Industar lens.

1980[?] Hongmei HM-1 [Chinese medium format folding]. This camera was made in Changzou, China. It looks to be 1940s-1950s era/style. So far, I haven't found much info about it.

1983 Mudan MD-2 [Chinese medium format TLR].

Last edited by Moe49; 05-24-2013 at 10:58 AM.
01-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #918
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice looking lineup Moe, have some of same,what is it about our friend nEd(P3n)
that brings out the beast in people Have a question 'bout your yashica... Heard their
eyepiece for viewfinder was offered with a couple different options regarding diopter
correction,first could be purchased with standard corrective lens,and also available
so that (corrective)lens made by optician to ones precription would drop in,
is there big difference of viewfinder on yashica and pentax "K" and "M" bodies,
can pick up non working yashica here and that ideal sounds interesting if its
close or could be modified easily to fit.
01-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #919
Pentaxian

This my original ME Super bought in 1982 with its original 50mm f/2 lens. Sadly the camera no longer works. The first film I shot with this camera was a roll of Kodachrome 64. This image is from my last ever roll of Kodachrome 64 taken towards the end of November. (I had to get it to Lausanne by the end of the month.) The film was loaded into... another ME Super (although a black one this time).

Best wishes, Kris.

01-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
My turn to 'chime in'

M-Body fleet.
The ME-SE I bought for myself recently. It came with recent CLA paper work. My most common shooting mode is 'Aperture Priority' and this camera is ideal for that.

The MX, I admit it, was an 'impulse buy'. I raced Moto-Cross [MX for short] for years and just could not resist having a 'Moto-Cross' theme'd camera. I got this black MX locally and though it was in really nice shape cosmetically, functionally it was a paper weight. So off to Eric_H in Tenn. it went for repairs and CLA. It returned looking and working beautifully.

The really nice ME-Super came attached to a few pristine primes I coveted and has henceforth joined the stable. The previous owner purchased it new from the Air Force PX around 1981. When he returned home to America two years later, he put all his manual camera gear in a closet, to be forgotten for the past 27 years!

K-Body fleet [AKA Wide bodies].
The K1000-SE and K2 I also bought for myself recently and I had both CLA'd by Eric_H in Tenn. straight away, too.

My very 1st SLR was a 1977 K1000 and to my misfortune was stolen in 1986. I've always longed for another and finally corrected that. It's great to be shooting with my old friend again.

The K2 is the camera I had always lusted for, but was always out of my $$$ range. Well that's no longer a problem. This K2 is very quickly becoming my favorite 35mm camera and would be perfect if I could find a split-image focus screen for it. It almost never gets left behind in the cabin.

The P3n I purchased new in 1989 and it has been an excellent, sturdy and trouble-free performer all these years. I do not understand "why there is no love for the P3n." Oh well, I will always appreciate it's many virtues.

The Spotmatic II just found me. It was bundled with pristine 28mm and 105mm SMC Takumars I wanted. I bought it from it's original owner and have not yet shot with it. Won't be long though.

Non Pentax film cameras:
I found the Yashica right here at PF. It had just been CLA'd by Eric_H in Tenn. and I thought it would make a nice Christmas gift for a Yashica shooting friend. "Umm, sorry friend, it is just too nice to give away."

The 1932 Kodak Folding Six-20 is another Brown camera I just could not walk away from. It is in superb condition and came with it's matching case, original box and manual.

The 1930 Kodak Beau Brownie No.2 belonged to my GrandMother. I believe it was given to her at Christmas when she was a teenager. It was still in my GrandFather's estate, and I am thrilled to now have something she once prized.

The Minolta belonged to my GrandFather. Hopefully, some of the photos it took will find their way to me someday, too.
Nice collection Moe! Have you looked for a K2DMD, they all came with split-image focus screens?

Phil.
01-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #921
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice collection Moe! Have you looked for a K2DMD, they all came with split-image focus screens?

Phil.
Thank you!
I shopped for DMDs for awhile but have found them to be rarer than and as pricey as LXs, ~$450 and up. That's a bit too much $$$ for me as all I really want out of a K2DMD is it's focus screen. $450 is really steep for a focus screen.

I can't really justify paying ~$450 for a K2DMD, then another $50 in labor+shipping to swap it's split-image screen with the micro-prism dot from my K2. Then there is the added problem of trying to re-sell the K2DMD with the micro-prism dot screen installed. I doubt there would be many buyers out there for a 'split-image-less' K2DMD

My goal is to find a 'non working' K2 with the split-image screen, so I can mine it's split for my brown K2 and also have a 'spare parts' backup

Last edited by Moe49; 02-09-2011 at 08:17 PM.
01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #922
Pentaxian

Yes, your collection looks very nice. If you enjoy your K2, the DMD is not just a focus screen. I've owned both, but there is something else about the DMD, not just the price, that really makes it enjoyable to use.

Of course there are a few extra features like exposure memory too, but I can't quite place my finger on it. Even though it's my heaviest film camera, I take the DMD or the MX with me every time.

01-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #923
Veteran Member

I looked at DMDs for awhile but have found them to be as pricey as LXs, $450 and up. That's a bit too pricey for me as all I really want out of a K2DMD is it's focus screen. $450 is really steep for a focus screen.
Seems that for once something in the UK is cheaper than in the US... Might be worth finding a UK seller happy to ship stateside... Not sure what US customs charges are like though... Might not work out... Sorry... Thinking out loud...
01-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #924
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Seems that for once something in the UK is cheaper than in the US... Might be worth finding a UK seller happy to ship stateside... Not sure what US customs charges are like though... Might not work out... Sorry... Thinking out loud...
Complying with the stereotypical Yorkshireman there David. Not only watching your own pennies, but doing so on behalf of others (A trait I can appreciate being from West Wales, fashionably pre-disposed to have deep pockets and genetically designed to have short arms)

Back 'on topic' - I'm not really qualified to comment, but there are some cracking ' 'collections' of photographic equipment in this thread, not least Moe's above! Having only just started to click away with an older item of kit, I'm not sure I understand why of lot of members here seem to have amassed large quantities of both bodies and lenses . . . . it's seems to work like an addiction and maybe I just haven't caught the bug . . . . . . yet?
01-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #925
Veteran Member

Here is my recently acquired antique camera. It probably came off the assembly line some time between 2003 and 2004, "made in Japan" version, and had brass gear on mirror motor shaft installed in the factory.

Last edited by violini; 11-24-2012 at 07:52 PM.
01-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #926
Veteran Member

Thank you!
I looked at DMDs for awhile but have found them to be as rare and as pricey as LXs, $450 and up. That's a bit too pricey for me as all I really want out of a K2DMD is it's focus screen. $450 is really steep for a focus screen.

I can't justify paying ~$450 for a K2DMD, then another $50 in labor/shipping to swap it's split-image screen with the micro-prism dot from my K2. Then there is the problem of trying to re-sell the K2DMD with the micro-prism dot screen installed. I doubt there would be many buyers out there for a 'split-image-less' K2DMD

My goal is to find a 'parts only' K2 with a split-image screen, so I can mine it's split for my brown K2 and also have a 'spare parts' backup

Well, if circumstances arose, I'd probably be willing to swap, or maybe when the time comes for a real nice mechanical body that's within Eric's abilities, I suppose I wouldn't mind going there: I prefer plain microprisms, all other things being equal, anyway. Don't know how likely that is, but there we are.
01-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #927
Inactive Account

My Second Pentax

An SPII that I recently acquired through eBay. Back in 1971 I bought a black body SPII new that I kept for a few years. This really brings back the memories.
Attached Images

01-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

I would like to introuce my Pentax film gear with some photos of items.
First of all , my entry in the Pentax system, back in year 2000 : Z-1p + FA 50 f/1,4 . ¡ What a wonderful combo ! Still I miss one Pentax DSLR FF like the Z-1p. Since I was absolutely delighted with its Hyper-manual mode, shortly after , I´ve purchased my second Pentax camera : my trusty( second hand ) MX.
At that time , already had my first K lens : Pentax K 200 f/4 and in 2002 I´ve adcquired the third one : black KX and also one of the most amazing lenses never produced : K 28 f/3,5.

Then, finally, in 2005 I bought the masterpiece of the Pentax design , LX + winder LX.
I have continued purchasing lenses , specially K and A together with some FA and only one DA zoom.
Preferred films were and are Fuji Superia 100 and Reala , together with Agfa Ultra 50 for color prints . For B&W prints Illford HP5+ and Tmax 400.
For slides , no doubt : Fuji Velvia 50.

I find all four cameras really very good , but if I had to choose among one of the three manuals , perhaps my decission was for the LX .

Thanks and best regards

Last edited by jopenmx; 02-27-2011 at 10:58 AM.
01-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #929
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X crew and K crew

Some more prints of my LX , " X crew " and " K crew "

Regards
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #930
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jopenmx Quote
Hello,

I would like to introuce my Pentax film gear with some photos of items.
First of all , my entry in the Pentax system, back in year 2000 : Z-1p + FA 50 f/1,4 . ¡ What a wonderful combo ! Still I miss one Pentax DSLR FF like the Z-1p. Since I was absolutely delighted with its Hyper-manual mode, shortly after , I´ve purchased my second Pentax camera : my trusty( second hand ) MX.
At that time , already had my first K lens : Pentax K 200 f/4 and in 2002 I´ve adcquired the third one : black KX and also one of the most amazing lenses never produced : K 28 f/3,5.

Then, finally, in 2005 I bought the masterpiece of the Pentax design , LX + winder LX.
I have continued purchasing lenses , specially K and A together with some FA and only one DA zoom.
Preferred films were and are Fuji Superia 100 and Reala , together with Agfa Ultra 50 for color prints . For B&W prints Illford HP5+ and Tmax 400.
For slides , no doubt : Fuji Velvia 50.

I find all four cameras really very good , but if I had to choose among one of the three manuals , perhaps my decission was for the LX .

Thanks and best regards
Very nice collection! Do I spy a K28/2, third from left in the last picture?

Phil.