Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #1246
Site Supporter

Okay gang,maybe you can help me here. I know most of Pentax brand lenses are top of the line. But for the life of me,is the 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 FA series lens really worth the high USD these people are asking for? I wouldn't mind having one for my SF1.But not at the asking prices that I've seen on Ebay and such.

10-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #1247
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The f/1.4 and f/1.7 F and FA 50mm lenses are excellent, but optically you will see very little to no difference from the M and A versions of the same lenses. What you are paying for is the convenience of autofocus and aperture control through the camera body at the expense of build quality, a worse manual focus feel, and a significantly higher purchase price.

You might pick up an M 50mm f/1.7 for $40 to 50 if you don't have a high quality fast 50 already and then wait for the right autofocus 50mm to show up. About once a year I see a grossly under priced F 50mm f/1.7 included with a camera body in the sub $100 range but I haven't been fast enough to pick one up yet.

Back when the FA 50mm f/1.4 was $200 new and the F 50mm f/1.7 went for $120 to $150 they were a much more attractive buy. I don't think that the FA 50mm f/1.4 at $250 to 300 and the F 50mm f/1.7 at $200 are unreasonable given their capabilities but the price does make you think a bit more about how much you want or need autofocus.

The viewfinder on the SF1 should be large enough that manual focus isn't too painful for slow moving and stationary subjects
10-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #1248
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My new aquisition

I have just picked up a new Pentax family member to go with my K7 & K5. It was left unloved and alone while all the Canons & Nikons were sold at a Camera shop closing auction.It is new old stock and I fell in love with it. Thanks to very little interest at the sale it only cost me $197 AUD. Now I'll have to buy it some nice glass.
Attached Images

10-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #1249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I have just picked up a new Pentax family member to go with my K7 & K5. It was left unloved and alone while all the Canons & Nikons were sold at a Camera shop closing auction.It is new old stock and I fell in love with it. Thanks to very little interest at the sale it only cost me $197 AUD. Now I'll have to buy it some nice glass.
Good price for one of those. I've never used one myself, the price of them has always put me off.

K.

10-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #1250
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I have just picked up a new Pentax family member to go with my K7 & K5
Sure there isn't a warrant out for your arrest? At $197 AUD, You stole that MZ-S!

I check about once a week for a champagne MZ-S, but the $700 price of admission is still too high. I generally buy glass when hundreds of $$$ are going out for camera gear

Last edited by Moe49; 10-08-2011 at 08:53 AM.
10-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #1251
Pentaxian

that is very cheap for a MZ-S
10-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #1252
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes it was super cheap, I don't think the recievers did very well for the camera shop, but they sure gave me a bargain.
10-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #1253

As promised a few posts back when I put up my ME Super SE ... here now is the latest arrival: an SV from shopgoodwill.com. I've just cleaned it up today.

It has a few scrapes on the top plate and dings in the prism, but otherwise cleaned up pretty well. It cost USD 23 with a lens.

No, not that lens, at that price! (I wish!!) That's the Super Tak 35/2 that I already owned, looking close to period-appropriate on the camera. What it came with was a large M42 Sears 135/2.8, of later vintage I believe, and far cleaner than the camera. I know these Goodwill shops mix and match any camera bits they have lying around, and I suspect that happened here. Some of the resulting auction lots are nonsensical (a Spottie with a 1995 Maxxum lens, or such), so I don't mind this set, in that the Sears lens is of the right mount, is pristine, and (rumour has it) might be a fairly good Mamiya. I haven't taken time to test out that lens much, but I should.

Thanks to all here and especially woof who helped educate me (here in the Sightseeing Screwmount thread) about green "R" vs. orange "R" so that I was able to buy carefully and get an SV that will accept my Super Tak 50/1.4.

The camera's B (Bulb) speed doesn't work (see my other thread here) and I found today that the self-timer does not either. (It appears to work, and seems to partially actuate the shutter release, but the curtain does not open.) Neither of those functions is crucial, so I think I got a decent deal.

--Dave

10-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #1254
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice Spottie Argenticien! A few dents and brassing adds character to it.
10-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #1255
Site Supporter

Nice, Argenticien. I've kept an eye open on Goodwill for a pre-spottie Pentax, but apparently haven't looked at the right times.
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #1256

If you watch long enough, a few slight bargains can be had, but really shopgoodwill.com has reached a sufficient (eBay-like) level of liquidity that the prices there are pretty much fair market. For example, this very clean-looking S3 went for USD 25. Oh, but wait, entangled in the same auction was the elusive 58/2 Sonnar-style Tak for USD 531.55 -- sigh. No outright steals to be had here, I think.
--Dave
10-10-2011, 04:12 AM   #1257
Site Supporter

My Set-Up

Some nice cameras and gear so far!
Here's my latest find, I have a black-body ME Super that's my walk-around film body, but saw a black ME (not Super) going for less than $30.00 on e-Bay. Yep, and several photos showed it to be...well, pristine. Too good to be true? That's what I thought also but it was worth a bid. So I offered $33.00 on a whim and...WON IT! Of course the shipping from the UK to US brought the total to near $50.00, still a very low price.
And it's just as clean as the sale photos indicated. Hardly a single scratch, hint of brassing or dent, not even on the tripod mount or around the strap lugs. Has this camera ever been used? I doubt it. The film pressure plate is absolutely clear, no indication of use.
The seller threw in a good copy of the original manual and 2 batteries. Yes, when I fired it up the meter worked fine and agreed with my reliable ME Super for readings.
It's the camera shown in my avatar and here's a link to my PF album with a larger version, photo # 1.
IMG 2737 - rbefly's Album: rbefly photos - PentaxForums.com
Since then I bought a colorful "Hippy" strap with leather fittings to protect the camera/lug area. Also found some old screw-on metal Kodak film canisters which I loaded with Illford B+W and color print film.
A small Army-type bag, my 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7 and (either) 85mm f2.0 or 100mm f2.8 (all M's, of course!) complete my 1970's look and I dress accordingly. LOL!
Oh, can't forget- A Gossen 'Pilot' meter (working)and genuine Pentax YG filter to round things out.
I also have an ME II winder and AF 280T flash for those special occasions.
I'm about 2/3rds through with the first roll of B+W on the ME, will develop, scan and post a couple here when it's done.
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 10-10-2011 at 04:24 AM.
10-10-2011, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #1258
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Some nice cameras and gear so far!
Here's my latest find, I have a black-body ME Super that's my walk-around film body, but saw a black ME (not Super) going for less than $30.00 on e-Bay. Yep, and several photos showed it to be...well, pristine. Too good to be true? That's what I thought also but it was worth a bid. So I offered $33.00 on a whim and...WON IT! Of course the shipping from the UK to US brought the total to near $50.00, still a very low price.
And it's just as clean as the sale photos indicated. Hardly a single scratch, hint of brassing or dent, not even on the tripod mount or around the strap lugs. Has this camera ever been used? I doubt it. The film pressure plate is absolutely clear, no indication of use.
The seller threw in a good copy of the original manual and 2 batteries. Yes, when I fired it up the meter worked fine and agreed with my reliable ME Super for readings.
It's the camera shown in my avatar and here's a link to my PF album with a larger version, photo # 1.
IMG 2737 - rbefly's Album: rbefly photos - PentaxForums.com
Since then I bought a colorful "Hippy" strap with leather fittings to protect the camera/lug area. Also found some old screw-on metal Kodak film canisters which I loaded with Illford B+W and color print film.
A small Army-type bag, my 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7 and (either) 85mm f2.0 or 100mm f2.8 (all M's, of course!) complete my 1970's look and I dress accordingly. LOL!
Oh, can't forget- A Gossen 'Pilot' meter (working)and genuine Pentax YG filter to round things out.
I also have an ME II winder and AF 280T flash for those special occasions.
I'm about 2/3rds through with the first roll of B+W on the ME, will develop, scan and post a couple here when it's done.
Ron
Very nice find, the ME looks in great shape!

Enjoy,

Phil.
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #1259
Site Supporter

Thanks!

Thanks, Phil...I almost feel guilty for stealing the ME at such a low price, especially considering the condition. But manual film cameras don't seem to command very high prices, unless it's a rare or high-end model.
The ME (or Super) is really a good basic camera and fun to use. I do shoot much more digital but it's fun to go back to the roots, especially with B+W film.
Ron
10-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #1260
Pentaxian

I keep meaning to take a group photo of my remaining Pentax film SLRs...I recently sold a couple to pay for a Super Graphic, and my LX just got sick and went to Eric Hendrickson.

I've sold my *ist and a black MX recently, plus a PZ1 a few months ago, and I used to have 5 spotties....it would have made a hell of a group shot before all that got sold!