Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #1261
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This spottie says 'HI'. It's been a while since he's seen real film, unfortunately ...

10-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #1262

here are my 3 small little Blacky, Waiting for another Black Sp, both Super Tak 50 1.4, and 105mm 2.8 m42 lens.
10-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #1263
Site Supporter

Very nice!
10-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #1264
Forum Member

my 2 black beauties

10-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #1265
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have two MZ-6 cameras both "Made in Japan" but have different company names. The earlier one is "ASAHI OPT. CO. LTD" and the later one purchased in 2004 "PENTAX CORPORATION". Did Pentax change the name during that time period?

When I opened the bottom cover, I could immediately tell that MIJ version had better workmanship than AIP.

Last edited by violini; 11-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #1266
Inactive Account

My 4 Supers along with the Program Plus
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PV-SD4090  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PV-SD4090  Photo 
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #1267

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I have two MZ-6 cameras both "Made in Japan" but have different company names. The earlier one is "ASAHI OPT. CO. LTD" and the later one purchased in 2004 "PENTAX CORPORATION". Did Pentax change the name during that time period?
They did. It seems to me (from memory) as though they renamed the company to match the cameras (Asahi Optical --> Pentax) way later than everyone else did similar (Yashima Kogaku --> Yashica, Nippon Kogaku --> Nikon, etc.). Probably if you dig deep enough in Wikipedia or such like, you can find exact dates. I haven't heard of any particular cachet and therefore high price attached to the "Pentax" vs. "Asahi Optical" variant of the same model of any given camera around the time of the change-over, probably because it's in small print on the bottom and they all say "Pentax" on the main nameplate! (Or because the cameras were less collectible plastic fantastics by then. ) With other brands, that cachet and price premium definitely happens. People seek Nikon F cameras that say "Nippon Kogaku" rather than "Nikon" on the top plate ... which then forces you to do similar when buying lenses for it so that they match, etc. etc. ... And with very old Pentaxes where a distributor name is on the main name plate above "PENTAX", of course there's the chasing down of Heliand vs. Honeywell vs. Asahi variants, although I think it's mainly just to try to collect all(?) -- I don't know if any one is worth much more than the other in most cases. Those variants have been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere; and again it's to do with who the distributors were. In all cases, the company making the cameras was called Asahi Optical throughout that time.

--Dave
10-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #1268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
This spottie says 'HI'. It's been a while since he's seen real film, unfortunately ...
You can change that

10-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #1269
Site Supporter

I feel like a complete fool today. In May I came home from the hospital and the first thing I want to do is take a picture. I grab my SF1 and it doesn't have the correct lens on it. So i take of the 28-80 lens and grab my 70-300 mm Quantaray lens and as I fidget with it it pops out of my hands and on to the floor. No damage to look at the lens but it won't auto or manual focus .So I purchased another 70-300mm Quantaray lens to replace the other.All is fine until today the SF1 is on my ottoman with the replacement lens on it and as I walk by my foot catches the camera strap and yanks it down on to the carpeted floor.It did nor fall far and there is no visual damage.
But again the lens will not auto focus. It didn't hit hard at all. The camera is fine but the lens again refuses to work correctly. Are all of these auto focus lenses this delicate? The first one hit hard so I understood why it quit working. But this one didn't seem hit hard at all. Has anyone else experienced this?
10-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #1270
Banned

I wouldnít know, but the real question should be, do you always leave your camera in such careless places where accidents are bound to happen? Iím not trying to be rude at all mate, use wondering because reading what happened, it seems like you kind of set that up to happen.
10-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #1271
Site Supporter

I learned a long time ago that neck straps can quickly become the camera's bane! That isn't the only scenario to watch out.
10-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #1272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I learned a long time ago that neck straps can quickly become the camera's bane! That isn't the only scenario to watch out.
agree. better be careful with a strap. friend of mine had really sad story with his Leica ..
10-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #1273
Veteran Member

I can definitely say that neck straps and cameras with open backs don't mix well...
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #1274
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
had really sad story with his Leica
I have straps (neck or wrist) on all my cameras, but have been increasingly wary of the neck straps. First there is the issue of the straps becoming intangled with other stuff on the shelf resulting in a camera "launch". Second there is the issue of strap condition. My Kiev 4 came with an apparently good leather strap attached to its case. I narrowly avoided disaster when the strap abruptly broke during normal shooting and I was able to pinch the strap between my fingers before the camera hit the ground.

No more sketchy FSU leather for my cameras.

Steve
10-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #1275

lx i picked up today

just got this very cheap,has lx data back and af280t flash,they all look barely used,mint,camera working but needs a service mirror sticks on the first shot,its not been used for years,not sure if ill keep it,probably let it go for a good price