Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #1306
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I found this black beauty with lens and remote cable for less than the price of the cable. I restored it with a cloth (I gave it a wipe),and every-thing functions perfectly.
Congrats, that's a nice camera, and good looking too, in both the black and "panda" versions. Really amazing the camera technology you can pick up for a song if you're in the right place at the right time.

11-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #1307
Site Supporter

The newest addition to my Pentax film family, a 4lb bundle of joy named “Thor”!

Phil.
Attached Images

11-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #1308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The newest addition to my Pentax film family, a 4lb bundle of joy named ďThorĒ!

Phil.
Congrats Phil, that's a very nice looking setup.
11-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #1309
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Congrats Phil, that's a very nice looking setup.
Thanks Colton. I ran the first roll of film through it yesterday, so I have my fingers crossed waiting for the processed and scanning to be done. (My scanner only does 35mm sized negatives/slides)

It was sunny but very windy here yesterday, so probably not the best weather to use a 67 handheld for the first time. Iím hoping 1/250 & 1/500 shutter speeds were enough while I was swaying in the wind.

Phil.

11-16-2011, 04:02 AM   #1310
Site Supporter

It was sunny but very windy here yesterday, so probably not the best weather to use a 67 handheld for the first time. Iím hoping 1/250 & 1/500 shutter speeds were enough while I was swaying in the wind.
Congratulations! Despite what you may have heard, I've found there is no need to fear the lower speeds, getting some good shots even down around 1/8 second handheld; the sheer mass of the camera + lens seems to add stability, unless that's all in my head.
11-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #1311
Pentaxian

It's not in your head, Sluggo. I used to do a lot of motor sports photography and would hand-hold my cameras with long lenses attached while doing pan shots. For a motorsports photo to look right, you have to select a slow enough shutter speed so that the wheels blur -- usually about 1/125 second or slower. But I found that these slow speeds with 300mm and longer lenses weren't a problem when panning smoothly. It has always been my conviction that the sheer mass of the outfit prevents jitter-induced blur. Just a few weeks ago, I attended a local airshow, and had to do the same thing with the propeller-driven aircraft. That is, limit my top shutter speed to about 1/125 second so I'd have decent prop blur. I was shooting with a Tamron 300mm f/2.8 LDIF (big and heavy) attached to my EOS digital and had not a single photo with jitter-induced blur. Because it's an MF lens, yeah I missed focus on some shots, but at least I didn't have to toss any because of the shakes.

Congrats on picking up a great outfit, Phil. I love the old Pentax 67 and would like to have my own one of these days.
11-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #1312
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Congratulations! Despite what you may have heard, I've found there is no need to fear the lower speeds, getting some good shots even down around 1/8 second handheld; the sheer mass of the camera + lens seems to add stability, unless that's all in my head.
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
It's not in your head, Sluggo. I used to do a lot of motor sports photography and would hand-hold my cameras with long lenses attached while doing pan shots. For a motorsports photo to look right, you have to select a slow enough shutter speed so that the wheels blur -- usually about 1/125 second or slower. But I found that these slow speeds with 300mm and longer lenses weren't a problem when panning smoothly. It has always been my conviction that the sheer mass of the outfit prevents jitter-induced blur. Just a few weeks ago, I attended a local airshow, and had to do the same thing with the propeller-driven aircraft. That is, limit my top shutter speed to about 1/125 second so I'd have decent prop blur. I was shooting with a Tamron 300mm f/2.8 LDIF (big and heavy) attached to my EOS digital and had not a single photo with jitter-induced blur. Because it's an MF lens, yeah I missed focus on some shots, but at least I didn't have to toss any because of the shakes.

Congrats on picking up a great outfit, Phil. I love the old Pentax 67 and would like to have my own one of these days.
Thanks guys! Yes I read a lot of various articles with conflicting shutter speeds that you should use MLU and hand hold a Pentax 67 at.

I’m going to shoot Tmax 400 for the time being, so I should be fine hand holding even with b&w contrast filters.

Phil.
11-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #1313
Pentaxian

Thanks Colton. I ran the first roll of film through it yesterday, so I have my fingers crossed waiting for the processed and scanning to be done. (My scanner only does 35mm sized negatives/slides)

Phil.
You shouldn't have any trouble shooting handheld at those speeds.
I highly recommend the WLF for easier handheld shooting and to cut down on weight.
Here's a shot I took handheld 1/60s using the WLF and 45/4.
While not super sharp, I was standing in the bow of a small rocking boat.

11-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #1314
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
You shouldn't have any trouble shooting handheld at those speeds.
I highly recommend the WLF for easier handheld shooting and to cut down on weight.
Here's a shot I took handheld 1/60s using the WLF and 45/4.
While not super sharp, I was standing in the bow of a small rocking boat.
Yes your shot turned out very well, considering the circumstances.
I had ordered a Folding Focusing Hood last month and the camera store just got it in and shipped it today. So I’m looking forward to trying it out, I also have a spotmeter so I’m good to go.

Looks like I have to wait till next week to get my first roll back. The lab is moving this weekend and will take a few days to setup in their new location.

Phil.
11-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #1315
Pentaxian

I just got this guy (the one on the right)

11-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #1316
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The newest addition to my Pentax film family, a 4lb bundle of joy named “Thor”!

Phil.
Great looking 67! I can hear the "cachunk" sound of the shutter from here!

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I had a MZ-S for a while and regret selling it. There is no other camera anything like it (well for what I've used at least).
11-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #1317
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Nice. From their exteriors, you could hardly guess that one camera is nearly 10 yrs older than the other. I like the contoured looks of the MZ-S grip, too.
11-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #1318
Pentaxian

I think the grip of the MZ-S is the best ever made.
11-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #1319
Pentaxian

After seeing Phil's 67, I got inspired to do a portrait of my 67.
I got this as a broken parts body that came along with a 67II, 3 lenses (2 in need of repair), an ext. tube set, helicoid ext. tube, and 67mm reverse adapter, all for $400.
I sold the 67II body for $550, 1 lens (165/4 LS) for $250, and the helicoid tube for $150. Then spent $250 repairing the 67 and other 2 lenses (45/4, and 90/2.8 LS)
In the end, I paid back the $400, and ended up with $300 and a working 67 and 2 lenses. It's a little beatup looking but it has worked great for 2 years and over 30 rolls of film. I have since added a folding waist level finder and a SMC Pentax 67 200/4 to my kit.

11-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #1320
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I think the grip of the MZ-S is the best ever made.
It's certainly a much nicer grip to use than the K-5's.