Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #1441

I figured it was a good time to introduce myself as shot the first frames today on my Pentax 645N loaded with Provia 100.

I've used those disposable film cameras when I was younger but this is the first time I've ever loaded a roll of film into a camera. Pretty excited about it, for now my goals are just to get some shots that are properly exposed and in focus. After that we'll see where it goes.

I'm up in Whitehorse, Yukon so mostly shooting winter stuff right now. I hope to get comfortable enough with this camera to shoot some mountain biking with it this summer.

This forum has been my inspiration for choosing the camera that I did, so a big thank you to everyone.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GF2  Photo 
01-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #1442

@adelorenzo: First roll of film ever loaded was 120? WOW!* First film camera (other than disposable) is a 645N? WOW! That's like going straight from no car (other than taxi rides) to a BMW 5-series. Looking forward to your pics from the YT. Some of the best landscapes posted on the Takumar Club are from user "natestation" who is over in Alaska, so we know there's great stuff to be seen up north there.
--Dave

*Yes, probably many people had a 120/620/similar roll as their first film, before 35 mm was prevalent, but by today's standards, highly unusual I would think.
01-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #1443
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So if he started with a Pentax 67 would that be like a BMW 7-series?
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1444
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
So if he started with a Pentax 67 would that be like a BMW 7-series?
And if he started with fast lenses, would it be an M?

01-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #1445

I have some Super Takumar lenses for my digital so the original plan was to just get a spotmatic and try out film on the cheap. Then somehow I came to this conclusion that there was no point in doing film unless it was medium format. Considered some options and in the end the 645N was the winner.

Plus, I LOVE the bigger, heavier camera. My current camera (Panasonic GF2) I bought with a pancake lens because I liked the small size and portability. But framing shots on an LCD with a small camera isn't the same as bringing this big guy up to my eye, and then the shutter goes THWACK!

You may all be surprised to learn I've never really used a proper viewfinder either. Had various digital cameras that had them, but I have always composed on the LCD screen. So very big learning curve for me!
01-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #1446
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
@adelorenzo: First roll of film ever loaded was 120? WOW!* First film camera (other than disposable) is a 645N? WOW! That's like going straight from no car (other than taxi rides) to a BMW 5-series. Looking forward to your pics from the YT. Some of the best landscapes posted on the Takumar Club are from user "natestation" who is over in Alaska, so we know there's great stuff to be seen up north there.
--Dave

*Yes, probably many people had a 120/620/similar roll as their first film, before 35 mm was prevalent, but by today's standards, highly unusual I would think.

--

@adelorenzo

congrats for your new camera. awesome pick.
01-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Over 3,000,000!!
Probably closer to 5 million now, since very few K1000s I know of are with their original owners. I've never owned one knew but I bought it as my first film SLR.
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #1448
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Probably closer to 5 million now, since very few K1000s I know of are with their original owners. I've never owned one knew but I bought it as my first film SLR.
I attribute my presence here to buying my daughter a second-hand K1000SE. Got me back into film and Pentax.

01-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #1449
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
I figured it was a good time to introduce myself as shot the first frames today on my Pentax 645N loaded with Provia 100.

I've used those disposable film cameras when I was younger but this is the first time I've ever loaded a roll of film into a camera. Pretty excited about it, for now my goals are just to get some shots that are properly exposed and in focus. After that we'll see where it goes.

I'm up in Whitehorse, Yukon so mostly shooting winter stuff right now. I hope to get comfortable enough with this camera to shoot some mountain biking with it this summer.

This forum has been my inspiration for choosing the camera that I did, so a big thank you to everyone.
Nice to hear from a Yukoner. I lived in Watson Lake for 4 years, then went to the NWT for 25.

Is there an external battery pack for the 645?
01-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #1450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Is there an external battery pack for the 645?
I believe that there was an external pack, but good luck finding one. Probably easier to find a regular pack and wire it up as a dummy with an external battery at the right voltage if you really need to work in the cold for extended periods.
01-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #1451
Pentaxian

my new to 30mm

01-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #1452
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

my new to 30mm

Great lens the K30/2.8. Enjoy!

Phil.
01-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #1453
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Great lens the K30/2.8. Enjoy!

Phil.
do you happen to have that lens Phil? i dont have digital at this moment so i wasnt be able to see the result since my roll havent got a time to see the lab?

is that good lens?

01-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #1454
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
do you happen to have that lens Phil? i dont have digital at this moment so i wasnt be able to see the result since my roll havent got a time to see the lab?

is that good lens?

Yes I have the K30/2.8 and it’s a great lens. It fits nicely between the K28/2 and the K28/3.5, as sort of a third 28mm lens.

You’ll enjoy the lens and same with the results. Looking forward to your first posts with the lens.

Phil.
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #1455
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes I have the K30/2.8 and itís a great lens. It fits nicely between the K28/2 and the K28/3.5, as sort of a third 28mm lens.

Youíll enjoy the lens and same with the results. Looking forward to your first posts with the lens.

Phil.
Fearview,

Phil has all the K series lenses. He's sort of the Yoda in this area. A good source for K series information.

Tom G