Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yard Sale Find!

I have a bunch of pentax film bodies now ... my own K1000, my aunts Pentax Honeywell, 2 MEs, a Super Program, 1 silver Spotty, and ...

Yesterday I hit a yard sale and grabbed a black spotty + 50/1.4 + 135/3.5 + an MC 28/2.8 + macro lens things (just cheap screw ons) + a couple doo-dads. $80. I should probably sell some of the kit off ...

I *love* how well-used the black spotty looks:

09-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #722
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
I have a bunch of pentax film bodies now ... my own K1000, my aunts Pentax Honeywell, 2 MEs, a Super Program, 1 silver Spotty, and ...

Yesterday I hit a yard sale and grabbed a black spotty + 50/1.4 + 135/3.5 + an MC 28/2.8 + macro lens things (just cheap screw ons) + a couple doo-dads. $80. I should probably sell some of the kit off ...

I *love* how well-used the black spotty looks:
Aww, yeah. One reason I like old black cameras: they show where they've been, which is pleasing if it's honest wear and not abuse. (Never hurt as a gal trying to make her start in a male Nikonians' world, either: 'chrome' cameras were then associated with rank amateurs, in probably silly-ways that only count when like *you* need an impression like you've been around a while. I learned early on that 'shiniest' isn't always the 'most impressive' depending on the impression you want to make, and sometimes 'Been around the block a few times' is just that impression, when people are inclined to assume otherwise. Funny thing about it is, there was a time where, after the 'imitating pros' thing and plastics made almost *all* cameras black, people would see a chrome body and think, 'Ah, old school. Serious.' That caught me a bit by surprise at times. )

I am, however, somewhat displaced in time photographically, so, I still like to see old black bodies with some brass. I've got a Super A for my Pentax stable, who's endearingly-rubbed-around the edges, I think. One well-worn creature of the 80's to another, I guess.

Though that Spottie's going to look (and possibly sound) more *freshly* ill-used if those dog-clips don't get isolated or replaced. They originally came with leather links, (I think you can actually still find them,) and you probably don't want metal on metal happening. I'd at least cut another piece of leather to match the one on the right-hand side there.

(And also at least face that clip so that it can't be pushed open against the camera body as it is. The old 'brass and glass' is all very nice till you nearly drop one from three stories onto a tour group of kindergartners. I assure you, even properly-arranged, I'll never trust one of those again, and I'll thank Who Looks Out For Poor Canon FD Shooters that the lesson didn't turn out to be at the expense of others. Almost going over the railing and realizing that the 'second body' that was off your shoulder a half-second ago, but is now hanging in your hand by the flying end of the 'hippie strap' is a deadly *weight* that nearly plunged onto a gaggle of *children* (or made one of *you*) is about more than a taste for vintage gear. Made an impression on *me,* I assure you, one I won't soon forget. Remote chance, of course, but that doesn't mean things don't happen: I've used the same model of camera to cold-cock someone, too, Those 'hippie straps were usually poorly-made to begin with, and they haven't been getting any newer in all this time, even if it's only the camera you're thinking of. Secure your gear. )

And be nice to the old feller: that Spottie deserves it by now, anyway.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.
09-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #723
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Though that Spottie's going to look (and possibly sound) more *freshly* ill-used if those dog-clips don't get isolated or replaced. They originally came with leather links, (I think you can actually still find them,) and you probably don't want metal on metal happening. I'd at least cut another piece of leather to match the one on the right-hand side there.

(And also at least face that clip so that it can't be pushed open against the camera body as it is. The old 'brass and glass' is all very nice till you nearly drop one from three stories onto a tour group of kindergartners. I assure you, even properly-arranged, I'll never trust one of those again, and I'll thank Who Looks Out For Poor Canon FD Shooters that the lesson didn't turn out to be at the expense of others. Almost going over the railing and realizing that the 'second body' that was off your shoulder a half-second ago, but is now hanging in your hand by the flying end of the 'hippie strap' is a deadly *weight* that nearly plunged onto a gaggle of *children* (or made one of *you*) is about more than a taste for vintage gear. Made an impression on *me,* I assure you, one I won't soon forget. Remote chance, of course, but that doesn't mean things don't happen: I've used the same model of camera to cold-cock someone, too, Those 'hippie straps were usually poorly-made to begin with, and they haven't been getting any newer in all this time, even if it's only the camera you're thinking of. Secure your gear. )

And be nice to the old feller: that Spottie deserves it by now, anyway.
I'll get the clips fixed, as you suggest! It actually came in the standard leather case of the times, which is in pretty decent condition. I think with the case installed the clips probably don't come into contact with the body. But I will check it out. And I'll switch them around so it can't easily press open and smash some poor innocent children on the head by accident.
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #724
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
I'll get the clips fixed, as you suggest! It actually came in the standard leather case of the times, which is in pretty decent condition. I think with the case installed the clips probably don't come into contact with the body. But I will check it out. And I'll switch them around so it can't easily press open and smash some poor innocent children on the head by accident.
Hee. Pardon if I overstate the point. Traumatic experience in formative years and all. Always had a bit of a twitch about it. Never trusted those clips as presented again. (Often made of softer metal than they're supposed to be, As we said in ol' Beantown, 'I can take a hint.' )

09-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #725
Inactive Account

After seeing those nicely worn and brassed cameras I'm almost ashamed to show my 2 Pentax film bodies.

Unfortunatly the ones I won on Ebay this month turned out to be in a mint condition. So they need a lot of use by me to look just as nice.

My ME Super, Program A and ME Winder II:

09-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #726
Veteran Member

you are smarter!

smarter,

very nice score. i love the Darth Vader camera. i'm jealous!
09-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #727
Veteran Member

my just arrived Pentax ME shot with my adored Pentax ME Super, the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 that came with the ME and my first go at BW film (Kodak BW400CN):

09-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #728
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Here's something I did NOT need, but have been thinking about for a long time: an Auto 110. It only has the 24mm lens, but it does seem to work. $9! Now I'll spend twice that or more trying to find some 110 film and get it developed.
I love these little things. Bought myself a bunch of A-110 stuff over the weekend. Got the Zoom, the 18mm Pan, and the 70 Tele. Cool stuff.

I want a shot of an Auto 110 sitting on a 6x7.
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #729
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I love these little things. Bought myself a bunch of A-110 stuff over the weekend. Got the Zoom, the 18mm Pan, and the 70 Tele. Cool stuff.

I want a shot of an Auto 110 sitting on a 6x7.

Auto 110 with the 70mm and 6x7 with the 75mm. That's the 110 & lens combo that has been in my Avatar for a while.

09-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #730
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Auto 110 with the 70mm and 6x7 with the 75mm. That's the 110 & lens combo that has been in my Avatar for a while.
I didn't realize it was request night

That's quite a size difference. It's actually quite hard to find good photos of 6x7s and 67s next to 35mm and 110 cameras for comparison, and that's a nice one.

Also: All that extra bulk on the 6x7's lens for just 5mm. Seems wasteful
09-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #731
Pentaxian

Here's my Pentax Panorama. My two favorites are at the front, the MX and my old K1000. I just recently received the K1000 SE and it needs some work to fix it up to working condition.
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #732
Veteran Member

Blue, that's great! I love how even the K2 looks like a toy next to the 67.
09-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #733
Veteran Member

builttospill : is that a K2 DMD? i would love to see in bigger photo
09-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #734
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
builttospill : is that a K2 DMD? i would love to see in bigger photo
Yes, it is. I'll try to get a couple pictures of it this weekend to post here.

It's an incredible camera, but due to it's weight, I often grab another camera when I'm roaming around. It does get it's use for set up shots and close-to-home photo walks though.
09-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #735
Veteran Member

It arrived today, and in better shape than I had hoped !! ES II body, $31 and change including shipping. Now I need to find some little rings so I can attach a strap to it. Meter seems to work, I put 4 fresh 357s in it, and the needle responds to light.....so I'll have to run a roll through it this weekend