Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #1111
Inactive Account

"Asahi" K1000 with a 28/f3.5 Super Takumar M42 lens.

Finally got the Pentax I won on eBay, and I'm thinking if the guy had shown and described it more accurately, it might have gone for a bit more than the $26 I gave for it and the Vivitar Auto 2600 flash.
It was very well packed (almost didn't find the flash in all the packing) and arrived with no shipping damage. The only obvious problem at first glance was one of the front leatherette panels wasn't quite lined up well... but that's fixable.
The lens looked fine, and the shutter seems to work fine at different speeds, and it's certainly cleaner inside than out (though not bad outside either). Meter wasn't twitching, but a trip to the Battery Depot fixed that right up. When I depressed the release to remove the lens... it just started turning. No bayonet? Oh, yeah... M42! I looked more closely and the adapter is marked Asahi Pentax. Woot! So, no 50/2 for the moment, but that's easily remedied.

Oh yeah... the plastic pad on the rewind lever is missing. Gotta find one of those, or fabricate something...

I burned a roll of film while Zoe and I had supper, and had it developed at Walgreen's. The photos came out well, and the meter seems to have done a good job.

All in all, a good camera to clean up and hopefully pass on to Zoe when/if she's old enough to appreciate it... if she turns her nose up at it, no loss to me.

Attached Images

06-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #1112
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is the early version of the ST 28/3.5 bigthumbsup That genuine Pentax m42 adapter is worth the $28 alone.
06-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #1113
Inactive Account

That's what I was figuring. Most of the ones I'd been considering for this camera, before I knew it had one already attached, were the pretenders... and even they're selling for half of what I paid for the camera.
I think I'll have fun with this one, especially as I was really missing my old one anyway. Heck... I may even treat it to some nicer leather.
06-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #1114
Banned

06-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #1115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
beautiful ..

is that an AP seamuis.. beautiful lens cap to..
06-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #1116
Banned

indeed it is. and the photos do not do it justice.
06-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #1117
Site Supporter

indeed it is. and the photos do not do it justice.
I agree with you about the photo not doing the 'AP,' 'S,' or 'K' justice. There is a review in the m42 section on the AP calling it a brick of a tank. I don't think the reviewer actually had this body and just thought it was.

Here is a line out of the review:

QuoteQuote:
Compared to modern cameras, it was a great big heavy tank.
If the AP is a great big heavy tank, every 35 Pentax made is one. as is most others

06-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #1118
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I agree with you about the photo not doing the 'AP,' 'S,' or 'K' justice. There is a review in the m42 section on the AP calling it a brick of a tank. I don't think the reviewer actually had this body and just thought it was.
absolutely not. the nikon F is a brick. the AP is anything but. well engineerd and assembled, but not a brick or a tank. I have always considered 'jewel-like' to be the most appropriate.
06-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #1119
Site Supporter

absolutely not. the nikon F is a brick. the AP is anything but. well engineerd and assembled, but not a brick or a tank. I have always considered 'jewel-like' to be the most appropriate.

The guy reviewed this from memory. He bought it in '61 and had it until '76. Even if it was the AP, it was likely used or old stock. The KX he replaced it with is larger.

Asahi Pentax 'AP' (Tower 26) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
06-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #1120
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The guy reviewed this from memory. He bought it in '61 and had it until '76. Even if it was the AP, it was likely used or old stock. The KX he replaced it with is larger.

Asahi Pentax 'AP' (Tower 26) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
I don't know off hand what the actual weights are, but my AP and 55mm Takumar feels much lighter than my F and 50mm, and thats with the waist level finder, not a photomic metered finder.
06-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #1121
Forum Member

Had a thread previously in whether to acquire the ME SE, well now its bought and delivered. Can't be happier !!!

Mounted with FA43 with M50 1.7 by the side.

Pentax should really create a DSLR body similar to the ME with K-mount. Everytime I press the shutter of the ME, I always thought how brilliant if I can review at the back of the camera.
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #1122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hide Quote

Had a thread previously in whether to acquire the ME SE, well now its bought and delivered. Can't be happier !!!

Mounted with FA43 with M50 1.7 by the side.

Pentax should really create a DSLR body similar to the ME with K-mount. Everytime I press the shutter of the ME, I always thought how brilliant if I can review at the back of the camera.
I don't understand why Pentax or anyone else can't make a decent D-SLR the size of an M film body, unless they just don't think it'll sell.

Even my relatively light K100D is huge compared to an M-series.
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #1123

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I don't understand why Pentax or anyone else can't make a decent D-SLR the size of an M film body, unless they just don't think it'll sell...
Don't want to go off topic, but I'm also wondering that. Maybe the idea of a camera that people will still be using in 35 years (like M bodies) is too scaring to the marketing department?
06-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #1124
Inactive Account

Wow, hide, I like that leather. There's a fellow I know from another board who specializes in "post-apocalyptic-distressed" leather goods, like holsters and scabbards. As my K1000 is in good shape save for an old ding or two in the top cover, I may check with him to see if I can get a sheet of his material for it.
...and maybe a barbed-wire strap...
06-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #1125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spacer Quote
Wow, hide, I like that leather. There's a fellow I know from another board who specializes in "post-apocalyptic-distressed" leather goods, like holsters and scabbards. As my K1000 is in good shape save for an old ding or two in the top cover, I may check with him to see if I can get a sheet of his material for it.
...and maybe a barbed-wire strap...
The ME, ME Super, and K1000 SEs all had that brown leather from the factory. I personally don't like it much.