Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #1366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
no, that doesn't make me miss my ME F and AF 35-70. no, not at all. :ugh: the AF actually works much better than you'd expect in good light, and yes the lens is optically very good. enjoy it!
I was showing off to a local guy last month and he offered me a ridiculous sum of money for it. As the A50/1.2, at least I'll always know I owned one.

01-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #1367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Big Brother

I have toyed with the idea of adopting an LX for many, many years. Phil, here are a few crapshots that don't do him justice.

Welcome big brother!
Attached Images

01-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #1368
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fine looking stepson you have there MC. Have you had him out for a walk yet, and did he behave??????Cliff

Last edited by usn ret; 01-05-2012 at 12:03 AM.
01-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #1369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have toyed with the idea of adopting an LX for many, many years. Phil, here are a few crapshots that don't do him justice.

Welcome big brother!
Thanks Paul, very nice! It looks in great shape along with the M100/2.8.

Phil.

01-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #1370
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the new addition to the family, Monochrome. I'm jealous...(although I've been shooting my SuperProgram lately and it's by no means a red-headed step child <g>)

Best,
Kevin
01-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #1371
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks great Paul! There is something about a nice LX!
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #1372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: Images from an adopted LX

Hi and thanks everyone. Phil, yes, both lens and LX are in very nice condition. Regrettably I didn't take the time to blow dust from the lens. Eric CLA'ed the LX last year, so the operation should be top. Frankly, this is the first post-K-series body that I have enjoyed holding. EVERYTHING other than my KX and K2DMD have some little niggling distraction. Large hands and thick fingers just don't go well with an MX or MESuper. This, however, is balanced, comfortable and my fingers fall to the controls naturally. Envison the spontaneous smile when I brought the viewfinder to my eye.

Cliff, what with three grown children coming and going we've had such a Grand Central Station holiday season that we honestly haven't had much time to bond yet.

My elder daughter was home 4 days then went back to DC, packed, and moved to New York New Year's Day to start a new job (and had her purse stolen the night before the move EDIT: The purse was in our mailbox this afternoon with a note from the person who found it,minus cash and credit cards, in an alley!); middle son permanently moved out of our house to a townhome with his fiance; younger daughter whirled in and out at all hours with various "home from college" friends. Yes, the house has 4 bedrooms but, the living space is no longer suited to 6 adult bodies (including the proto daughter-in-law); and perhaps neither are we prepared to host 6 adult opinions (on everything).

In the midst of this joyous hubbub our elderly but serviceable dishwasher, confronted with the prospect of a thirtieth season of party dishes, committed honorable but untimely hara kiri Christmas Eve. Ever devotees of manual operation, we've been hand-washing ever since. I'm pleased to announce we've arranged a transplant by Mr. Bosch through a custom designer friend but there is a lead-time for these things . . . .

So we endeavor to regain our equilibrium. I offer this well-known quote from Robert Louis-Stevenson:

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life."

I plan to do some plain, common photography, cleaning, and sorting in all the pockets in my camera bags recently emptied to finance the adoption. I have an SV from woof and a found H1a to send off to Eric. And Big Brother here to exercise. That means I should order film by the brick and embrace the light. I do have Tri-X and TMAX in the fridge (and the legacy roll of Kodachrome 64).

Right now I've a partially exposed roll of FujiColor Pro 160S in the LX. We'll see if anything noteworthy develops. Befitting my UserID here, I've signed up for a film photography course at the Community College. B&W is the requisite introduction in the Art Department curriculum - our professor grudgingly accepted the LX as a suitable camera (no Automatic! - write your settings after each shutter release!) but would have preferred a K1000. (I didn't tell her about the KX).

My children have asked for a print each, suitable to enlarge for wall display, to hang next to my daughter's 2005 images from Abiqui Ghost Ranch (Ansel Adams and Georgia O'Keefe were there).

Plain, common work is before me (and that's a good thing)!

Have a wonderful 2012 all!

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2012 at 05:41 PM.
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #1373
Veteran Member

Welcome big brother!

Ah. Congrats. I've always wanted to want one of those. Now I can. (Want one. ) I was always very impressed. I might start wanting one really strongly if I lay hands to an M 85/2 or an FA 77.

I should probably start shooting more film again, ..drag out the Canon F-1 and stuff. Then I could justify wanting to want that. I think familiar tools help to get me rolling sometimes when I'm feeling somewhat adrift.
01-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #1374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ah. Congrats. I've always wanted to want one of those. Now I can. (Want one. ) I was always very impressed. I might start wanting one really strongly if I lay hands to an M 85/2 or an FA 77.

I should probably start shooting more film again, ..drag out the Canon F-1 and stuff. Then I could justify wanting to want that. I think familiar tools help to get me rolling sometimes when I'm feeling somewhat adrift.
Deep in our hearts we know that's kinda the ultimate, don't we?
Or maybe an F2.

Put it up.

The LX will do. Buy a brick of Kodak film now before its gone.
01-05-2012, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #1375
Veteran Member

Deep in our hearts we know that's kinda the ultimate, don't we?
Or maybe an F2.
Eh, sometimes it's just not about 'Ultimate,' just "home."

QuoteQuote:
Put it up.

The LX will do. Buy a brick of Kodak film now before its gone.

'Put it up? '

I think I've got a photo or two on my little image-dumpey page... Yep, here's my big gal:

I've actually got a freezer pretty full of Arista-Tri-X. (At least they say it's tri-X: doesn't taste the same, though.)
01-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #1376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something Fundamental

Wow! Wow! Very, very nice.

This will date me - but - in 1972-73, in HS, my rich-kid friends' fathers had these and when we went shooting for yearbook, scholarship me with a beater C3, (then a borrowed Spotmatic) I always felt inadequate.

I think that's the root of my camera lust. I wanted but couldn't have (is that the root of ALL lust?).

The LX satisfies something, fundamentally. We'll see if any of that comes out on film.
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #1377
Veteran Member

Wow! Wow! Very, very nice.

This will date me - but - in 1972-73, in HS, my rich-kid friends' fathers had these and when we went shooting for yearbook, scholarship me with a beater C3, (then a borrowed Spotmatic) I always felt inadequate.

I think that's the root of my camera lust. I wanted but couldn't have (is that the root of ALL lust?).

The LX satisfies something, fundamentally. We'll see if any of that comes out on film.
Well, there's just something special about a well-made-and-designed tool that may go beyond 'wanting,' It's kind of a beauty thing. You don't really have to own it, just want to be around it. I do think it actually can improve one's photography, though: if something feels right, on deep levels you'll just want to engage with it, and that just kind of brings your attention in. A higher-specced camera that just doesn't feel right tends to pull that attention off somewhere else.

But I like the machines. I've often thought that if I hit the lottery I might open a little used camera shop, just to be around the stuff and people, maybe employ some kids and break even on it at this point, but hey. And like I said, some of it's just about familiarity. A couple of things that were pretty low-rent when I was in high school, I'll also just go back to.
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #1378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, there's just something special about a well-made-and-designed tool that may go beyond 'wanting,' It's kind of a beauty thing. You don't really have to own it, just want to be around it. I do think it actually can improve one's photography, though: if something feels right, on deep levels you'll just want to engage with it, and that just kind of brings your attention in. A higher-specced camera that just doesn't feel right tends to pull that attention off somewhere else.

But I like the machines. I've often thought that if I hit the lottery I might open a little used camera shop, just to be around the stuff and people, maybe employ some kids and break even on it at this point, but hey. And like I said, some of it's just about familiarity. A couple of things that were pretty low-rent when I was in high school, I'll also just go back to.
Huh. There is a very small number of members here I've ever read express this attitude. I quietly share your thoughts.

Appreciating the beauty of the camera for itself, or the lens (usually Takumar or M) for engineering and feel.

Enjoying the company of the camera - most of mine are "stored" on a shelf in my study, where I can look at them. Some of these Pentaxes are works of industrial art, aren't they?

I'll enjoy the new cameras and, as I said, be their steward for 10 or 20 years.
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #1379
Banned

Huh. There is a very small number of members here I've ever read express this attitude. I quietly share your thoughts.

Appreciating the beauty of the camera for itself, or the lens (usually Takumar or M) for engineering and feel.

Enjoying the company of the camera - most of mine are "stored" on a shelf in my study, where I can look at them. Some of these Pentaxes are works of industrial art, aren't they?

I'll enjoy the new cameras and, as I said, be their steward for 10 or 20 years.
I know I certainly express this attitude and have made no attempt to hide that. I think RML pretty much summed it up. "if something feels right, on deep levels you'll just want to engage with it, and that just kind of brings your attention in. A higher-specced camera that just doesn't feel right tends to pull that attention off somewhere else." My photography took off when I picked up an SV. while I still use digital for work (local journalism) I know full well that my personal photography is by far better than anything I have done for the newspaper or other local publication. I wish I could say that they are all one in the same, but I simply cannot connect with a modern digital camera they way I connect with my SV. maybe thats a fault on my part as the equipment shouldn't matter, but its the case, or so it would seem. there are two cameras that I truly connect with. my SV and my 6x7. but, my 6x7 is a polaroid back camera and I approach using that camera completely differently and such my results are completely different than 35mm or even from what I would get with 120 roll film. take that away and hand me a digital medium format and I guarantee you my photography will suffer.

you could argue that its about the simplicity of the film camera, or its the design, or its the use of film. I don't know what it is in all honesty. its something though, and my SV, like your LX or RML's F-1 is perfection in every conceivable way, and photography is just more special with it in my hand than anything else.
01-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #1380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I know I certainly express this attitude and have made no attempt to hide that. I think RML pretty much summed it up. "if something feels right, on deep levels you'll just want to engage with it, and that just kind of brings your attention in. A higher-specced camera that just doesn't feel right tends to pull that attention off somewhere else." My photography took off when I picked up an SV. while I still use digital for work (local journalism) I know full well that my personal photography is by far better than anything I have done for the newspaper or other local publication. I wish I could say that they are all one in the same, but I simply cannot connect with a modern digital camera they way I connect with my SV. maybe thats a fault on my part as the equipment shouldn't matter, but its the case, or so it would seem. there are two cameras that I truly connect with. my SV and my 6x7. but, my 6x7 is a polaroid back camera and I approach using that camera completely differently and such my results are completely different than 35mm or even from what I would get with 120 roll film. take that away and hand me a digital medium format and I guarantee you my photography will suffer.

you could argue that its about the simplicity of the film camera, or its the design, or its the use of film. I don't know what it is in all honesty. its something though, and my SV, like your LX or RML's F-1 is perfection in every conceivable way, and photography is just more special with it in my hand than anything else.
Yep well said! I feel that way about my KX that I have been using for 36 years now. It's like an old pair of well worn jeans.

Phil.