Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #1771

So, an MEF with any lens will give the beep or the green led when it's on focus? That's because I found one quite cheap here in LT last week or so, sold online as an ME but it is obviously an MEF

05-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #1772
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Yes, ME F gives beep and focus confirmation even with manual lenses.
05-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #1773

QuoteOriginally posted by bombel Quote
Yes, ME F gives beep and focus confirmation even with manual lenses.
Now I feel compelled to get it!
But... but... I don't need it!
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #1774
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Do they make a black ME F do you know - these are nice - and give the audible beep.

Rich

05-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #1775
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uswrdm02 Quote
Do they make a black ME F do you know - these are nice - and give the audible beep.

Rich
Yes, there were black ones but they are not very common.

K.
05-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #1776
Forum Member

Thanks !

Rich
05-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #1777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElStellino Quote
Now I feel compelled to get it!
But... but... I don't need it!
A common ailment amongst many forum members here BTW, the ME/ME Super has such a fantastic viewfinder, a focus confirmation beep is really overkill (but kinda cool I guess)

05-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #1778
Veteran Member

I kinda stopped buying film cameras last year due to my health, but I couldn't resist this MX that was selling for $25+shipping. Of course that was without the 43 limited
Seems to be in near perfect condition.

05-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #1779
Veteran Member

Colton, you'll have to let us know what you think of the MX. I have one purchased over a year ago that needs some work and I've been holding off sending it to Eric as I've had other priorities <g>. Last roll of film I managed to shoot was in January; not due to a lack of inclination, but of time.

Best,
Kevin
05-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #1780

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I kinda stopped buying film cameras last year due to my health, but I couldn't resist this MX that was selling for $25+shipping. Of course that was without the 43 limited
Seems to be in near perfect condition.
Do the lens aperture numbers on the Limited line up in the right place for the Judas window to read them into the viewfinder display? And if yes, are they very readable being black figures on chrome rather than the white figures on black (as would have been present instead on then-current lenses when the MX was new)? If this question sounds familiar to anyone, it is. I've asked it about as regards old Taks on the MX. Don't know why the fascination, other than it's super-cool if a feature like that -- a "nice to have" feature, not even an essential one -- works on most lenses, including blatantly period-inappropriate ones, introduced over a span of about fifty years. Maybe I should stop asking and get an MX and all the lenses, so as to test for myself.
--Dave
05-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #1781
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Do the lens aperture numbers on the Limited line up in the right place for the Judas window to read them into the viewfinder display? And if yes, are they very readable being black figures on chrome rather than the white figures on black (as would have been present instead on then-current lenses when the MX was new)? If this question sounds familiar to anyone, it is. I've asked it about as regards old Taks on the MX. Don't know why the fascination, other than it's super-cool if a feature like that -- a "nice to have" feature, not even an essential one -- works on most lenses, including blatantly period-inappropriate ones, introduced over a span of about fifty years. Maybe I should stop asking and get an MX and all the lenses, so as to test for myself.
--Dave
I don't have limited lenses to test this, but the Judas Window is just a prism lens angled in such a way as to project into the focusing screen frame whatever is directly beneath the window.

For many of my Takumar lenses the aperture ring doesn't quite line up perfectly (IOW, the K-mount adapter threads are cut such that the lens isn't correctly oriented when fully seated). My guess is the only reason you wouldn't see a black numeral on a silver background would have something to do with light transmission.
Attached Images

05-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #1782
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Do the lens aperture numbers on the Limited line up in the right place for the Judas window to read them into the viewfinder display? And if yes, are they very readable being black figures on chrome rather than the white figures on black (as would have been present instead on then-current lenses when the MX was new)?
--Dave
The aperture ring on the 43 Ltd. lines up perfectly with the window and the f/stops also line up perfectly. The f/stops on the silver lens are very easy to read in the viewfinder. Haven't tried a Takumar.
05-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #1783
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The curious thing for me, is that when in dim light the white on black of the M lens engravings, becomes black on grey (presumably from the relief of the engravings). If using the Tamron Adapall-II lenses, the KM mount has a repeater aperture ring in right place for the window.
05-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #1784
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Haven't tried a Takumar.
With Taks and other M42 lenses, it is anyone's guess how they will align. None of my M42 normal lenses (Ricoh, Mamiya, Pentax) place the index mark at top center on the bodies they were made to fit. Strangely, I have one combination that displays aperture correctly for my K-mount bodies with a Judas window. That is my Vivitar 135/2.8 when paired with one of my two genuine Pentax K-mount adapters. The other adapter is off by several degrees.

Steve
05-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #1785
Banned

I just tried four different screw mount lenses on my MX. zeiss planar 50 ZM, auto-takumar 55, super-takumar 55 and SMC Takumar 55. the only one that actually worked was the Zeiss. none of them actually lined up at 12oclock so it would be useless anyway, but the aperture was visible in the window with the zeiss. I believe this is because of the placement of the aperture ring relative to the rear of the lens. the takumar's aperture rings simply aren't far enough forward on the lens to be seen through the window. so aligned or not, I don't think you will be able to utilize the window with takumars.