Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #2281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Here's my latest acquisition. This guy is sort of a rescue case that I found on ebay for $4.99 +shipping. The shutter isn't working and the hotshoe is missing but other than that, it seems pretty clean. Tuesday it will be off to see Eric.
Now I will have all three original K bodies in black.
Nice pickup Colton! I have a donor hot-shoe from a parts K2 if you or Eric need one.

Phil.

02-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #2282
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice pickup Colton! I have a donor hot-shoe from a parts K2 if you or Eric need one.

Phil.
Thanks Phil.
I wrote to Eric about the hotshoe and he says he's got the part.
Hopefully the shutter issue isn't to big a deal.
02-16-2013, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #2283
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For the LX, I completed my FB-1 + accessories but still missing the FA-1W, FA-2, FE-1 and FF-1

02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #2284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
For the LX, I completed my FB-1 + accessories but still missing the FA-1W, FA-2, FE-1 and FF-1
Nice collection!

This shop in Austria has a boxed mint FE-1, not sure about the price of 190EUR.

https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/pentax-fe1-finder-p-2116.html

Phil.

02-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #2285
Pentaxian

I think the FB-1+FD-1 provides as good a view as the FE-1 while providing aperture info and I am certain that the wiast level FF-1 is not going to be very useful . . . but I would still like to have them anyway . . .
02-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #2286
Inactive Account

Well gang I bought my first dslr a couple of days ago on Ebay . A K20D. I feel a bit like a traitor. Film cameras have been my life. I had a minor digital camera but it didn't mean that much to me. I almost didn't consider it a camera. Here it is.
Attached Images

02-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #2287
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newpentaxman Quote
Well gang I bought my first dslr a couple of days ago on Ebay . A K20D. I feel a bit like a traitor. Film cameras have been my life. I had a minor digital camera but it didn't mean that much to me. I almost didn't consider it a camera. Here it is.
You are really going to enjoy your K20D. My experience with digital has been that it helped make me a better film photographer. My K10D (very similar body) also helped me to appreciate the 35mm viewfinder experience. Have fun!

Steve

(BTW...the money spent on an aftermarket screen is well-worth it if you are going to be using faster manual focus glass...)

02-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #2288

Concur on both. The K20D is my first and so far only DSLR and the only non-silly (non-P&S) digital I've had. I was lucky enough to get it free four years ago (using reward points). Nice machine, but even nicer with a Katzeye screen. Newer DSLRs can beat it in some ways, the only one of which that actually bothers me being its high-ISO performance. It's awfully noisy beyond ISO 800, whereas some friends with newer Nikons can do reasonably at ISO 12800 or something outrageous like that. If your mindset is film, this is not much of a drawback, because you'd think in terms like of course Delta 3200 Pro is much grainier than Pan F 50. The K20D does nicely as a full-manual machine. Attach Takumar lens via adapter and carry on! (You want a 35/2.0 Super Tak, or even better, SMC Tak, as your new "normal" lens.)
--Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are really going to enjoy your K20D. My experience with digital has been that it helped make me a better film photographer. My K10D (very similar body) also helped me to appreciate the 35mm viewfinder experience. Have fun!

Steve

(BTW...the money spent on an aftermarket screen is well-worth it if you are going to be using faster manual focus glass...)
02-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #2289
Forum Member

Nice setup. I think I am lacking a few view finders as well. I need to check which ones i still need.
02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #2290
Forum Member

Here are a few viewfinders i have I think I am missing. I am missing the FA-1W. My base FB1 has a few scratches on it as well. My favorites are the FA-2 and FF-1.

02-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #2291
Pentaxian

Nice . . . with boxes too . . .
02-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #2292
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm just missing the FD-2. The FF-1 looks cute but is unusable in reality. Mostly I just use the FA-1W as the dioptre adjustment on the FA-1 is just not quite enough for my eyes.

K.
02-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #2293
Pentaxian

If you don't already have the FA-1/FA-2 then the FD-2 is a good compliment to have with the FD-1 as it provides a compact viewfinder alternative ready to put on the FB-1. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a diopter adjustment if you need it.

I have the Nikon F3 waist level finder and focusing without using the magnifier is not accurate enough for me and of course putting your eyes to it and using the magnifier defeats the purpose. I anticipate that the Pentax FF-1 will be the same? If it becomes available at a reasonable price I might just pick it up anyway. With the FC-1, I can focus at waist level distance due to the magnification but I can't properly frame the shot because of it.

Of course I want the FA-2 as it looks better without the flash shoe and the narrower top angle looking more like the original AP.
02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #2294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I could use the additiional diopter range in the FA-1W but I just put a +2 SMC Correction Lens Adapter M on and reset the adjustment from +1.5 back to neutral - it is just right.

I have also become accustomed to the FD-1, which has the wider diopter range, since I started using the K-01 - I'm not forced to use an eye-level VF any more after learning to use the LCD. The camera hold position, slightly away from my body for handheld, is nearly identical to that of the K-01. I've managed to learn to use what is intended to be a tripod device for handheld. Since I have to use my left eye now FD-1 also gets my nose out of the way.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
02-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #2295
Forum Member

If you don't already have the FA-1/FA-2 then the FD-2 is a good compliment to have with the FD-1 as it provides a compact viewfinder alternative ready to put on the FB-1. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a diopter adjustment if you need it.

I have the Nikon F3 waist level finder and focusing without using the magnifier is not accurate enough for me and of course putting your eyes to it and using the magnifier defeats the purpose. I anticipate that the Pentax FF-1 will be the same? If it becomes available at a reasonable price I might just pick it up anyway. With the FC-1, I can focus at waist level distance due to the magnification but I can't properly frame the shot because of it.

Of course I want the FA-2 as it looks better without the flash shoe and the narrower top angle looking more like the original AP.
That is the reason I like the FA-2 as well, I think it looks better, but don't like that it is missing the f stop read out. I always wondered if I should have went the f3 route instead of the lx, but since I was given an MX and a winder the choice was made for me as I had a lense already.