Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #2911

This is my 'new' film toy. Bought for 25 EUR ($30) dollars in practically pristine condition. The one shown in the images below (found online) is not the one I bought, but the condition is the same. Mint. I just had to buy a new battery and it's now good to go. Focusing seems almost on par with my K5. Mirror slap, not so much like my K5. It's a beautifully engineered and manufactured camera. It's beyond me that it has 1/250 flash sync, a feature that still eludes all Pentax DSLRs.

01-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #2912
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I like that strap too. But if you figure roughly 100 yen to the dollar, that strap is either $38 or $42. Plus shipping to a US address. I can wait.

I'm on my cell phone at the moment, killing time at the doctor's office. So I'm unable to post any images. I'll take care of that once I get home.

Currently I own four Pentax film cameras: a Spotmatic SP, an MV, a KX, and my most recent acquisition, a very clean K2.

In a previous life I was a camera dealer, and I owned a variety of Pentaxes back then, but they were all inventory. The ones I owned then that I actually used were an MX, a KX, and an LX. I really enjoyed using the MX and KX -- enjoyed the KX enough to buy another one a few years ago -- but I loved that LX. It was inventory, so I knew it would leave me sooner or later, but it was also in very clean condition, plus it had the grip and motor drive, so I put a high price on it and didn't bargain, either. Well I had it for less than a month before somebody had to have it and was willing to pay my price. Oh well. In recent years, I've been following LX prices on eBay, and I just can't find any deals. I have pro Canon and Nikon gear, and I've paid less for each of those cameras, a couple with motor drives, even, than what a clean LX goes for on eBay these days, say around $250, sometimes more, very occasionally less. That's a lot for a 35mm film camera these days. Pentaxians must be a loyal bunch of folks to sustain such a demand that the LX sells for such prices.
01-07-2015, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #2913
Veteran Member

My newest camera. a hardly used Super Program. Came with all the original booklets.

Bonus: My Chinon CM-5

Last edited by malinku; 01-07-2015 at 12:28 PM.
01-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #2914
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
This is my 'new' film toy. Bought for 25 EUR ($30) dollars in practically pristine condition. The one shown in the images below (found online) is not the one I bought, but the condition is the same. Mint. I just had to buy a new battery and it's now good to go. Focusing seems almost on par with my K5. Mirror slap, not so much like my K5. It's a beautifully engineered and manufactured camera. It's beyond me that it has 1/250 flash sync, a feature that still eludes all Pentax DSLRs.
I have the PZ-1 (the US market version of the non-panorama version of that camera). I have owned it since I was a much younger man and it was my photographic mainstay for a long long time. I shot a lot of film using that camera.

01-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #2915

Best gear ever

My best SLR ever... I cannot think about another that can give me such pleasure in exposing film...

LX

One of my K-mount lens

01-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #2916

Photos: Gallery
Another MX guy

Photography has been my hobby for over 55 years, and I recently did a little on-line exhibition for some students, making this little thown-off still life into a graphics display poster (can't find the good copy but you get the idea) of my 3 favorite using film cameras and the films I use. As I collect cameras, I have no shortage of machines to choose from. These are the ones you'd have to pry from my cold, dead fingers. The MX has been extolled by others, so I shall not dwell on it. I shoot a lot of half-frame. The Oly Pen FT is the obvious choice. It's also rock solid and a sexy little beast. I have an Exakta to Pen adapter, so I have dozens of lenses available to me I can use on my Pen. And the Mamiya C330 is a workhorse, with vastly underrated optics. One stop down, my 135mm f4.5 betters the 'blad lenses I had. My first camera was a TLR, so I have no problem working with them - as a matter of fact, they turn my crank!

Sorry for the quality of this little mock-up. I can't find the final copy!!

While the LX was Pentax's moment in the sun 35mm wise, I preferred the MX, and when digital came around I went Pentax for obvious reasons. I also had a 645, which I sold to by a car which I needed more. Regret it still, and will be getting a 645 soon, which to my mind was the perfect camera.

I also use a Linhof Kardan 4x5, but that's another world.

Back to the MX - I have 4 of them, two K1000s, two Spotmatics, an LX, an Sl 500, and some other electric gizmo (PX or something like that) which is buried in the basement and shall stay there. It's okay, but I never had a feeling for those electronic "transitional" cameras. I have about 19 Pentax lenses, including the 77mm f1.8 Limited, the 50mm M f1.4, the 35mm f2.8 and the 200mm f4, which are amongst my favorites, as well as bucketloads of off brands and Tamrons, so I'm not lens poor. Letting you know one of my other quirks, I dislike zooms intensely. I have only two that I use on a regular basis, one the 24-60mm f2.8 Sigma EF, which sits on my K10. Why I like it, I can't specify, but I actually love it. Maybe it's the range of focal lengths, maybe its the wide aperture, maybe it's because it's tack sharp and has practically no distortion. Why don't I like zooms? I take poor pictures with them, racking in and out framing, rather than walking around to get the best angle and the best picture. Maybe my Sigma with it's tiny range, makes me treat it like a prime. Zooms simply make for lazy photographers.

I'm never without an MX body loaded with B&W film in my gadget bag. What lenses I take depends on what I'm shooting. The next two photos are my favorite MX user, and a photo taken with it (Fomapan 400, Pentax-M 50mm f4 macro, film developed in Xtol stock, exposure 1/125th at f5.6) Scanned 5x7 print on Arista Edu Grade 3

Last edited by gord lucas; 01-19-2015 at 05:00 PM.
01-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #2917
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RolleiJo Quote
My best SLR ever... I cannot think about another that can give me such pleasure in exposing film...

LX

One of my K-mount lens

You just can't go wrong with the Mighty LX!!

01-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #2918
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
You just can't go wrong with the Mighty LX!!
Yeah, I just wish Pentax had built as many LXes as they built K1000s. That way one would be as easy to afford as your average medium format camera these days.
01-20-2015, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #2919
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Yeah, I just wish Pentax had built as many LXes as they built K1000s. That way one would be as easy to afford as your average medium format camera these days.
Then there is the matter of the LX accessories too!
01-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #2920

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Then there is the matter of the LX accessories too!
Yes! I'd like to have more of them too! This camera is so amazing that I wish it will last for many decades!
01-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #2921
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RolleiJo Quote
Yes! I'd like to have more of them too! This camera is so amazing that I wish it will last for many decades!
Well, seeing that your LX is probably already around 30 years old, and no doubt working perfectly, I see no reason why it shouldn't last for decades to come.
01-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #2922

Hi there, it's my first post since my welcomes and introductions topic a few months ago (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/276127-parisian.html) ! I've had quite a long time to take some new photos (8 rolls total, 2 only back when I subscrided). I tested the smc-M 50 1.7 and smc-K 28 3.5 (what a jewel) with joy. I'll probably be posting some photos into the cool let's see those film shots forum soon. The following picture was taken with my MX and 50 1.7 on Ektar 100. MX, which by the way shows some signs of need for a CLA since the meter doesn't wanna work anymore (I think it's just a small electric contact issue).

A Few weeks ago, as my MX wasn't working properly, I happened to look at pictures of black Pentaxes, with designs I kinda fell in love with. I happenned to find a cheap black KX (30 euros, which makes it 35/40 dollars, I guess ?). After checking with the seller, everything seemed right and so I bought it. It has some brassing on the edges but I really don't think it diminishes its charm, quite the opposit in fact. I like the way it feels in hand, it is strong. The match needle meter display is so nice. Overall it just has everything I need (plus the mirror lock which the MX didn't have) and it's wonderfull. The first roll of film is currently running through it as write, i'm really looking forward to the results. No more talks, here's the picture (by the way it's coupled with the K serie 28mm f3.5).
Attached Images

01-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #2923
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karénine Quote
A Few weeks ago, as my MX wasn't working properly, I happened to look at pictures of black Pentaxes, with designs I kinda fell in love with. I happened to find a cheap black KX
I think these two are the nicest all manual cameras made by Pentax. You have good taste, the KX is an excellent find.

---------- Post added 22-01-15 at 11:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gord lucas Quote
While the LX was Pentax's moment in the sun 35mm wise, I preferred the MX,
+1. I have my pristine LX loaded with Ektar 100, but it just doesn't thrill me as much as the MX or KX. Perhaps I just don't like the idea that it is not fully independent from automation.
01-22-2015, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #2924

Found this on ebay. There couldn't be many left in the wild. The woman won it in a contest as a teenager and used it all over Europe. She kept it in good shape and it still works fine.

01-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #2925
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
Found this on ebay. There couldn't be many left in the wild. The woman won it in a contest as a teenager and used it all over Europe. She kept it in good shape and it still works fine.
Sure looks like it's in very good shape. But if it is not, I am certain Eric (Home) can make it factory fresh as he did for my original AP.

BTW, I also have that preset 55mm f2.2 and it is quite a performer.